May 27, 2002, 10:02 PM
Thread OP

Never ending problems

I just can't get a break with my hornet. How am I ever going to get the chance to learn to fly it if I'm always troubleshooting and problems keep coming up? It always wants to do its own thing. No matter how much trim I give the damn thing it always just wants to go its own way, especially towards the tail. Today it did this and my tail blades struck the ground causing my motor gear to disengage from the main gear. I don't know if this is good or bad but I don't want some sorta problem after every time something like this happens.

Like I said my motor shifted causing the gears to disengage(again and again!). This keeps happening. Almost every accident I have always knocks that motor loose. Even a little hard landing will do it. I have the screws tightened till they can't move no more. What do I have do to? Use a monkey wrench? I keep tightening them, they come loose. Tighten them, come loose, blah blah blah!

Also if it wasn't bad enough, when I give full left rudder movement, I hear this fast clicking/grinding noise. This starts from about half throttle to full. What could it be???

And!!! I must have tightened my set screw too much for the tail boom. I noticed it was loose so I took it out and there was an indention embedded in the boom where the set screw went in!!! How can I fix this?

Does anybody around here ever had this much problems with their first hornet?
to remove ads between posts
May 28, 2002, 02:08 AM
Sounds like you should try and find a local helicopter person to help you get your Hornet set up. When I was first learning, I was lucky enough to have found someone to help me. In the beginning, the simple things are really quite difficult and it helps to have someone SHOW you rather than just tell you. Good luck and best wishes!
May 28, 2002, 02:13 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
Helis have to be setup correct to have any real chance to fly. If you can, find someone local who can check it out for you. Being a micro and your first heli dose add more challenge to the project.

Check out the other forums on the Hornet for standard modes, like a collar on the shaft so the gears don't slip.

Just do a search on the Hornet and follow the links to the how too's.
May 28, 2002, 02:37 AM
The whole Hornet tail drive seems weak to me and hard for a beginner to learn on. I personally learned on a Piccolo without much delay but soon wanted a better proformer ala: hornet but it's been expensive as far as the tail goes.
Last edited by Crasher; May 28, 2002 at 03:05 AM.
May 28, 2002, 10:21 AM
Thread OP
I guess I have to find somebody to help me. It would sure be great. Should I get someone who actually owns a hornet to help me, or could any heli pilot help me? I know people in my club who have .30 and larger helis. Could they help me?

The only person I know who has a hornet who lives closets to me lives about 2 hours away from me. It was who I bought my hornet from. Not very many people around here have a hornet. I might have to post a topic asking for people in my area that can help me.

Someone else mentiond sending my hornet to someone like Johnk or Walt and Fred, you mentioned it too. It would be great to have my hornet set up by a really great expert, but sending my little hornet so far away, who knows what would happen to it. I would rather keep it close to me. My hornet doesen't like to be away from me!
May 28, 2002, 10:36 AM
Adam,

Anyone who has been flying a (gas or electric) helicoptor for a while should be able to set yours up. If you have local members, I suggest you use them first.

Art
May 28, 2002, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Arthur Knowles
Adam,

Anyone who has been flying a (gas or electric) helicoptor for a while should be able to set yours up. If you have local members, I suggest you use them first.

Art

He's right, a Hornet should be simple compared. I think you ask someone at your hobby store if there is anyone around who flys gassers or electrics. Also I suggest gluing a CF rod (I use an extra landing gear rod) to prevent boom strikes (they cause the gears to break ala: clicking sound you hear).

Good luck
May 28, 2002, 11:51 AM
Adam, Sorry you're having problems. Your situation is the reason I would absolutley not recommend micro helis for learning to fly. You're just asking for additional frustration.

I fly larger helis and decided to get a hornet and piccolo. Sold them both. My experience is not too unsimilar to yours, but I was able to hover them. Mechanically they're very suseptable to having the trimming knocked out And they're just plain harder to fly.

If you really want to learn to fly as opposed to fiddle think about getting something larger and sturdier -- from personal experience I can vouch for the Eco. Likely the Logo, Corona, VoyagerE would be good too. Also any plastic fantastic .30 size gasser would work well.

-edg-

Quick Reply