Nov 20, 2005, 06:57 PM
Modelrater Deluxe
Thread OP

Western Colorado Slope Challenge 2006 Edition

We had a planning meeting yesterday and here is what we have come up with so far.
The date is not firm yet but it looks like it will the first weekend in May.

On Sat. of the event we will be having combat at flattop and there is discussion of changing the format a little.... more like how you guys did it at glacier ridge this year.

On Sun. there will be nothing organized but a bunch of us are going to head up to Lands End on the Grand Mesa for big air flying. Of course that depends on whether or not the road is open up to there.

I will post updates as they happen.

Dale
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2005, 07:46 PM
plane obsessed
Man I wish we could have everybody flying and have a few volunteers to register kills- that would be the best way. It's hard when the lift is pumping to stop long enough to sign everybodies card.

Really looking to flying this years event at Flattop- should be a blast! Maybe we could get some of those Super 77 guy's to contribute the night life! I never had so much fun at a camping party- well, maybe once...
Nov 20, 2005, 08:00 PM
Modelrater Deluxe
Thread OP
That is kinda what we had in mind...Have a couple of judges to oversee things and when there is a kill the victor calls the judge and and the victim over and then sign the card so the victor never has to stop flying. If there are freq. conflicts we could do two flight groups but it would be nice not to have any.

Dale
Nov 20, 2005, 08:23 PM
Suspended Account
I'm not sure how exactly it worked on glacier ridge, but I invisioned the downed pilot going to the person that killed them, signing the card then launching again... perhaps have the card on a string hanging from the fliers hand or tx so they don't have to dig it out...

I think either way, we are looking at a strickly combat event, so there is more time, plus, it's hellova lotta fun.

Maybe WCSC needs to be changed to 'western colorado slope combat' or 'western colorado combat challenge' (wccc?)...

No doubt you frontrangers have the experience... but we are working on training up some people.. together with Lavawing we should smash the lot of you...

Nov 20, 2005, 09:17 PM
The lift is out there....
I'm in, if I can learn how to fly combat in time. You should still include some races and such. Its fun to see it all.
Nov 20, 2005, 10:02 PM
Where's the wind?
Should I plan to come a day ahead again? Last year it worked out great as I was the only front ranger that actually flew in great lift the day before everyone else arrived.

I like the stringed signature idea Arbo!

Why not race combat (kills count, not laps)? We seem to get alot more hits flying a course. Make the poles worth -1 kill to keep them standing all day.

Andrew
Last edited by the_canuck; Nov 20, 2005 at 10:07 PM.
Nov 20, 2005, 10:30 PM
Throw Caution to the Wind
I'm in! (As far as I know. That's a long way in the future for a guy who doesn't really plan anything.)

I wonder how many Bees it will take me to reach May?

All Combat, All the Time? What about some disorganized MOM races. Or Fastest Frontside Pass? Or limbo? Or Pin-the-Alula-on-the-Event-Coordinator? And what about Ridiculously Distant Spot Landing? I've been practicing my spot landing on Every Raven Ridge outing! (It's a 1/4 mile or so down to the parking area.)

My wild guess is that Grand Mesa will still be a snowbank in early May. But what do I know?-- I've been in the tropics for 8 years. Goggles and snowshoes, and maybe we can do it. But... That is the sunny side of the mountian, so maybe it'll be fine.

There are lots of other places to fly in the area, if Flat Top isn't enough, and if it's snowy up high. I'll do my best to scout out a dozen alternatives.

Race Combat? Two events: 1, kills count, laps don't. 2, laps count, kills don't (survival does).
Nov 20, 2005, 11:05 PM
It's a new variation on thermal duration flying. Kind of a cross between slope-distance and x-country skiing bi-athalon style. I just know it will be a big hit. Oh yeah, throw in some combat too.
Nov 20, 2005, 11:06 PM
Race Combat? Two events: 1, kills count, laps don't. 2, laps count, kills don't (survival does).[/QUOTE]

Laps + Kills
Nov 20, 2005, 11:14 PM
I'd go for full contact man on man on man on man on man.... slope racing..
Basically give everyone a must complete goal like 10-20 full laps of
the course and kills score bonus points. Trick is to make it timed
so that you can't just waste time combatting or you won't complete
the course.

ian
Nov 20, 2005, 11:41 PM
Throw Caution to the Wind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
I'd go for full contact man on man on man on man on man.... slope racing..
Basically give everyone a must complete goal like 10-20 full laps of
the course and kills score bonus points. Trick is to make it timed
so that you can't just waste time combatting or you won't complete
the course.

ian
They did something like this at the Weasel Fest earlier this year. Sounded like great fun! And like it was tough to even SURVIVE, let alone complete the course. With enough planes in the air at once, it should be excellent mayhem!
Nov 21, 2005, 10:50 AM
I like Ian's idea as well. Of course having a number of events, like Lavawing talked about, would mix things up and make the event alot of fun. If you can also push the event out into the summer a bit more to guarrentee Grand Mesa that would be my vote!!

- David
Nov 21, 2005, 11:03 AM
WCSC take two! Cool, I guess I now have an excuse to renew my AMA membership. (or will it be required again this year?)
Nov 21, 2005, 01:03 PM
The Predator
I'm in. Build'em tough and bring two if you want to fly all weekend. After the Glacier event last year I think we need a triage center for incoming casualties!!! A M*A*S*H unit for wings. Last, we should get some dialoge going so all combat pilots will feel comfortible flying a combat pattern/wide turn figure 8 pattern. Once you get that figured out there will be TONS more HITS/ACTION and the swarm become a wild blob of mayhaim !!!
Nov 21, 2005, 02:35 PM
Modelrater Deluxe
Thread OP
The only problem of moving the event back into the summer so we can guarantee that Lands End will be open is that the wind at Flattop becomes hit or miss. Flattop is flyable most of the summer but there are quite a few days that are dead calm. If we had a high country site that would be suitable for combat it would make things easier.

Dale

Quick Reply