Nov 20, 2005, 10:44 AM
Thoughts Become Things
Thread OP

Sig Riser or Gentle Lady? Which one would you build, to complete the fleet.

I have a 100" thermal glider, a 40" glider and various electrics. I am looking for something in the middle, a 2 meter bird, that I can just have fun with, fly out of fairly small fields, Hi-Start launch. I have heard so much about the Gentle Lady and the Sig Riser, just wondering which one would best fit.

Hi-Starts require a strong wing, I don't know how strong the wings are on the GL or Riser. I don't mind doing a little modifying but I would like to keep the glider as stock as possible.

Thanks for any advice.

Jimmy
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2005, 11:24 AM

Riser-GL

Hi Jimmy,
I did build the Riser 18 years ago and flown it for years. Handlaunche, winching and soaring. It is a joy to build and to fly. I especialy like the fusalage wich has no edges, you can sand it very smooth and rounded. The wings are strong enough for a rough gummy launche. I never build the gentle lady so I acn not compare them. But the riser I can recomand you!
Bye, Jac
Nov 20, 2005, 11:34 AM
I have not built either but have heard great things about the Gentle Lady...seems to be one of the best all round beginners gliders...
How about a beautiful Bird of Time?
Nov 20, 2005, 12:28 PM
If forced to choose between them, I'd choose the GL.
Both have a flat bottomed airfoil which limits them to light wind days.
I'd go with the Dynaflite Daydream. It's a more recent design with a better airfoil. You can download the instruction manual from the Tower site. Many of the suggestions on these kits that you read here have been incorporated in the instructions. Like move the radio gear forward to reduce the nose ballast.
Nov 20, 2005, 02:30 PM
B for Bruce
You've got the basics covered so how about something pretty this time?

2M Lil Bird from www.skybench.com .....

Or a Jester 2M from www.laserarts.com ....

The Gentle Lady is a classic but it also has some serious shortcomings if you fly in much wind at all. These other birds will do almost as well in the calm but won't cringe in fear when the wind comes up a little. Not to mention that I understand that the GL kits leave a LOT to be desired in terms of quality of fit. To me that sort of thing would totally ruin my building enjoyment if I'm constantly having to modify and compensate for mistakes in a kit.
Nov 20, 2005, 02:53 PM
Matthews make a good point
Kit quality and clarity of instructions would be a very strong no.1 on my list. Other factors like wing loading, wind penetration, dihedral, can all be compensated for through help from an experienced persion....

but badly finished, badly fitting kit parts would totally ruin it for me and could even put some newbies off the sport...

Off course your experience yourself so you would be able to handle a poor kit...
Nov 20, 2005, 07:39 PM
Michael K.
Add to Bruce's list Great Planes Spirit Elite and Art Hobby Boar. This year I found flying my Riser about as much fun as flying a kite.
Nov 20, 2005, 07:51 PM
Jimmy

Both good planes. GL is more fun to fly. The Riser is more fun to build. Just my biased opinion.

erich
Nov 20, 2005, 08:49 PM
Slopeaholic
I've always been partial to the Gentle Lady. I learned to fly on it many moons ago, and recently built another for back to basics fun flying. Apparently the new kits are laser cut so hopefully the poor fit of the die-crushed kits has improved.

-hutch
Nov 20, 2005, 09:29 PM
Thoughts Become Things
Thread OP
I've read posts of people with 20+ year old Gentle Lady's, not bad. This is a classic bird, that is obviously tough. The Sig riser looks rugged also. So many choices out there I am really looking forward to this next building project, lots of choices just add to the excitement

Since I started this post I have been looking at other 2M birds, besides the GL & Riser, the 2M Kestrel from NES looks nice. Decisions, decisions. The Gentle Lady sounds like a sailplane everyone must own at one time or another.

Keep the suggestions coming!!!!! I'm chomping at the bit to start the next project.

I definitely want a 2M sailplane this time around.

Bruce, that 2M Lil Bird is nice. My 100" sailplane is an Oly II from Skybench and I couldn't be happier with it. Great quality in their kits.

Thanks Jimmy
Nov 20, 2005, 09:41 PM
Glad to know I'm not the only one "hooked" on these sweet little gliders. I do have a gental lady - fun for many years but my favorites are the Aspire (no motor) , and the electraglide two and three meter electrics. Don't know much about the sig riser but I'll bet I would go for that over the GL in your situation. Best to ya.
Nov 20, 2005, 10:03 PM
Consider the Airtronics Olympic 650. 72" span, 650 Sq In wing area, flys great with no vices, knocks-down so that no component is longer than 36" and the tail comes off. Packs into a 36 x 10 x 3 inch travel box (inside dimensions).

Stretch the wing tips just 3.5 inches each for a full 2M span and 710 sq in.

If you are patient and score a kit on eBay, you will find the materials and cut parts far superior to either the GL or Riser.

If you build from scratch using RCM plans, then order an Oly II wing kit from Skybench so you don't have to cut ribs. You'll have a few left over, but what the heck...

Tim
Nov 21, 2005, 01:11 AM
If it were me, I'd just get a Skybench LilBird. I like the way Rays kits build and perform. It will be everything you state you wanted, but with the more modern airfoil, it will be more versatile (fun in my opinion) to fly. You'll be able to speed out of the sink, float in the lift, and penetrate into moderate wind.
Nov 21, 2005, 01:33 AM
If you don't mind the price, the 2 meter lil'bird has it all. Good airfoil, quality kit (both the fit and the balsa), and builds to 22 ounces which is the lightest of any glider mentioned so far. It's worth the price.
The ultimate 2 meter built-up is Mark Drela's Allegro-lite. There are plans on the CharlesRiver site. This glider builds to less than 20 ounces, is winchproof, and has the optimised Drela airfoils. Also can be built as an electric or some people have built two fuses, one electric, one for glider.
It's an advanced build so you have to have the confidence to try - you are a builder. Laser arts has a partial kit available.
Nov 21, 2005, 07:32 AM
I have built and flown both the GL and athe Riser. I would go with the Riser. The kit is a better builders kit and the wing is stronger than the GL wing.

Quick Reply