May 26, 2002, 05:03 PM
Gromit,Rebel w\o applause
Thread OP

t-ifo's the best trainer type plane

I have been flying RC for 2 years, all electric, and have flown many different planes. The problem is always the same, I want to fly but not drive to a school or field to fly, besides by the time I get off work, eat and load up everything, the wind comes up or there is 20 kids playing there. I decided that my back yard is now big enough to fly in (45X60) with trees, hedges,powerlines,a shed ect,. Yes, I tell myself its Big enough, sure it is. So I decide that a IFO has the best chance of survival. My radio dosen't have v-tail mixing and I don't want to spend more money on a mixer so I ordered the t-ifo from Dan at wild r/c. It was here in 2 days. Anyway I took it to a big field for the maiden flight, it flew great except it needed more control throw, when I got home I adjusted it for max throw and took it out back, what a blast, it turns in a foot or 2 and is so manuverable I can dodge all the obsticles,( most of the time) and when it hit things I just pick it up and let it rip, no damage. Now when the urge hits I fly in the back yard and over the roof. What a great plane.
Jim
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2002, 07:18 PM
Balsa Builder
Jim, sounds like a good deal. The other great thing about the IFO's is the fact that if you do dork them into something, they are very durable. I was flying a mini IFO inside a gym and while trying to pitch it straight up I kept flipping it on its back (2 ft or less in the air) and kept coming down on the ground (flying it on 7.2 volt lithiums so I didn't have much power for good hovering) the motor got shoved around, but just a quick adjustment and I was back in the air.

--Paul
May 27, 2002, 03:38 PM
I've got a Trainer IFO as well. If you can't fly this plane, you won't be able to fly any other plane out there! It is easy to fly, fun and durable (especially when covered in ripstop). Highly recommended.

Regards,
wattsup
May 27, 2002, 06:52 PM
Gromit,Rebel w\o applause
Thread OP
I've been flying as often as my batteries have been charging up(I'm ordering a few more) and have been praticing hovering up to myself and catching it on the leading edge, must remember to shut down the motor first, this plane is to much fun, I'm always waiting for the batteries to charge.
Jim
May 27, 2002, 07:52 PM
MKH
MKH
The T-IFO can be built stock, then later, you can snip the dihedral thread, fix the rudder, and set it up for elevons like the Mark III and go for aerobatics. A lot of versitility in this trainer.

My backyard is 60x80 with nothing in it. Well, some weeds, but that's about it. Sounds like a big yard, until you try to fly something in it. All the IFO's are fine in this area.

My IFO's are down for recovering with ripstop. My Mark III is now using the GWS-EPS100 drive, which is a 280 motor and gearbox, and is so much smoother than the Horst units I've tried. Easy mounting too. With the 3 cell Lithium Polymer pack, it has plenty of power and long duration. It's geared 4.43:1, so my amps are a little lower than usual, and I can use an 11x4.7 if I want max thrust. My Mini has the 2 cell lionpoly pack and GWS-A drive, and it's everything Dan says it is. I'm still working on the flying, so I crash alot, and they just keep going. I've never been so happy with a design.

Marcus

Quick Reply