Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by new flyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 19, 2006, 07:07 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Originally Posted by Heli X
What does "pylon" mean in reference to the plane. Here's the link ...
Rather than having the wing mount directly to the fuselage, it is mounted on a stalk, or pylon to hold it above the wing. This provides or a cleaner air flow over the wing.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2006, 08:35 AM
After looking at the pics again, I noticed that the area of the fuse where the wing is mounted looked like he had trimed it down some, so I figures that was probably what he was refering to. I've always known a pylon to be a structural support or something vertical (pole, bouy, cone, etc.) that is raced around. If it would have been like a free flight glider where the wing is mounted above the fuse using "stand offs" (pylons) I would have know exactly what he was refering to. Thanks for the clearification.

Oh yeah what about incidense....nevermind. I had the right idea.
Dec 19, 2006, 08:38 AM
Incidence, angle of attack-

copied and pasted from


Another common usage is in aviation, where it refers to the angle between the wing's chord and the longitudinal axis of an aircraft (a fixed value). Fig. 2 shows a side view of part of an aeroplane. The wing (dotted blue line) makes an angle a with the fuselage (solid blue line). The wings are typically mounted at a small positive angle of incidence, to allow the fuselage to be "flat" to the airflow in normal cruising flight. Angles of incidence of about 6 are common on most general aviation designs.

Another term for angle of incidence in this context is rigging angle. It should not be confused with the angle of attack, which is the angle the wing chord presents to the airflow in flight. Note that some ambiguity in this terminology exists, as some engineering texts that focus solely on the study of airfoils and their medium may use either term when referring to angle of attack. The use of the term "angle of incidence" to refer to the angle of attack occurs chiefly in British usage.
Dec 25, 2006, 05:54 PM
BD Flyer's Avatar
I'm very, very, very embarassed to ask this question..........

What is a pushrod

Well, I am going to start building my first ARF and I am not sure what that is.

Dec 25, 2006, 09:08 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
A push rod, or control rod, is the connecting rod between the servo and the control surface, such as the rudder or elevator.
Dec 25, 2006, 09:14 PM
BD Flyer's Avatar
Oh, thank you! I am building up my ARF knowledge
Jan 13, 2007, 07:28 AM
i keep seeing the word crystal written.

what is it referring to?

Jan 13, 2007, 07:52 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Murocflyer's Avatar
Originally Posted by wild_man
i keep seeing the word crystal written.

what is it referring to?


It's one of these. It goes in your receiver. Of course there are ones that go in your transmitter also, same but different.
Last edited by Murocflyer; Oct 28, 2013 at 11:18 PM.
Jan 13, 2007, 10:23 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
The crystal determines what channel your receiver will listen to so that it can communicate with your transmitter.

You may find these threads useful as well.

What you need to know about receivers

Radio information resources for new flyers
Jan 13, 2007, 10:29 AM
ahh thanks. i remember now.......

what about a prop saver?

are these ready to purchase or do you make them yourself etc.??

thanks for the replys. as a newbie i find it difficult to search on here and find what you're looking for.
Jan 13, 2007, 08:38 PM
Registered User
Hello wildman,

A propsaver is just that. Take a look at this link. I hope it works so you can see it.

Jan 13, 2007, 08:47 PM
Registered User
I have a question..

ESC? I have been going over the beginners training stuff on electronics (which I really seem to have a challenge understanding) and I don't recall reading an explanation for that term.
I'm trying to remember back to rudder only models that I read about in Flying Models magazine that there was an escapement (something with a rubber band wound up to give power for each flight? This is not like that is it?

Thanks ahead of time,

Last edited by Airhead9; Jan 14, 2007 at 11:00 PM.
Jan 14, 2007, 11:54 PM
Great discussion. I learned alot just by reading, and hope to learn more and in the process be of value to others..Yo take care
Jan 25, 2007, 10:29 AM
Registered User
ESC = Electronic Speed Control

Used to control the speed of the motor.
Jan 29, 2007, 05:02 PM
Wind blows
Laggard's Avatar
ARC = Almost Ready to Crash

So what are the pros and cons of brush and brushless motors?

Quick Reply

Thread Tools