Jun 10, 2019, 10:42 AM
Another Katana Mini resurrected!

Just found the mods and upgrades thread. Hope this little beastie is worth the $40 I spent on it
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2019, 11:17 AM
eat, sleep, FLY FLY FLY
you stole it ! Do the mods, such a sweet flyer, good luck
Jun 10, 2019, 12:04 PM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Yes - its a beaut flyer ... but oh so fragile when landing !

Mine has cracked rear longeron from just being picked up. The U/C mount area is abysmally inadequate.

Built basically too light.
Jun 10, 2019, 12:08 PM
I will give it a good look over tonight. It looked as though the previous owner at some point did add some structure.

I'll have to weigh it against my 3DHS Edge 540 that is the same size. It feels way lighter.
Jun 10, 2019, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_N
I will give it a good look over tonight. It looked as though the previous owner at some point did add some structure.

I'll have to weigh it against my 3DHS Edge 540 that is the same size. It feels way lighter.
I bet its a lot lighter !!!

Let me compare ...

HK EPP / Ply composite MXS similar span / size model with a smaller motor etc. is 680gr .

Mini Katana with a far bigger motor and stabiliser fitted is 685gr.

Think about that ... a wood and covering film model with bigger motor and gear in weighs near same as a 3D EPP model with lighter gear in.

Ages ago - we did a comparison of PA models with EF and we found that EF models came in slightly heavier with better mounts and 'survivability' but still able to perform full out 3D as the PA lighter models.

I stopped flying my Mini Katana, despite really enjoying its flight ... why ? I would get one flight per session on average ... going home to rebuild that U/C mount area. After a few times .. you just decide enough is enough.

Have to admit - my interest is rekindled to fly her again ... so will have PU glue ready at home after !!
Jun 10, 2019, 06:41 PM
I guess I lucked out. Mine already had all the additional gussetting around the U/C area. I may add another section of light ply but fingers crossed. There's no markings I can find to tell if it's a Gen 1 or Gen 2

With an 11/3.7SF currently pulling 365W at full power. Not bad for a whopping AUW of 1.65 pounds / 800g with a 3S 1500. Even with a bigger battery still should be around 190 to 200w/pound. I'm running a higher Kv motor though (1400) so wondering if I should go to a 10 x (?) SF prop instead.
Jun 10, 2019, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.frankenjet
you stole it ! Do the mods, such a sweet flyer, good luck
Where are these mods you speak of?
Jun 10, 2019, 07:34 PM
eat, sleep, FLY FLY FLY
I have posted allot in this thread, also you can search the mods by fish death, got most from there. A little reinforcement of the motor mount, move servos to turtle deck, 1 piece joiner for the gear and a little bracing on the floor corners round the gear and she is good to go. 100's of flights on mine, great little plane.
Jun 11, 2019, 03:24 AM
Quote:
I guess I lucked out. Mine already had all the additional gussetting around the U/C area. I may add another section of light ply but fingers crossed. There's no markings I can find to tell if it's a Gen 1 or Gen 2

With an 11/3.7SF currently pulling 365W at full power. Not bad for a whopping AUW of 1.65 pounds / 800g with a 3S 1500. Even with a bigger battery still should be around 190 to 200w/pound. I'm running a higher Kv motor though (1400) so wondering if I should go to a 10 x (?) SF prop instead.
Thats good news...

Better than adding more ply - is to use PU Glue (Gorilla Glue) ... you can dribble it in and it will fill / add to the area while it foams and sets. Virtually no weight for added security. The trick is to not create a 'break point' that causes significant damage to surrounding structure. If the U/C breaks out - which it will - is best if it takes the plate and as little of surround as possible.

SF props ... UGH !!!! Awful things. I suggest try a stiff E prop for far better punch out and instant action instead of the flexing and crap SF props do.

Sf props when pushed as in a sudden throttle - you can hear the WOMP sound as the blades twist / flex ... replace with an E prop and much crisper throttle response ..

My own personal view.
Jun 11, 2019, 09:19 AM
Thanks Solen - I'll try the Gorilla Glue trick - I've got plenty of PU around since it's all I build foam with anymore.

I have to check my prop stash - I think I have some regular stiff E-props. Don't think I have any wood in the right size though, but the hobby shop is a 2 minute walk away
Jun 11, 2019, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Thanks Solen - I'll try the Gorilla Glue trick - I've got plenty of PU around since it's all I build foam with anymore.

I have to check my prop stash - I think I have some regular stiff E-props. Don't think I have any wood in the right size though, but the hobby shop is a 2 minute walk away
To be honest - I've gone through APC ... MAS ... Jtech ... all sorts of props and I keep going back to the budget Hobby King Bone colour props.

I'm running a Hyperion 3009 motor with APC style Hobby King Bone coloured 11*5.5E composite prop.

Here's my build / setup thread on WF :

https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/sho...ht=Mini+Katana

It really was a horror story to put together.

You cannot fault its flight performance ... but being so light - it should fly well. But OH .. those landings !!
Jun 12, 2019, 11:12 AM
Well, couldn't find the GG when I got home last night, but did end up adding some additional balsa reinforcements attached with epoxy. only added a few grams so doubt my dumb-thumbs will ever notice.

I also went ahead and programmed up a Lemon Gyro. Bench testing, gains are at about 11 o'clock for ailerons, High Noon for rudder, and just under 11 for elevator. If anyone else is using one of these and can give a quick spot check it would be helful, but I just gotta fly it.
Jun 12, 2019, 12:56 PM
I have the A3 SuperII in mine set for OFF - 20% Normal to just assist with wind - Full Auto Hover.

I do fly with er9x / 9XR radio which full stick = 125% on a Spektrum. So if anyone is flying Spekie - my 20% will work out less action for them.
Jun 12, 2019, 02:04 PM
Hmm...I've got a spare AS3Super3 in the work box......
Jun 12, 2019, 02:07 PM
No idea about Super 3 ...... I read a lot of complaints about it.

Quick Reply