Nov 12, 2005, 09:09 PM
Thoughts Become Things
Thread OP

Anyone convert an Oly II or similar 100" to electric?Could you post your power setup?

Hello,
I am trying to find some examples of power systems that have been installed in large gliders with a wingspan around 100", mine is a 100" Oly II. If anyone has examples of this configuration could you please post it here?

Thanks, Jim
to remove ads between posts
Nov 12, 2005, 09:37 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
I have,.... https://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72 I don't have alot of pictures on the page but all the info I think you'll need is there on the Olly 2 page. Lately I've noticed it's not as hot a climber as it used to be. I haven't investigated the matter but it still is an excellent performer. Also see my Paragon page. Fred
Nov 12, 2005, 09:47 PM
What will your Oly II weigh? That is the real important factor in picking a motor, along with your climbing performance expectation.

I fly an Aspire 2M which weighs 38 oz. AUW with a Hacker B20 L18, 4:1 GB, and a 3S Lipo. The performance is quite good... MotrCalc says 700 ft./min. I don't think I would be happy with much less climbing capability. Others could tolerate less.

I am converting a BOT 118" ARF to EP and will use an AF 05 with 4.4:1 GB on a 3S2P Lipo. Climbing performance, on what I estimate will be a 62 oz. AUW glider, should be similar to the Aspire 2M.

SG
Nov 12, 2005, 09:59 PM
Ascended Master
I did that mod many years ago..(Looking for photos.. 15 years ago!!!!!)... it would be obsolete today.
Instead of an Astro O5 and nicads I'd use a brushless and Lipos.
The weight savings would have a very positive effect on the climb, which was modest with the O5.
Nov 12, 2005, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Step
I have,.... https://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72 I don't have alot of pictures on the page but all the info I think you'll need is there on the Olly 2 page. Lately I've noticed it's not as hot a climber as it used to be. I haven't investigated the matter but it still is an excellent performer. Also see my Paragon page. Fred
Hey Fred,

Really nice looking Paragon. I have a Paragon I started building in 1990. I moved the bones with me when I retired in 1991 and I dug them out just a few months ago. I built it as a 100" as the "Standard TD class back then" was limited to 100". If you flew the 118" you were in with the Windsongs, etc. in Open Class TD.

I have already purchased the AXI 2820-10 I plan to use, so I was happy to see you were pleased with yours.

I had estimated my AUW would be around 50 oz. Boy that stock fuse with all that plywood is heavy... I may have to build me a lighter fuse.

Thanks for sharing your Web site, I'm going back in a few minutes to explore some more.

SG
Nov 12, 2005, 10:08 PM
Thoughts Become Things
Thread OP
Fred,
Thank You very much for the link to your site. You have some nice birds there, I especially like your Fournier RF4, that is a hard plane to find and you did a wonderful job on it, inspirational!

I like the Oly II setup, I was thinking of going with the AXI, I've heard great things about AXI motors. I am also planning on using 8 cell Nimh batteries so your setup fits my situation even better.

I do have a question for you. I am new to this so you will have to forgive my lack of knowledge, but I noticed that you used the same setup for the Paragon that you used with the Oly II, why does the Paragon draw less amps then the Oly II when you are using the same setup? Is it because the Paragon has a higher lift or larger span? Just curious.

Thanks, Jimmy
Nov 12, 2005, 10:18 PM
Thoughts Become Things
Thread OP
Sparky,
I have admired your web site for a long time. You have created some awsome planes! Did you fit a mono wheel to your Olly II? I sort of borrowed the idea from you (I hope you don't mind ) after I saw a picture from your web site. Do you have any pictures of your mono wheel mount?

Also, didn't you use your Olly II wing on a different fuselage? I am planning on doing that at some point.

Thanks for the picture, like I said, I am an admirer of your work.

Jimmy
Nov 13, 2005, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul
I did that mod many years ago..(Looking for photos.. 15 years ago!!!!!)... it would be obsolete today.
Instead of an Astro O5 and nicads I'd use a brushless and Lipos.
The weight savings would have a very positive effect on the climb, which was modest with the O5.
Sparky,
Always noticed how colorful your planes are... almost as colorful as those shorts.
Nov 13, 2005, 11:10 AM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
Jimmy, it probably has to do with the actual moment I measured the current draw. Hot off the charger, the motor/batt. package probably was drawing over 40 amps (it's a big prop for that motor), that drops down and eventually stabilizes to a certain degree. The difference between current measurements (only 6 amps) has to do with when I actually noted the current draw. The Olly measurement was probably taken sooner than the Paragon measurement. I probably didn't wait for it to stabilze as much as I did with the Paragon. Bottom line, I probably noted current draw before 15 seconds. That "15 second" point in time has always bothered me because many times it still hasn't stopped dropping. I need to replace it with "stabilzed", and then actually measure it when stabilzed. I'll go back and remeasure one of these days.
Last edited by No Step; Nov 13, 2005 at 11:19 AM.
Nov 13, 2005, 11:36 AM
LSF186
this may help......

axi 2820/10
castle 45 map speed control
1700mah nimh 8 cell pack
12/6 graupner folding prop

bob
Nov 13, 2005, 12:56 PM
Ascended Master
Jimmy, the Oly is long gone.. but the wheel on my first Paragon looks like this;
1/8" music wire, soft wheel... which wears out rapidly!
Nov 13, 2005, 03:24 PM
Thoughts Become Things
Thread OP
Thanks Sparky for the picture.

Bob,
That's the setup, I'm looking at prices on those exact items right now. It's great when things get narrowed down after a bit of research, and lots of help! Thanks to you guys

Jimmy
Nov 13, 2005, 06:12 PM
i am flying a skybench big bird...100"...weighs 61oz. i use a hacker b40 with a 4.4:1 gb,a 14x9.5 prop,a GP2200,8cell pack.
with this setup you won't be disappointed...ken
Nov 13, 2005, 08:18 PM
Ascended Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbutterfly
this may help......

axi 2820/10
castle 45 map speed control
1700mah nimh 8 cell pack
12/6 graupner folding prop

bob
I'm using that setup.. 2820/10. but with a 9x5 Cam prop, 3C2000 Lipo, 40 Amp ESC on a 2M. It goes nearly vertical very nicely.
I think I'd chose a 2826/12 or /14 for a plane the size of an Oly II.

Quick Reply