Nov 12, 2005, 07:08 PM
Thread OP

DF, HB FP Elite, Walkera 4, other Micros, belt drive tail mods

I have been flying my 3D Pro belt drive tail frame conversion for a while now and some have asked about FP conversions. Here it is. I love flying my Dragon Fly but the stupid DD motors don't last very long and BL separates is a hassle, so I built a complete frame with Belt drive tail. This is lighter(11.2 g) than the DD motor system (23.6 Gm way out on the end of the boom) so it came out at the same overall weight as the flimsy original. I addressed some critical design issues with most micro heli's and now there is room for a battery under the frame( retained by a velcro patch and strap through the provided holes in the frame) that can actually be used to get the right CG, a place under the frame to mount the ESC and a really nice place up front to mount the receiver as far away from the ESC as possible and in the rear top behind the servo tower, plenty of room to mount a Gyro.

It was way easy to do since everything below the servo tower is replaced. LG is a custom made bolt on FG one that is very stiff and a lot stronger than the flimsy 2mm rods used on the stock frames.

I used a stock 3D Pro tail boom shortend a few MM so the TR would end up in the same place as the original. I got the pulleys and belts at Stock Drive. The frames are made of a CF/Fiberglass laminate ( 1mm thick) and I turned out the rest of the parts on my shop equipment. I had a dilemna on the TR grearbox, so I ended up making my own 1 piece unit that is lighter than a Shogun V-1 box. I used a stock 3D Pro Tailrotor shaft and a T-rex Tail rotor system.

Now, no more "What the heck is wrong now" with the TR and it flies great FFF. No more "hokey" TR motors to replace and the flying day is great when I go fly now.

So now, let me know what you all think.

PJ
Last edited by CRB68; Nov 12, 2005 at 07:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 13, 2005, 04:25 AM
thats cool!

one question that springs to mind though is are you using the stock FP tail rotors? if so, how do you control the rudder to turn the heli left or right? As looking the belt drive will drive the tail in relation to the main rotors etc, but how will you adjust the tail speed to allow the heli to turn?

Mark.
Nov 13, 2005, 11:52 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark J
thats cool!

one question that springs to mind though is are you using the stock FP tail rotors? if so, how do you control the rudder to turn the heli left or right? As looking the belt drive will drive the tail in relation to the main rotors etc, but how will you adjust the tail speed to allow the heli to turn?

Mark.
Hi Mark.

No you cannot use the stock tailrotor propellor since the pitch needs to be variable. I am using the TR assembly from the Trex($11.00) and the Tail Rotor slider from the Rex or the3D Pro, the Trex Tail Blades, and a tailrotor servo.

PJ
Nov 13, 2005, 01:30 PM
cool, will be watching to see how it goes

all the best with it!

Mark.
Nov 13, 2005, 03:53 PM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Very nice....I was hoping something like this would come along so I could upgrade the TR on my blade. The motors on the back work for me ok but just do not have the cool factor that a BD variable pitch TR has.
Nov 13, 2005, 03:57 PM
The wing is the thing
How much $ ??
Nov 13, 2005, 04:17 PM
Looks nice!

Yeah, how much ?
I dunno, the ali frame looks kinda heavy, how much does it weigh?

I think the LG should be wider/thicker, it would look much better, and probably be tougher.

Duane
Nov 14, 2005, 01:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimole
Looks nice!

I dunno, the ali frame looks kinda heavy, how much does it weigh?

I think the LG should be wider/thicker, it would look much better, and probably be tougher.

Duane
The weight ready to fly minus the battery is 205 Grams. The LG are F Glass and are very strong. Moreso that the 2mm sticks used on the originals. The photo doesn't show that they are thicker at the mount and taper to the ends. The Tailrotor GB weighs 3.1 Grams compared to the 23.7 grams of the DD Motor and prop so the overall weight is very close to the original and Exponentially tougher than the stock frame.

Price and availability are dependent on my time to make them. I am a retired machinist and this is a hobby for me NOT a business. PM if interested or more info.

PJ

Quick Reply