Nov 15, 2005, 12:24 PM
Light and floaty does it
Could some kind soul direct me to Ivan's web site, please? I've tried a Google but can't find it.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2005, 12:42 PM
www.geocities.com/ivansplans/
Nov 15, 2005, 01:03 PM
Light and floaty does it
Thank you!
Apr 23, 2007, 01:18 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Wow..

Well, here we are a little less than 2 years after the post and I have finally begun the "ground breaking.."

I've been watching Luke's Solent and had to get this thing started.. I had 2 sets of plans, but have misplaced 1 set I was going to use to "build on.." I guess I'll need to get a set run off..

I've starting stripping the 3/16" wood needed for the fuse sides..

It's an offical start.. I am hoping to have this thing flying by a year from today.. I dunno if it'll happen, but I'm going to give it a shot..
Apr 23, 2007, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
Wow..

Well, here we are a little less than 2 years after the post and I have finally begun the "ground breaking.."

I've been watching Luke's Solent and had to get this thing started.. I had 2 sets of plans, but have misplaced 1 set I was going to use to "build on.." I guess I'll need to get a set run off..

I've starting stripping the 3/16" wood needed for the fuse sides..

It's an offical start.. I am hoping to have this thing flying by a year from today.. I dunno if it'll happen, but I'm going to give it a shot..
Tram:
I built a "Sealand" for hire awhile ago from Ivan's plans. from what I see it's almost the same airplane from a building point of view. Have fun I'll be watching.
OH and you'll need more sticks than that.

When I built the Sealand; I had the plans copied so that I could cut them up for templates, without destroying the originals. In the photocopying process the size of the parts ended up changing enough that it was a real struggle to get through building. I later found out from a friend of mine, who builds giant scale stuff, that he won't use the place that copied the plans for me. As he has used them before; and the plans were out by more than 3/8" when copying a 90" wing plan.
Rick
Apr 24, 2007, 11:57 PM
Yeh, that was just the first sheet of sticks I cut..
Apr 25, 2007, 02:20 AM
Aha! Guess all this seaplane talk finally got to you. Lots of work you've got ahead of you, but in the end it will be worth it! If I were to do another of Ivan's planes, the Albatross would certainly be next.

As you saw on my build, I traced all the parts onto cardstock using transfer paper, then I cut out the templates. This way I saved my plans and had sturdy templates to use (which I saved every one, you can be sure). But this is more work than simply copying the plans.

Well I'm signed up for the ride! Just settling back to watch this one unfold...

Luke
Apr 25, 2007, 01:11 PM
Yeh, I've got some really nice cardstock that I had from my comic book collecting days that I could use..

Maybe I'll just get some transfer paper and do that..

Don't expect this to be a quick build, I just got a new job and am going to be in training for 2 months and then will be on reserve for another 5..
Mar 03, 2008, 07:17 PM
96RC/3178W
Hey Tram,

Has this died? I'm looking at it for my latest Ivan Build. Its a fight between the Alby and the Mars.

~Matt
Mar 03, 2008, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjem13
Hey Tram,

Has this died? I'm looking at it for my latest Ivan Build. Its a fight between the Alby and the Mars.

~Matt
After being out with my buddy Tim and taking the stick on the Mars go with getting a Mars.

Colin
Mar 04, 2008, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjem13
Hey Tram,

~Matt
Died.. no.. It's never been significantly born..

It will still happen..
Oct 27, 2008, 04:07 PM

RE: Ivan Pettigrews Albatross

I purchased Ivan's plans last fall and started building right away. I wasn't too worried about Ivan's target weight of 93 ounces. The original idea was to strengthen the fuselage using a bit more basswood and leave the sides open for covering. After a lot of thought I decided to sheet in the sides and cover with light fiberglass and epoxy resin. Three layers of the same to the bottom of the hull. The wings are pretty much as Ivan designed them except I modified the ailerons, rudder and elevators to use Robarts Hinges (to look more scale). Engine cowlings are made of fiberglass over foam (spun on my drill press). The foam was burned out with acetone. The fuselage was painted with Tremclad and the rest was covered with Ultracote. I mounted two Himax 3516-1130's with two 45 Amp Castle Creations ESC's and two 2200Mah (in parallel) lipoly batteries. Propellors are two 10.4" X 6" Variopros (counter-rotating) I also used a 1100Mah receiver battery. All up flying weight is 110 ounces. This is a beautiful flyer. Half throttle for take off. Stable in cruise and a dream lo land. Could have been powered by Himax 3510's
Oct 27, 2008, 04:12 PM
Wow.. You picked a rockin' post to make it your first!

Welcome to RCGroups!

That is a beautiful looking Alby!
Last edited by Tram; Oct 28, 2016 at 10:19 PM.
Oct 27, 2008, 04:23 PM
96RC/3178W
That has got to be one of the most beautiful Ivan planes I have ever seen.

Fantastic.

Matt
Oct 27, 2008, 04:54 PM

Ivan's Albatross

Thanks for the kind response. Thought I'd add some more info. The wing ribs were made from 3/32" balsa rather 1/16. I didn't want this to be a "floater" in the air. Total thrust is about 120 ounces so it is way overpowered but the motors only weigh about 5.5 oz. with props. I use an Airtronics Stylus transmitter so I have two throttle channels. Throttles are coupled into the rudder channel so steering on the water is easy. The water rudder in the plans will not touch the water when the plane is taxing so I didn't build it at all. Flight times are as yet undetermined but a 7 minute flight of touch and goes used a replacement of .93 Mah into a 4400 Mah lipoly pack. More photos attached. Happy flying!
PS. Does anybody have any ideas where to get some good B-17 plans for electric flight. I'm looking for something around 84 inch to 100 inch wingspan.

Quick Reply