Nov 22, 2009, 09:11 AM
ken kalynuk, winnipeg CAN
Hi, what are you using for cutting wire and the places to buy and you power supply for the cutter.

A10 looks great. thanks - ken
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2009, 09:02 AM
Thread OP
I am using stainless steel fishing leader from the local tackle shop. I bought a variety of thicknesses to test. For power, I was lucky and found a variable 4.5 amp power supply that goes from 0 to 35 volts DC. It is about 25 years old and I got it from the Science department at the school that I work in. It allows me to turn up the voltage until I get it perfect for cutting. Not too hot, not too cold. I will take some more pictures and post.
Nov 24, 2009, 06:09 AM
I have a cheapo 2A/6A 12V car battery charger I use. Leave it on 2A setting and it pulls 4-6A on 38" of 24ga wire I got from Lowe's. I then happened upon a discarded blow dryer and took the NiCr heating element out of it, it was coiled like a long spring, I just pulled it as straight as I could then ran a piece of hardwood up and down the length while pulling it tight to get most of the kinks out. Instead of worrying about a regulator just use a longer pice of cutting wire and move the charger lead to adjust temp, the shorter the wire the hotter it gets, I'm using less (shorter) wire with the NiCr than the standard picture hanger wire, the biggest issue is keeping the wire tight when it heats up, you need to spring load your cutting bow or the wire, both work fine.
Nov 24, 2009, 07:54 AM
A real WingNut
There is a lot of good info "schematic" on setting up a hotwire cutter on utahflyers.org also they have some hotwire cutting instructional videos on how they cut their wing cores.
Jan 10, 2010, 08:36 AM

WS for Mark's A-10 plans

Hi, may I know what is the ws of this nice A-10?
I'm gonna build 1 for myself.

Thanks,
Mod.
Jan 15, 2010, 04:55 AM
Very nice made!
Mar 08, 2010, 11:55 AM
Hi,

I made A-10 few months ago b( allmost forget to thank for plans ).

I took liberty to make some mods to plans. I made it little bigger ( about 41 inch) and added depron stripes inside ( Jetset44 style) to make fuse more rounded.
I also made pseudo clark-y profile to wing. Works great!
So thanks for plans...
Mar 08, 2010, 12:39 PM
Thread OP

Nice A-10

Wow. That looks great !! How does it fly ?
Mar 08, 2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks...

Its flying perfectly! I have to really TAKE IT DOWN when landing...
Good in slow speed and can handle well highspeed too...

Setup:
Dualsky 2826-15
APC 8x6E
25A Esc
1300 mAh 25c
Mar 08, 2010, 02:27 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.

A tractor pusher ?, well the props are almost behind the wing.

I went a bit made on size with mine at 59.5" span. She was finished and flew last August.

She also took quite a bit of trimming, I think those nacelles have an affect on things.

No U/C as such but the wheels are there in the retract position, and do seem to work Ok as she has no problem taking off. Though wing-in-ground-affect helps a lot.

She's a bit underpowered, but as a first try, and I just happened to have those motors spare, it was a case of try and see.

Here's the thread - Oh not another A-10 Foamies (Scratchbuilt) forum.
Sep 06, 2010, 05:32 AM

got the bug

I was a crew chief on this airframe for 18 years and love the A-10. So when I seen these plans I decide to have a go. Almost done with A-10 has two 55 MM EDFs for power will try and get some pictures up. Can't wait to fly it. Thanks some much for the plans!
Sep 06, 2010, 09:48 AM
Thread OP
Great. Ballance on the cg and it should fly great.
Sep 08, 2010, 03:30 PM
scrapy scrapy doo.
Hi guy's

At first thnx for the plans!!

I was looking at this plans for a long time and after seeing this plane fly sunday I made the step.
Started to print and set togetter the tilled sheets.
This plane is my all time favorite so I have to build and fly it.

Does anybody have some tip's for building or setup?

Grtz Ron
Sep 08, 2010, 05:25 PM
USA, Massachusetts

A10

Love this plane, thanks to Mark DiMonte for sharing his plans.
Sep 10, 2010, 03:53 PM
Hey Roonroon I just got done building my A-10 with to ducted fans I added a KF airfoil to the leading edge of the wing and it made it much stiffer. Also added some 3mm depron on the verts and it gave them much more present and strength

Quick Reply