Nov 08, 2005, 10:06 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Depron A-10 Pusher Build

Well, the depron bug has bitten me again so I decided to draw up plans for an A-10 pusher. Power will be a himax 2025 5300 with a 4.4 gear spinning a 9X7 slowfly prop. This power set up should provide good performance. I drew the plans up in Modelcad and started cutting. I will make the lpans available when I am done but I dont want to put them out there until I fly for the first time. I have already made changes to the design during construction so be patient. Here are some pics so far. The build is going smoothly and so far and things are lining up. The engine mount should be very solid and the gearbox and motor tuck under the fuse perfectly so as not to break up the lines of the UGLY/BEAUTIFUL A-10. I used corbon tube to create a solid dihedral for the wing tips(see pics) and a staw and another piece of carbon tube to solve the split rudder situation that arose from the motor mount.(again see pics) I will post more pics as construction continues.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2005, 11:02 AM
Looking good, keep the photos coming
Nov 08, 2005, 05:38 PM
registered foam addict
the A-10 should be the ideal foamy park flyer conversion! i'm wondering why we don't see more of them here.

keep posting! looks very interesting!

chara
Nov 08, 2005, 06:32 PM
JAM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
OK I'm in on this the A-10 is my all time Favorit plane............. Tried the GWS one but wasn't happy with the power setup I think this is long over due. And yes I want the PLANS ASAP.

PS: if the Kids in the classroom are holding you up send em' to summer school. JK

TM
Nov 08, 2005, 08:41 PM
Live to fly, fly to live!
Glad to see a 'Hog getting built! My favorite as well....former infantryman here so I definitely appreciate the A-10's enemy killing prowess.

Are you planning to go with a flat airfoil or scale?

Paul
Nov 08, 2005, 09:15 PM
JAM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
I say flat to save time and building ease heck all of the other parkjets are flat.

TM
Nov 08, 2005, 09:50 PM
There was already a flat pusher A-10 posted here about 8 months ago. I'm hoping to see a scale wing this time, flat doesn't look right on the A-10. It looks right on all the foam fighter aircraft because in reality all of them have razor thin airfoils as well. The real A-10 flies on the wing instead of the engines. Reference DAF's A-10....it has a built up wing and looks like an A-10 should.

Paul
Nov 08, 2005, 10:06 PM
JAM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Yeah that's true but I like simplicitly sometimes over scale. Say you got a link to DAF's I'd like to see that.

TM
Nov 08, 2005, 10:26 PM
Here's a link. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389072

I was actually incorrect, DAF did a flat plate wing, but with double thickness and an airfoil sanded in. That looks like a happy medium between a built up wing and single layer flat plate. I agree on the simplicity over scale thing, but in some areas I get pretty picky about the appearance

Paul
Nov 08, 2005, 10:36 PM
JAM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
D thanks for the link, I do like the double thickness and sanded that's not to time consuming. Sometimes I like to build slow other times I just get to excited and want it done now, I'm sure I'm not the only one. It's the big kid in me still itching to get out..............all of the time.

TM
Nov 09, 2005, 12:33 PM
Thread OP

Depron a-10 build

Some of you guys are pretty sharp. Yes I am in a classroom and when the kids bug me, I make them draw planes for me. A-10 work is moving slowly. Unfortunately my work keeps getting in the way of my work. Wing is done as well as hinging the elevator. I used robart tiny hinge points and the elevator moves freely. Ailerons will get the same treatment.
Nov 09, 2005, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow Man
D thanks for the link, I do like the double thickness and sanded that's not to time consuming. Sometimes I like to build slow other times I just get to excited and want it done now, I'm sure I'm not the only one. It's the big kid in me still itching to get out..............all of the time.

TM
Welcome Tow...I know what you mean! The F-14 I started in June is finally getting finished this week but dang it I want to be DONE already and flying! But no... I've gotta be picky about the bluecor and spackle and sand until it's as smoth as I can get it so thats taking ALOT of time. Usually I'd just get it looking good from 10 feet away scale but i've seen so many really good looking Tomcats in the past 4 months that I insist on doing my absolute best.

Paul
Nov 09, 2005, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark DiMonte
Some of you guys are pretty sharp. Yes I am in a classroom and when the kids bug me, I make them draw planes for me. A-10 work is moving slowly. Unfortunately my work keeps getting in the way of my work. Wing is done as well as hinging the elevator. I used robart tiny hinge points and the elevator moves freely. Ailerons will get the same treatment.
Looking good!!! The wingtips look right on the money!

Paul
Nov 11, 2005, 01:40 AM
when you get the plane done and confirm the goods then the plans are a must. It looks sharp so far...maybe even a EDF someday.
Nov 11, 2005, 07:27 AM
Or am I...
Quote:
my work keeps getting in the way of my work
then when do you work on your work if your work gets in the way of your work. Ya gotta work on that. Cool a10 too.

Quick Reply