May 23, 2002, 08:59 PM
Gone Soaring

Long servo wire gauge???

I'm nearing completion of a large glider of mine have a few questions about the servo wires. I have mini servos all the way out in the wing to run the ailerons, inboard flaps have thier own servo. I have some standard guage servo wire that I can use to solder so that I don't excess connectors. My main question is, is the standard gauge heavy enough or do I need heavier gauge? If I do what is your suggestions. Also is interference from the long leads going to be a problem, the glider isn't electric poser so I won't have to worry about motor noise. If it might be a problem, would ferrit beads solve it. And if so where can I get small quanaties of them? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help.

Lee Skidmore

P.S. The servos are about 4 foot out on the wing so the leads will be in the range of 4.5 - 5 foot.
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2002, 09:42 AM
DEFANTELY use twisted or braided wire, not the flat ribbon type

Beads can be bought from New Creations

Alan W
May 24, 2002, 09:52 AM
Gone Soaring
The wire is twisted and I will order some beads. The other question is whether or not I need a heavier gauge? The wire I have is just the standard so I wasn't sure if the resistance over that long of a extension would be a problem. Thanks for the help.

Lee
May 24, 2002, 12:44 PM
Lee,
Regular guage should be fine. We use it all the time in unlimited sailplanes. 4-5 foot length isn't uncommon. There's usually no need for beads or anything else. Twisted wire is recommended and you'll probably have no problem.

Good luck,
Lenny
May 24, 2002, 12:55 PM
Gone Soaring
Thanks Lenny. I have a couple of big gliders, 100 - 120" but they are just RES. This is the first time I have had servos out in the wing for ailerons on a big glider. If you don't think I need the beads then I'll hold off and see if I need to get them after some ground checks and what not. It is comforting to know that the big guys use just the regular.

Lee