Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 07, 2005, 06:30 PM
Pull out early!
Build Log

My AP2 build, FFF twin boom pusher

Well, I have about 50 hours on this one, and it flies great. I really like the tilt from forward to straight down, makes bringing it home so much easier. I haven't made her pretty yet, and that's probably why she flies so well.

Pentax Option 5si, 1 gig high speed card for 300x 3megabyte images.
BW 200mw a/v transmitter, running off radio shack 5v regulator.
Full tilt mechanism from slightly above horizon forward to straight down.

R/E/Throttle, rudder stick for shutter and cam power.
Mutilplex 480-4g 4.4:1 with an APC 13x6.5E. Climbs at 70 deg.
3s2p TP2100, cc35 ESC, Hitec 7ch rcvr, HS85mg for tail.
70"WS, 11"chord, 6deg dihedral, tiny washout at TE tips, full CF spar.
AUW is about 45oz with 8oz cam/trans tilt package.
8.5 oz/sqft wing loading, 35 minute flights. Have thermalled occasionally.

Tail strut is rubber band suspension to absord heavy landings, with optional dual wheel plugin.

I'll try to get the amps and rpm and edit them in.
It shrunk the first two pics, will try and re send them later slightly cropped.

Questions, comments, rude remarks?

Dave
Last edited by DiveBombDave; Mar 08, 2006 at 08:59 PM. Reason: added category
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2005, 06:52 PM
Very nice plane. I like forward facing platforms... Now make her pretty....
Nov 07, 2005, 07:15 PM
Peakaboo!

Very nice !

My own plane looks a bit like yours, with it's forward looking camera mount and its pusher configuration. But your setup has one more useful option: the camera mount can be tilted during flight.
Nov 07, 2005, 07:29 PM
Pull out early!
Thanks!

Yeah, the first time I reached up to ch7 knob and saw it crank around...

It was like seeing the live video the first time. Oooooo AAaahhhhh...

You can fly towards your target and track it as you pass over for a wide range of downward angles all the way to straight down. I had tilt on side looking setup, and it was nice for getting the frame right when you're making your pass to the side of target. Oh yeah, the way my fuse is setup now, it's just rubber bands to snap on a new fuse (all flight equip is on wing). So I tried several pod style fuses before settling on this one. ergo I can make a side looking tilt pod, a no-camera just for flying setup, grass setup w/no LG, maybe even FLOATS on an AP plane? That would be a sin. Yeah.

I can see it now, showing the video on my TV going, "You can see bubbles for about 2 seconds."

Dave

I'm going to make a backup to the ship around a bl400 geared setup I have laying here.
Nov 07, 2005, 07:37 PM
Oops get the hot glue gun
I love blucor planes. You have a nice and very functional design.

She looks pretty enough to me too, I wouldn't change a thing. I think they fly better without any paint!

Good job Dave!

Gary D.
Nov 07, 2005, 07:44 PM
Pull out early!
Shot this one outta about 60 pics during a 20 min flight.

Eastern KY foothills to the mountains, looking SSE just before sunset. No idea on altitude (when's hexpert going make more altimeters?)

Reduced to 77k, is there any way to post a 3 meg file?
Nov 07, 2005, 07:58 PM
Pull out early!
thx gary! But I am gonna have to buy some new sharpies for the wing for sure, maybe the fuse deserves colored packing tape.

Did I mention it climbs to spec alt in maybe 60 secs? Most shooting is done after a 20-30 second motor run followed by maybe 4 mins of glide, dozens of iterations. I always hating waiting 2-3 mins for the axi 2808/24 on my old setup took to climb to shooting alt, but she was a great bird.
Nov 07, 2005, 08:23 PM
Color packing tape will make her look good and will toughen her up for not so perfect landings. Looks good Dave keep up the good work..
Last edited by Talontsi96; Nov 08, 2005 at 09:47 AM.
Nov 08, 2005, 12:26 AM
Suspended Account
Testors model paint works on foam also.
Nov 08, 2005, 01:11 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
nice 1 dave , where do u pitch yaw tent???
how does it rotate with that rear wheel???
and lastly, where does the hampster ride????
Nov 08, 2005, 01:58 AM
Pull out early!
Hehehe Paleface...

I live in Eastern Kentucky, US. People are really friendly here, no hassles flying anywhere.

The tailwheel config is pinned straight, just for landing. Even still, rudder when taxiing will bring her around slowly, but I kicked a piece of gravel into the prop doing this and sheered a 4mm gb shaft. So, no more taxiing unless the runway is perfectly clean. I land it deadstick every time. I had a CF arrow tailstrut with these wheels on another setup, except the strut could "sway" out a couple of inches each side, and it taxied fabulously with the wheels locked forward. I was really shocked.

And the hamster rides .... well, it's uncomfortable at first but you get used to it.

Really a nice flying bird. The whole square fuse is empty from the wing forward to the camera - I put a hatch into the area but never needed in there. Had to get the cam that far forward to afford the batteries at CoG.

Dave
Nov 08, 2005, 02:19 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
Years ago...I built something similar , 72" span , webra 61 pusher , trike u/c , had a Kodak instamatic 8mm on the front , and a bomb bay under the wing for bombing kids at xmas partys ect with lollies /candy , looked like a Polish designed light weight , called the
Don Quixote J1B , rudder, elevator, power, camera, and bomb release , no hampster
Nov 08, 2005, 09:38 AM
Suspended Account
Don't fly over any stills with that plane Dave.........Those hillbillies will think it's the revenuers spyin on em and shoot her down..........hehehehe
Nov 08, 2005, 12:58 PM
Dave... ya got any plans / dimensions build details for that plane???
Nov 08, 2005, 08:15 PM
Pull out early!
Randall - hehehe... yeah, the landscape pic above I had been shooting 10-20 acres extensively looking for a downed sailplane now that the leaves are falling.... One tiny cabin on that land, no one ever sees the people coming and going, lots of No Trespass signs - you get the picture.

Then I hear a shotgun blast, and a woman bitchin' to someone about shooting it. I landed promptly, still no sailplane. But nothing is in season, and that was mid-day -- very weird. But isolated.

Crashed - Yeah, I think I can dig up some build pics. I can remove the fuse and post some close ups, and give overall dimesions and stuff. I still want to redo the tailfeathers, but that can wait because she's fine as is. But "if I did it over again... " type of things I can come up with. Lemme entertain the ball and chain and I'll see what I can post later.

Dave