Nov 03, 2005, 07:55 PM
Thread OP

Air Hogs aero ace won't climb

Well I just purchased this and can't seem to get it to climb, I've adjusted the elevators up and down, still to no avail. It stalls alot and when going straight it just glides to a stop even with WOT. What am I doing wrong?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2005, 08:40 PM
Just add water!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingeragent
Well I just purchased this and can't seem to get it to climb, I've adjusted the elevators up and down, still to no avail. It stalls alot and when going straight it just glides to a stop even with WOT. What am I doing wrong?

Adjust elevators down about 1/8 an inch and trim the rudder if it's not flying straight. Give it full throttle and a light toss straight forward INTO the breeze.
Is the battery FULLY charged as well? Make sure the trim pot on the TX is centered. She should take right off and climb but not very fast.

Tom
Nov 03, 2005, 08:42 PM
Oldie but goodie
Not familar with that plane, but the problem sounds common.......not enough power and you're compensating with elevator trim causing the stalling.

Re-Trim it to glide neutral off power and make sure the battery is FULLY charged. Then try to fly the plane soon after the battery is done charging, or you'll have the same lack of power problem again.

Unless there is a defect in the Motor or Battery, this should take care of the problem.
Nov 03, 2005, 10:18 PM
If there's ANY wind, it won't want to climb at all, and stall into the wind. Going with the wind, you can get some pretty good speed, but it will sink fast, even at WOT. Try on a calm day, with fresh charged AA's or with alkalines...the higher voltage the better. You won't be disappointed with this plane, it's a blast to fly. Let us know how you make out.

Todd
Nov 03, 2005, 10:23 PM
Thread OP
Yea, still won't climb, but the winds are just a slight bit breezy. Do I need to add any weight to the front? I tried adding a penny and it seems to help it from going nose high but I dunno. Seems like I can make 1-2 circles around my front yard and then even at WOT it just glides slowly down. I read someone had removed the bottom wing to make it lighter. Would this maybe help?

Edit: Just tried again and I got like 3 circles this time. It seems like its just too heavy or not enough lift, because when I launch, it will go into a climb position but it just doesn't climb,,,, best way I can describe it is it looks like the plane is flairing for a landing.
Last edited by Stingeragent; Nov 03, 2005 at 11:15 PM.
Nov 04, 2005, 08:37 AM
GBX
GBX
Sounds like too much wind

Try flying at night with Zero wind and see if you have the same problem
Also you don't need full power to fly Reducing power will keep the plane from flaring.

With all that said .....I find the best way my two hogs fly
are by removing the bottom wings,Just heat the wing up a little and pull them off/supports too. You will find that it fly's incredible this way ,and it will stay up on the lowest power setting . These planes are a blast
Nov 04, 2005, 11:34 AM
Fly when there is NO WIND. The plane should fly level at the lowest power level, but require a little increase in power if you start circling. You need to really get the feel of flying this plane in zero wind before you try to fly in any amount of breeze. I've got two: one for my son and one for my wife. It should only take a few minutes to get the feel for the plane if you start in absolutely calm conditions. Once you have established familiarity with the plane, you can try all sorts of things, like flying in a slight breeze, flying at night under the street lights, etc.

If it still does not fly with no wind, return it and get an exchange: it might be defective.
Nov 04, 2005, 02:59 PM
Thread OP
Hmm, well this was strange. I took it out last night at like 1 am, and there was a 5-10mph breeze and it actually flew pretty good. Not sure why it made the difference. Still wasn't able to keep it up but like maybe 1-2 mins consec. I'm gonna go try again in a minute, and if its still having problems will take off the bottom set of wings.

Edit: Well I ended up taking the plane back and exchanging it. Just waiting for the wind to die down outside to see if I'm having the same problems.
Last edited by Stingeragent; Nov 04, 2005 at 08:54 PM.
Nov 04, 2005, 10:30 PM
Thread OP
Well it was the plane. I exchanged it and the new plane climbs with no problem. The motor seems a good bit louder and the overall plane feels lighter. Must of got a lemon.
Nov 04, 2005, 10:37 PM
Just add water!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingeragent
Well it was the plane. I exchanged it and the new plane climbs with no problem. The motor seems a good bit louder and the overall plane feels lighter. Must of got a lemon.

Now the fun and obsession starts! Congrats!

Tom

Quick Reply