Nov 03, 2005, 01:02 PM
Thread OP

Getting back into things after 15 years

Greetings.

After being out of the hobby for about 15 years, I'm finding coming back a little daunting...

I have an old Quasoar that I started, but never finished. The radio I own is an old Futaba FP-T4NBL, 4 channel AM. Looking at the model now as well as what else is out there, I think I should put ailerons onto the wing, not just flaps, elevator and rudder. Given the model, it would seem that in-wing servos for the ailerons would work best.

So, I am now at five servos, *IF* I use the Flap control method the Quasoar plans show. Am not sure how I would do this with a four channel radio...

So, I guess the real question is... How should I go about this? I am sort of assuming a new radio with more channels will be required.

Reading about the newer radios, I am pretty much lost as I cannot understand the terminology used.

Can someone help me to figure out if I need a new radio to do the Quasoar right? If so, what would be your recommendation?

Thanks in advance.
Mike K.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2005, 01:30 PM
Assuming this is a polyhedral plane, I would skip the ailerons. Also I would try and use what radio equipment you already have, it will probably go to waste if you don't find a home for it. Others may argue that it SHOULD go to waste, but you might as well get some use out of it, and your existing equipment probably was "right" as designed. So with 3 servos and some creative linkaging for the flaps you should be flying high.
Nov 03, 2005, 01:34 PM
RC Sailplane Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K
I have an old Quasoar that I started, but never finished. The radio I own is an old Futaba FP-T4NBL, 4 channel AM. .
Where are you located? There might be other glider guys in your area.

Also, does your radio have a gold sticker on the back? This would mean it is narrow band and currently legal to use.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Nov 03, 2005, 09:19 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
Where are you located? There might be other glider guys in your area.

Also, does your radio have a gold sticker on the back? This would mean it is narrow band and currently legal to use.

Ryan
Chicago city limits. Probably so.

Has four stickers. Gold one is trapezoidal

R/CMA RF CHECK
AMA Date: 10

That help?

Regards.
Mike K
Nov 03, 2005, 10:22 PM
RC Sailplane Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K
Chicago city limits. Probably so.

Has four stickers. Gold one is trapezoidal

R/CMA RF CHECK
AMA Date: 10

That help?

Regards.
Mike K
Hook up with these guys:

http://www.soarchicago.com/

They are big time into the high tech stuff, but you can still learn a lot from them even if you are flying an older design (I enjoy the older designs myself, one of my favorites is the Paragon).

Probably you are gold sticker then. I think it also has some verbage about being "1991" certified.

What channel is your transmitter on? That also should help determine if it is "1991" or not.

Ryan
Nov 03, 2005, 10:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
Probably you are gold sticker then. I think it also has some verbage about being "1991" certified.

What channel is your transmitter on? That also should help determine if it is "1991" or not.

Ryan
Tried sending their webmaster an e-mail, but it bounced back...

The channel shows 44 72.670MHz

This was purchased probably in 88 or '89...

Thanks again.
Mike K
Nov 03, 2005, 10:41 PM
AMA 112851
Replace those NICD's and you should send the radio and receiver in to get a check up especially, if it's been sitting in a hot and humid garage or damp basement.

I don't remember who to send the Futaba equipment to since I've been flying JR equipment for years. JR/Horizon has never charged me for checkups either, so maybe Futaba also won't.

TommyT
Nov 03, 2005, 10:48 PM
RC Sailplane Pilot
Check out Jim's fraper then. He is from Chicago.

http://www.frappr.com/rcsoaring

I think you can contact Jim Bacus via this.

Ryan
Nov 04, 2005, 01:57 AM
Mike, if you are just getting back into it, don't worry about adding anything to the Quasoar, just get it finished and go flying. All that new high-tech stuff is mainly for the contest guys. Tons of sport flyers (myself included) are still flying on original 70's and 80's planes like the Sailaire, Bird Of Time, Oly II, Risers, Paragons... the list goes on and on.

Your radio will be just fine for what you need... just replace the batteries and do a range check. If you want to be extra safe, you can send your radio in as Tommy suggests but if it were me, I'd just replace the batteries and do the range check.

You really should find a local club for some help, it was invaluable for me. Just one or two sessions with the guys and I was on my own and was saved from a lot of heartache.

If you need any advice or have any questions, no matter how small, feel free to PM me. I'm always looking to re-pay the advice I recieved!

Quick Reply