Nov 27, 2005, 09:47 PM
(AKA) Boomerwankanobi
Thread OP
Oh, sorry Scott I should have mention looking at the plane from the front.

Stocker
Last edited by Stocker; Nov 28, 2005 at 10:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2005, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottLister
I think if you throw right handed your control rod and horn should be on the right side and just the opposite if you are a left handed thrower

Looks great Mike, I saw jeb fly one at the crrc contest last summer and that plane launches great and thermals extremely well enjoy.

Scott
To clear things up a bit for us slow guys

The horns should be on the opposite side of the fuselage from the throwing peg...correct???

Plane looks great by the way!!!!

Sonny
Nov 27, 2005, 10:37 PM
(AKA) Boomerwankanobi
Thread OP
Sonny you are correct. And that is a great way to explain it also, short and sweet :-)

Stocker
Last edited by Stocker; Nov 28, 2005 at 10:19 AM.
Nov 28, 2005, 09:13 PM
(AKA) Boomerwankanobi
Thread OP

Mounting the stap to the mount

Grab the template for your stab and the other plywood plate
(just like the one you glued to the boom mount.
Place the stab on the templat and make the neccesary marking to find a strait center line for the plywood plate When you are sure the plate is on center mark the center of each hole.

At the mark for the larg hole, drill it out oversized to aproximately 4.8mm diameter.
Once drilled fill the hole with epoxy making sure one side is taped. clean off any excess epoxy. Set it aside to dry.
then once agian find the center and drill and tap it.
Now the instructions missed this step so on the small hole take that piece of carbon wing hold down rod and drill through the small hole you made in the stab with it. this is your pin for holding the stab strait.
Now Take the stab and place it on the mounting block and screw it down.
push the pin through the stab and make a mark leaving a small amount above the stab. I unscrewed the stab, pushed the pin in my block and CA'd it in place, I then cut the pin at my mark and the stab mount was now complete.
Kind of long winded I know but its really quite fast to do.
Nov 28, 2005, 09:23 PM
(AKA) Boomerwankanobi
Thread OP

Sanding the Boom shape into the stab mount.

For this step I took my stabmount and made a line on center from fron to back
on the bottom. I then filed a notch on the line to help keep it strait for shaping on the boom.

I then took my sand paper and held it around the boom at the very back.
Even though the elevator is 30mm from the rear end of the shaft I knew the paper would make the sanded area larger so I used the very end of the boom to sand the block.
With my paper around the boom I just put the block bottom on it and sanded back and forth until I had the boom shape I wanted.

Nuff said on this step its that simple, wrap boom with sand paper,move mounting block back and forth till done. No pic on this one I snoozed but its that simple. and the instructions spell it out for you real good.
Nov 28, 2005, 09:39 PM
(AKA) Boomerwankanobi
Thread OP

Joining the Stab Mount to The Boom

Ok, i mounted my wing per the instructions and flipped the plane over on its back. I then taped each panel to the table and supported the plane at the pod to a hight that the boom was level with the pod.

I then took my stap and put it upside down on two boxs and used some cd box's to shim the stap up to were the mount was touching the Boom.
Note!!!!!!! The trailing edge of the stap should be 30mm from the end of the boom. Thats the STAB not the block. once I marked the boom for my distance I mixed some 5 min epoxy, I then lifted the boom of the block and put a small amount of epoxy on it. and carefully lowered the boom down onto the block.

Here is the important part.
Once the boom is on the block get out your favorite measuring tape and from about 5" out from the center of the main wing. I measured from the trailing edge to the hing line on the stab until I got a reading that was the exact same for both sides. This assured that the stab was even with the main wing.
Even with 5 min epoxy I had plenty of time to do it and although you sanded the block to fit the boom it will allow enough movement from side to side on the stab to get it strait. Took about 15 minutes for this, including finding the goodies to block everything up.
Nov 28, 2005, 09:55 PM
(AKA) Boomerwankanobi
Thread OP

We all need a rudder dont we?

Ok, so it was rudder time a the Baker house.
Place the fin on the template and mark the location for the boom slot from the center line to a depth of 27 mm into the rudder.
I cut a slot for the boom slightly over 5mm wide and 27mm long into the tail.
And sanded the cut out until it fit snuggly on the end of the boom.

Since my plane was still upsied down on the table from mounting the stab.
I flipped the stab upside down and added some 5min epoxy to the cut out and crefully pushed it on to the boom. I wiped of any excess epoxy leaving a very small fillet and then squared it up with the table and let it sit.

Yeeeee Haaaaa Baby!!!! after it dries flip it over and I had a plane (Almost)
Nov 28, 2005, 10:03 PM
Flying IS the hobby
Oh man,

it doesn't get old for me, I am even getting excited about this build. is looking awesome Mike!
Nov 28, 2005, 10:05 PM
(AKA) Boomerwankanobi
Thread OP

Mr. Drela Are You Watching?

Mark, if you have seen this thread and know of anything that needs to be said, or if I have done something wrong, I would be honored by your participation.

JEB, dont be afriad to lay it on me here in the thread if you see that I have messed up some place either.

Mike
Nov 28, 2005, 10:06 PM
(AKA) Boomerwankanobi
Thread OP
Jeb Thanks, I am doing my best to build it right.

Mike
Nov 29, 2005, 05:32 AM
I am enjoying your build thread and really looking forward to getting my kit.
I wonder if any one has considered making the wing with flaps to be used for camber change ? Would it be worth the extra effort?
Nov 29, 2005, 07:20 AM
Make Flying Fun
Dude...
Where is the wing peg? (just kiddin)
Nov 29, 2005, 08:12 PM
(AKA) Boomerwankanobi
Thread OP
Wing peg? did someone say wing peg?
The kit does not come with one as you just throw it by the wing.
I am willing to bet though, that mine will have a micro launch blade,

Mike
Nov 30, 2005, 05:18 PM
(AKA) Boomerwankanobi
Thread OP
I hope my components are in the mail today and I will get started on the horns and electronics.

Mike

Quick Reply