Oct 31, 2005, 02:05 AM
Where's the lift?
Thread OP
Build Log

Schweizer TG-3 build

Thought I'd start a thread on my latest project, a fifth-scale Schweizer TG-3 from Tom Martin's partial kit (www.tmrcsailplanes.com), off the Jack Hiner plan.

Tom's laser-cutting is about as close to perfect as I've seen, and the wood is all top drawer stuff. I had to supply the spruce strips and the balsa sheeting, but the main bulk of the parts is included in the kit, as well as the hardware, wheel, aluminum wing joiner, etc.

I will be modifying Hiner's plans to include ailerons (yup, the original was R/E/S). Also, I will be adding a tow release to the nose. Beyond that, I don't see any need for changing anything. I am considering covering with 21st Century fabric, but at twenty bucks a roll I may go cheap and use the pile of Sig Koverall I have stashed away. Dunno yet.

So far, the kit is going swimmingly, and I have been thoroughly enjoying the build. Let's see if I can get her all done before Christmas. Yehaa.

Don
Last edited by dgliderguy; Oct 31, 2005 at 02:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2005, 02:15 AM
Where's the lift?
Thread OP
The problem with working without a set of step-by-step instructions is that sometimes little things get overlooked. In this case, I forgot to extend the bottom longerons aft of former F3, for the boattail. No big, just splice in some lengths of spruce, with a diagonal scarf joint. I just love working with wood-- everthing is so easily fixable!
Oct 31, 2005, 02:30 AM
Where's the lift?
Thread OP
This is what's still left in the kit box, showing laser-cut wing ribs, formers, bags of hardware, and aluminum joiner rod with brass sleeves. I have already taken out the bulkheads, keel piece, and top formers at this point.
Oct 31, 2005, 04:16 AM
Vintage Flyer

Nice job!

Nice job Glderguy, keep up the postings

Ed
Oct 31, 2005, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the compliments Don and posting your build. I can't wait to see it on the cover of QF .

I passed on your compliments on material selection and quality of cutting to Walt. We take pride in the workmanship from the drafting and cutting of parts, all the way down to the the cartons and labeling we use to ship and the checklists we use to make sure you get everything you paid for.... the first time.

Its nice to hear that it is appreciated. Let me know when you are done and ready to start on your SGU 1-7. I'm sending Jim Ealy his this week .

Tom
Oct 31, 2005, 04:40 PM
TEAM GORGEOUS
I'm going to be ready for my 1/3rd TG-3 soon also.......
Oct 31, 2005, 06:03 PM
Oops. Was I supposed to be doing a big TG?
Oct 31, 2005, 07:18 PM
MTT
MTT
I care about rising air !
Quote:
Yesh, and the 1/3 scale Baby Bowlus....
Still need a project for WC '06.....

Michael
Oct 31, 2005, 08:58 PM
TEAM GORGEOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin55
As the "kids" like to say, " Ah.......ya!" I really like my TG-2 but at 1/5 scale it's a little small for Aerotowing.....you tow to 1200-1300' and it gets small real quick! Don't get me wrong it's a fantastic flying airplane......but at this point in my life I like BIG airplanes.....I've developed the skill over 30 years to be able to fly them with confidence and the income to be able to afford them...This past Saturday we were out and it was a bit windy so we were doing "Honeymooner Tows" ie: "To the moon, Alice"....you would count to 5 and get off because you were at 1300'! I love those over powered tugs! But then again can there actully be such a thing as an "overpowered tug"?
Last edited by SZD16; Nov 03, 2005 at 10:37 PM.
Oct 31, 2005, 09:09 PM
Ok first things first. I promised the TG before I was seduced by your baby. But the 1-7 drawings are already done.....so, I think we should all show up at Woodcrafters with 1:3 scale SGU 1-7s and tell Ray it's now a one-design contest.

tm
Nov 01, 2005, 01:11 AM
Where's the lift?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZD16
I really like my TG-2 but at 1/5 scale it's just to small for Aerotow.....you tow to 1200-1300' and it gets small real quick!
The fifth-scale TG-2 may be a bit on the small side, I guess, but that big blimp fuselage shows off for quite a ways. Anyway, I find that if there is any lift about, I rarely need to tow my TG-2 much higher than a few hundred feet to stay airborne all day. Going all the way to 1300 feet with this bird is like stowing oxygen in a J-3! Who needs it?

The color scheme you see here on the TG-2 is the same scheme I plan to use on the TG-3 (yeah, I know-- twins!). For one, I like it, and for two, it shows up really well, even against a grey Seattle sky. The silver fuselage scheme (ala Pima Air Museum example), would be the wrong choice for good viz.

Don.
Last edited by dgliderguy; Nov 01, 2005 at 09:46 AM.
Nov 01, 2005, 09:42 AM
TEAM GORGEOUS
"I rarely need to tow my TG-2 much higher than a few hundred feet to stay airborne all day."

I agree! That day the winds were 10-12mph and any thermals that where coming thru where gone real quick.........so.......if you wanted more then a 2 mintue ride.....you needed to go to 1300' That and at 132" the plane is just to small for my tastes! I have a small so I need BIG planes!
Last edited by SZD16; Nov 03, 2005 at 10:39 PM.
Nov 01, 2005, 10:15 AM
MTT
MTT
I care about rising air !
Quote:
I really like my TG-2 but at 1/5 scale it's just to small for Aerotow.....you tow to 1200-1300' and it gets small real quick!
I agree...
Us mortals, who are not top notch thermal flyers, need high launch heights, in order to achieve decent flight times...

Anyway, I have found that planes between 4-5m span, are the best compromise :
Ther easy to see, even a high altitude, but still are not so big as to present problems when you need to transport them.
Also, in this size class, you can still get away without the high-end sevos.

But, if am honest all the above are just excuses....
Why do I like big models?
Because I am too vain to wear glasses.....

Michael
Nov 01, 2005, 06:23 PM
TEAM GORGEOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTT
I agree...

Why do I like big models?
Because I am too vain to wear glasses.....

Michael

That and they just fly better..........IMHO.
Nov 01, 2005, 06:54 PM
How old are you guys?

I'm 50 and flew Mike Frickie's TG-3 last summer and had no problem keeping it cored and climbing. Took the stick from Mike and 15 or 20 minutes later was near cloud base, just as easy to see as when I took it over, and like the TG-2, this one is easy to fly, easy to thermal and easy to see!

Mike's has aierlons too Don and with opposite rudder in the turns its easy to maintain bank angle with the ailerons and keep the nose up and the ship climbing in lift.

I think I need to come out with a new model for you other guys and call it the Soaragra. You assemble it and lay it in the grass, drop a little pill in the cockpit, stand back and wait about a minute, and it get itself up and stays up all day .

tm

Quick Reply