guillows p-47 - RC Groups
Oct 29, 2005, 01:19 PM
that tree ate my plane

guillows p-47

i was thinking of building a guilows p-47 thunderbolt and was wondering if anyone has done it. i e-mailed guilows to see if i could get the plans and i will cut the parts out myself. also is a sp400 too much for it. the plane will have a 30" span.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2005, 01:40 PM
Suspended Account
Wish I could give a better answer. I built that plane with the speed 400, but it turned out too nice to fly it. I thing the lighter geared 20mm brushless motors are really the way to go. The Wattage gearbox is not quite as good as the GWS, but will easily firewall mount. I would epoxy glass the inside of the eggshell plastic cowl. Here's some motivation:
Oct 30, 2005, 03:25 AM
renni
How much does your P-47 weigh? Did you insert a retractable landing gear?
More pics please!
Oct 30, 2005, 07:41 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotccapt
i was thinking of building a guilows p-47 thunderbolt and was wondering if anyone has done it. i e-mailed guilows to see if i could get the plans and i will cut the parts out myself. also is a sp400 too much for it. the plane will have a 30" span.
I've found that they respond much better to a phone call. Very nice gal there handles the plans and parts requests.
Oct 30, 2005, 09:02 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by renni
How much does your P-47 weigh? Did you insert a retractable landing gear?
More pics please!
Its a 19 oz tank. Done back when I was sheeting with 1/16, befor I wisely started using 1/32. No retracts, but my Dauntless has retracts. It is another an rc conv, but not flown.
The Hellcat was built to be flow (someday). Its around 17oz with 3s-1320 lipo, and has good wing area. It has fuse sheeting only, and an E-Flite 5400 BL. The retracts work manually on it.
Oct 30, 2005, 08:28 PM
Guillows will also provide a canopy and plastic parts for a very reasonable price.

I highly recommend this project. 12 years ago I flew one on a Norvel .061 using 4 HS-81 servos. It was a heavy 21.5 oz. (no landing gear) and it flew great +++. I had sheeted most of the model with 1/32.

BUT, you really need to consider adding some shape to the lower wing surface. Mine was extremely twitchy with the flat bottom airfoil. Then I added about 1/8" of depth to the lower spar and extended the ribs down also. This made it into a superb flyer.

Now with the current technology, this can easily be built far lighter with easily as much power as I had. Speed 400, however, is a terrible choice in my opinion.

If you want to build the kit more or less stock, then I highly recommend a Hacker A20-34s. 2S Lipo and an APC SF 8 X 3.8 will tug a 12 oz. P-47 with real authority. With 3 servos that are 8 grams or lighter, I think 12 oz. is very easy to do. Silver Solite looks pretty good and is as light as Esaki Japanese tissue with dope.

This would be a very good flying weight. The P-47 is fairly easy to fly. I would strongly suggest adding some aileron area by adding at least an inch to the span of the ailerons and also adding 1/4" to the chord of the ailerons. Put the hinges way up on the upper surface. You will have some (very scale-like) adverse yaw with aileron, but I think you will love the way it handles.

If you can leave the landing gear off, you will find that it will do very smooth belly landings. Mine probably could have done on touch and go since I was turning a tiny 6 inch prop on the .061.

Good luck.

Chris Parent
Oct 31, 2005, 10:52 AM
that tree ate my plane
thanks for the advice i will think about that
Oct 31, 2005, 01:08 PM
Light and floaty does it
If you want to go with an inexpensive brushed motor, a geared 280 would be a good match at an all-up weight of around 12oz, and may be more efficient than a DD Speed 400. And the nose weight is probably useful in a short-nosed warbird.
I agree completely with the comments about modifying the stock Guillows airfoil, which is truly diabolical for a powered RC model of this type.
Last edited by Work in Progress; Oct 31, 2005 at 01:13 PM.
Oct 31, 2005, 02:29 PM
Crash and Build
Got one started on my bench, I was going to put a nippy brushless in and use LiPos or Kans if I needed weight......but I have since bought a ryan Jug tht has jumped ahead in the line!

I emailed Guillows and got a new copy of the plan...no charge. But they took about 2 weeks to answer my email.

First must finish the MM Tantrum that only needs electronics...yikes
Oct 31, 2005, 03:00 PM
I want to fly everything!
If you really want to use a speed 400 and you are cutting all the parts yourself why not blow the plans up to about a 36 to 40" span. Of course you won't have the cowl and canopy. I'd go with a smaller motor like everyone says.
Oct 31, 2005, 06:06 PM
that tree ate my plane
what type of gear ratio shuold i use and what manufactureres for motor and gear box. thanks for all the advice still waiting on the email reply i might try calling them in the next couple of days. still trying to decide if i still want the p-47 or a p-51
Oct 31, 2005, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotccapt
what type of gear ratio shuold i use and what manufactureres for motor and gear box. thanks for all the advice still waiting on the email reply i might try calling them in the next couple of days. still trying to decide if i still want the p-47 or a p-51
Wow. I would get some flying experience first with a plane in this size range, so that you have a feel for what you prefer.

The P-47 and P-51 are much different in size. A Guillows (1/16th scale) P-51 will be quite a bit smaller than a 1/16th P-47. (The Hellcat will be similar in size.)

I think any recommended "canned solution" can end up being useless if a few facts are wrong. Like target weight.

Check the threads on the F6F kit that was on the Parkflyers forum alot last year. This will list all sorts of flight packages that guys used successfully. Here is the manufacturer's page:

http://www.mountainmodels.com/hellcat.php

So at 8 to 9 oz. an IPS-A will fly it. But if you crrep up to the 12 oz range then consider my original posted recommendation for power.

Radio: get a small receiver. A Hitec electron 6, FMA M5, or anything in that weight range. Avoid the GWS receiver - read all about radio stuff on the radio forum.

There are all sorts of small servos. Use anything 8 grams or lighter.
You have a recommendation for a Speed 280 to go inexpensive, of a Hacker A20-34s to go brushless.

Good luck. But really do first get some flyting experience with a similarly sized plane.

CP
Oct 31, 2005, 08:39 PM
that tree ate my plane
i tipicly fly wings and i have ahitec neon a micro recever and hs-55 servose also i have a 1050mah 2 cell lipo i was just looking at power set ups. i will be test flying a piper cub w/ a sp400 and a 44" spane tomarow. any manufactures that would be recomended for a motor because i know that motors of one manufacturer are different than others
Oct 31, 2005, 08:54 PM
mike molt was going to do one like this p-47 but he preferred to do a trainer instead..I made the guillows p-47, its pretty heavy, i scrapped it out after a while..

i have one of his molts hellcat's not yet built,and one built, but that was a super nice kit in this size range..and its available from Mountain Models ..

with total engineering, and a super plan--they can come out in the 8-9 oz range --and i am sure it could be even less with contest wood..

also its sometimes difficult to make em without wheels, but they do fly nicer and look much better in flight..my hellcat w/o wheels is about the best plane i ever made,,out of dozens of planes

just a thought..

T
Nov 01, 2005, 12:34 PM

i am building one right now..

i am concerned about the flat bottommed airfoil as others have mentioned it. ctparent, by twitchy do you mean having a tendency to porpoise up and down? do you think that changing wing indicende would help?

i know that my FS rare bear, at 8 ounces and undercambered wing, seems to have two distinct flight regimes. at high speed it seems to fly like a typical airfoil, but when its slowed diwn the undercambere becomes apparent. i know that at times when it seems to transition between the two it seems twitchy. wonder if it isnt the same thing with the guillows p47 jug.