Old Oct 27, 2005, 10:55 PM
Find More Posts by mrebman

GWS BN2 Islander Motor Mounting - Here's how I did it!

I am working on a GWS BN2 Islander mainly because I like the Johnson 250 Brushed motor & think that the BN2 will be a excellent airframe for the J250 motors.
The first problem I ran into is that the GWS folks decided that the way to mount the stock motors was to screw the thin flimsy plastic cowling to the front of the motor & in effect just suspend the motors in the cowling & use just the cowling as a motor mount, how whacked is that? Anyway, I think I have found a better way to mount the motors more solidly. I gently filed the side of each of the motor indentations in the foam wing to accomodate a 1/8" Ply motor mount which I epoxied to the J250 motor, the mount is then firmly epoxied into the foam indentation. I calculated where the motor would be IF it were suspended in the cowling & that's were I hard mounted the motor. Now the flimsy foam cowling is just decorative & will just slide right over the motor & no one will know the difference.

Has anybody else hard mounted their BN2 motors? Anybody using the Johnson 250 motors in their BN2?

- Thanks -

Mike
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2005, 12:37 AM
CSI
Find More Posts by CSI
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Mike,
Very neat idea! I am putting this idea in my "great ideas to remember" book for my future BN-2 build. Looks clean and logical. How are you attaching the cowls now? Will they be removeable for easy maintainence?
Thanks for sharing.
Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2005, 09:36 AM
Find More Posts by Travy
Here's some info on how I did mine and how others did thier's

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...highlight=bn2+
Old Oct 28, 2005, 12:28 PM
Find More Posts by cincy
Plane Crazy
Hey Mike
Looks good! I plan on bringing my BN2 to the CSF field this weekend. I love the landings with my BN2. Under a little power it will grease right on in there. Are you going to make the nose wheel steerable?
Old Oct 28, 2005, 04:14 PM
Find More Posts by dk944s2
A nice, solid-looking setup. Good work!

--Doug
Old Oct 28, 2005, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy
Hey Mike
Looks good! I plan on bringing my BN2 to the CSF field this weekend. I love the landings with my BN2. Under a little power it will grease right on in there. Are you going to make the nose wheel steerable?
Cincy:
I may stop out at the CSF field this weekend too but the wife has lots of chores lined up for me. Lately i have been having a lot of fun flying my GWS A10 with (2) Johnson 250 pusher motors. I do plan on making the nosewheel steerable, I love taxing out to the runway & taxing back & the nosewheel lets me make some corrections when taking of from the runway. My BN2 will be painted Cub Yellow & will hopefully end up looking much like the BN2 pictured below. Are you using J250's on your BN2? How heavy did yours end up? Are you using the rudder? I may just end up not cutting out the rudder for now & flying just aileron & elevator.

Ken:
I am just going to glue the cowlings on, I am not planning on doing much maintenance, I figure that with using the conservative EP-4025C props I should get pretty good motor life.

-Mike-
Old Oct 28, 2005, 09:47 PM
Find More Posts by cincy
Plane Crazy
I used the stock motors that came with my bn2 (I think they were 300s?). It has plenty of power. Probably the fastest stock gws plane I have flown. I did cut out and use the rudder. I'm not sure of the weight. I'll check it out later tonight and post the weight.

Heres a pic of mine. I hope to get to the CSF field tomorrow around 4pm. Try to sneak out if you can!!
Old Oct 28, 2005, 09:58 PM
Find More Posts by cincy
Plane Crazy
Okay - weight on mine is 13.4oz without battery, 16.6 with a two cell 1900 mah lipo.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 10:39 PM
Find More Posts by CatchmyCorsair
Ohh Snapp!
Cincy, we met at the CSF field last time you came. I don't know if you remember me, I was one of the younger guys.

We are usually there by 8am and gone by 1:30pm on Saturday, so if you can make it out earlier you could fly with more of the guys. If you can't, I could try to make it out later in the day, I'll have to see.

-Steve
Old Oct 28, 2005, 10:59 PM
Find More Posts by cincy
Plane Crazy
Hi Steve
Yeah you fly the super decath right? Unfortunately I can't make it out till later tomorrow. I could go early Sunday morning though.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 11:50 PM
Ohh Snapp!
Sunday morning will work. A few guys should be out there early also.
The Decathlon is old news now. I fly a Stryker on 3cell Lipo.
I think the Dec. motor is worn out, I couldn't get it to climb at all with a hand launch.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 11:51 PM
I am going to try & make it out to CSF sometime this weekend, either Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning but also a bunch of guys fly at Joyce Park on Sunday morning also.

-Mike-
Old Oct 29, 2005, 08:32 PM
Ohh Snapp!
Cincy and Mike,

I don't think many of the regular guys can make it out to the field tomorrow. Are you two still planning on going? If so, what time?
Old Oct 29, 2005, 08:51 PM
I plan on going out to the field (Sunday) on my way back from Joyce park about 10:30 AM, maybe 11:00 or so. I will have my Tiger Moth 400, 3DX, Ultimate Bipe & A10 Warthog. (This is as many as will fit in the car)

-Mike-
Old Oct 29, 2005, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy
Okay - weight on mine is 13.4oz without battery, 16.6 with a two cell 1900 mah lipo.
Cincy:
That weight is Awesome! My A10 weighs almost 21 OZ with battery & nose lead & yet still flies pretty fast so I am pretty anxious to to get the BN2 completed, should fly like a scalded dog with the J250's!

-Mike-