Oct 26, 2005, 11:09 PM
Crash Master
Thread OP
Build Log

Blu-51ips Smaller version for ips motor

Got a challenge over in the DPF thread, so I decided to work it out. I scaled down the Blu-51cd and cheated the wing area a tad to help keep the wing loading down.. It worked like a charm. It came out plenty light and flies great.

The specs:
24"ws
130sqin
4.5oz
5oz/sf

Equipment used:
Peeled BluCor Fan Fold
Hot Glue
Sharpies
2 Pico Servos
Plantraco DSP-4SC (about the same weight as a Pico rx and 2a esc)
IPS-A w/ 9070rs prop
2s340 pack (250 & 700 also fly fine)

Video: http://media.putfile.com/Maiden-flig...51-ips-version
or: http://www.zippyvideos.com/370500926...51_ips_maiden/

Finished pictures & plans below, construction pictures follow.
Last edited by Gene Bond; Oct 27, 2005 at 07:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2005, 11:40 PM
Looks like a winner!! Going to try one with IPS A with the little Fiegao motor, off my TM. Looks like you cooked the foam after you skinned it? Lit my be the first to say thanks again for all your efforts in keeping FFr's busy.

Paul
Oct 27, 2005, 12:02 AM
Heli's rule!
arg another one for me to build! I actualy built a blu-51 CD but am too chicken to try it lol.
Oct 27, 2005, 12:18 AM
Lazy dog
Looks great Gene! I just happen to have a couple of IPS motors handy, I think I'll give it a go.
Oct 27, 2005, 06:37 AM
Crash Master
Thread OP
Forgot to mention... Yes, I did put a light tempering on the pieces... after I did the airfoil and the sharpie-art.

It will be even better with an IPS-2S ratio with an 8x4.3, or with a Feigao bl in place of the stock motor, or with a 20mm CDR motor, or, or.... BUT, the point is... It flies fine with the stock IPS-A!
Oct 27, 2005, 06:41 AM
Gene, Please check the video link. Thanks
Oct 27, 2005, 06:52 AM
Crash Master
Thread OP
The video took a while to load last night, but not too long this morning. Putfile may be getting overloaded? I'll try to get it uploaded to an alternate site.

ok, try this:
Last edited by Gene Bond; Oct 27, 2005 at 07:00 AM.
Oct 27, 2005, 08:27 AM
Suspended Account
Hmmmm...I wonder how this little rascal would fly with a CDR...

This hobby is getting too expensive.
Oct 27, 2005, 09:03 AM
This is a GREAT !! little flyer. back when i was still flying "A" motors, i would have never dreamed one could fly this well. Gene did a great job, keeping the weight down.... and boy did it pay off. sweet !!!!!!

jer
Oct 27, 2005, 09:52 AM
Crash Master
Thread OP
Yea, we were talking about it after the maiden flight(s), saying that if we had planes back when we were heavy into IPS systems that flew like this, we may never have even gone to the J-250, much less brushless... Then we laughed and said, "Yea, right!"

The point is, we are human males, and the urge to overpower everything is genetically encoded into our DNA

My point is, in order for this to fly well indoors, this relatively big prop, turning very slowly by today's standards, is required to maintain thrust at low speeds, while maintaining controlability. A small CDR-type motor could be wound to keep the power down to a reasonable level so small batteries could be used, but it can not start this big prop if it is expected to be a low power drive.

What we need (here we go!) is a 1 ounce CDR-type motor that has about a 30mm diameter, and can safely run 30w continuous. THIS would be an IPS replacement. The 20 & 22.7mm motors, when wound for low speed, can not reliably start this prop, at least as far as I've seen.

BTW, as I said, this would fly even better (outdoors) on an IPS-S2 ratio, or a CDR with 17-25 turns and an 8" prop. It just probably wouldn't fly as well slow. I think it'd take a lot of work to keep it flying, working the throttle to gain thrust where needed, and backing it down to maintain a low speed once in level flight.
Oct 27, 2005, 09:57 AM

For us that don't know...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
.....................It will be even better with an IPS-2S ratio with an 8x4.3, or with a Feigao bl in place of the stock motor, or with a 20mm CDR motor, or, or.... BUT, the point is... It flies fine with the stock IPS-A!
OK, I'm not sure, but is this the GWS IPS?????????????? if not, can you provide more detail? and.......... if it IS GWS, can you tell us some of the planes it IS used on??? ie, I'm not acquainted with IPS and am trying to get some kind of a "feel" for it's capabilities...... like is it superior/inferior to J250 (generally, not getting onto a lot of "what if's")........... or is it VASTLY superior, or............... get what I mean???

Thanks,
LarryR
Oct 27, 2005, 10:49 AM
Crash Master
Thread OP
The IPS (Indoor Power System) is (IMO) what put GWS on the map. It is/was their premier product, with little if any competition. Originally, it was used in the 'Stick' models, the Pico Stick & J-3 Stick, also sold by Wattage as the LiteStick... They came out with the -F (full fuselage) versions of these planes, which were just a hair heavier, and could certainly use a little more power, so they got with it and came out with the EPS (Electric Power System) which uses either a 280 motor (currently 2 different winds in the 100 and 150 series) or a 370 motor (again, 2 winds with the 300 or 350 series)... The Tigermoth followed the 'sticks' and worked fine with the IPS as well. That's where they stopped, though! Virtually every new plane they came out with since has been designed around the larger, heavier, more powerful system... ignoring the Slow-Flyer market... I suggested a series of IPS warbirds way back when to Mr Lin, but was ignored (surprise, surprise), since he was convinced that the American market was power hungry. <eamwhile, several other companies have designed good planes around this system, but most were Balsa Kits.

Anyway, the IPS is typically good for 14-20 watts (2s &3s), or 2a in simple terms. The J-250 is good for 30-60 watts. The IPS weighs about 1/2 of the J-250 geared... about 1 ounce.

Superior? Only in terms of weight. And, for small models to fly well, they need to be light! This model will surely be built up to about 10oz by someone. It'll be a rocket, and stall speed will be about 3x what the top speed is for the intended purpose.

It will be fun to see some of the wild variations in power, weight, etc which will surely come
Oct 27, 2005, 01:18 PM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
What we need (here we go!) is a 1 ounce CDR-type motor that has about a 30mm diameter, and can safely run 30w continuous. THIS would be an IPS replacement. The 20 & 22.7mm motors, when wound for low speed, can not reliably start this prop, at least as far as I've seen.
Gene,
I am a little confused by the above statement as I have wound 20mm CDR's that will reliably start a GWS 0840HD prop on 2S making 5oz. of thrust. Either I am doing somthing different or wrong to get these results.
The question I have is, if the plane is setup for elevator and ailerons, does there need to be any dihedral?
Thanks and I look forward to making this plane as a Christmas gift for my son by marriage. C-YA RL
Oct 27, 2005, 01:41 PM
Soil Density Tester
I built my son and myself some 23" Bearcats with IPS motors and they flew nicely indoors or out. Now we both have them powered by Feigaos in an IPS A gearbox turning the black GWS 8x4 props with kokam 3S 340 batteries. The IPS were fun but birds chased the planes. Now we chase the birds.

I got the feigao in my sons plane from TOG when I was working in NJ last year.

Gene, you, TOG, EWO and GPW have taught so much to a lot of us. Keep up the good work!

Quick Reply