Oct 25, 2005, 06:58 PM
Thread OP

Help! Cox Experts!

I was wondering if the Cox .09 or the .15 Mk ll put out as much power as a
Norvel? The Mk ll .15 is the Tee Dee type, not the Conquest. I'm looking for something with a little more power than a Norvel, but not as heavy as most
.10 or .12 engines. Any ideas out there?
Ross

Is it windy out?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2005, 09:04 AM
As much power as a Norvel what? A Cox TD 09 and MkII .15's will blow the doors off almost anything in the air.

Later,
Tim
Oct 26, 2005, 09:38 AM
Thread OP
Sorry, I meant the .061-.074 Norvels. The .15 would be too heavy for my application.
Ross

Is it windy out?
Oct 26, 2005, 02:11 PM
Ross,

Other than the Conquest .15 no other Cox has a better power to weight ratio than the Cox TD .09. Those things are flat out runners. One will out run most modern .15's any day of the week.

Later,
Tim
Oct 26, 2005, 06:51 PM
Thread OP
Tim,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to get the .09, it sounds perfect for the job. Ross

Is it windy out?
Oct 26, 2005, 09:58 PM
B for Bruce
I just read another thread about the TeeDee09's. You need the right prop to let 'em sing in order to get the best power. An APC 7x4 was suggested as well as a 7x3.

If your 09 is the one with the read plastic carb then it's a Medallion. Still a nice engine but not as strong as a Norvel 074.
Nov 07, 2005, 08:07 PM
If you can find them, a Cox 7 X 3.5" prop may give you the best thrust on the TD .09.
Nov 07, 2005, 10:17 PM
Thread OP
Got my 09 cox today. Looks like a beauty! Can't beat the price either, $29.99. I bought the muffler for a ten spot and the motor mount was a giveaway at $1. I know
the muff will knock down power some, but I'm using it on my 2-channel Lanier U2
foamy glider, so I think it will be fine. This is my "take it easy and have fun" plane, so
speed isn't a big issue.
Ordered a different .09 today also. It is a Cipolla .09 Junior RC. Found it on Hobbyclub.com. They have some engines I hadn't heard of including this one. Ross
Nov 13, 2005, 04:43 PM
Hi All,

I'm from Israel and was shocked to notice that TowerHobbies (were I used to by my COX items) does not have COX engines anymore.
Were can I order Cox engines (and their accessories like mufflers...), to be shipped to Israel?

Thanks, Oren
Nov 13, 2005, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neniwein
Were can I order Cox engines (and their accessories like mufflers...), to be shipped to Israel?
Oren --

Try COX Models -- an email should answer if they will ship to Israel.
Nov 16, 2005, 07:42 PM
The Cox TD.09, when it runs well, has got to be the baddest motor I have ever seen. Especially with the Cox 7x3.5, easily breakable, prop. No other engine/prop combo has given so much pleasure, coupled with so much aggrevation. Seriously though, use good 25% nitro fuel and you shouldn't have too many running problems. But be aware, a tall blade of grass will break those Cox props on landing. That is not an overstatement. Get rid of that muffler too. Its just gonna make the engine run inconsistantly. You'll learn to love that "angry hornet" sound soon enough.
Nov 17, 2005, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by on pipe
Ordered a different .09 today also. It is a Cipolla .09 Junior RC. Found it on Hobbyclub.com. They have some engines I hadn't heard of including this one. Ross
Ross,

They sure have a lot of stuff on their web-site. Have you dealt with them before?

Some of the engines are at great prices, plus some PriceRite old-timers that I haven't seen for 5 years. I have to wonder if the site is up to date.

John
Nov 17, 2005, 11:15 PM
Thread OP
Pilot Error; I agree about the muffler, it doesn't quiet it down a whole lot anyway. You're also right about thing being a screamer! It WILL turn my old foamy into a hornet!
johnvb; I haven't ordered from them before. When I looked on the site a couple days ago, it said my order has been processed and gave me a number. I hope that means it will be coming soon. Nothing worse than getting all schoolgirl about a product and then finding out the company went belly-up years ago... Ross
Nov 18, 2005, 08:27 PM
Cox website is offering TD-09's at 29.99. Thats what I paid for them 15 years ago.
Nov 12, 2007, 06:50 PM
Will a Cox 0.049 muffler work on a 0.09 Tee dee?
For a 3m sailplane using a 0.09 Tee Dee what prop would you recommend?

Quick Reply