Aug 31, 2008, 06:23 PM
I have been building another acrobipe. After I flew my last version inverted into the ground. I forgot which way to pull up at 15'. oops. Well I have spent alot of time drawing the graphics on this one. I think I did a pretty decent job. I still need to finish installing the electronics. Well stuff the motor is installed as is the elevator servo. Ailerons need to be attached and I should be able to maiden tomorrow.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2008, 07:25 PM
thats REALLY nice
Aug 31, 2008, 08:00 PM
Awesome!
I am building another one too, although I'm not sure I'll be showing any pictures now!
Aug 31, 2008, 08:25 PM
I will give my secret to the graphics.

The paint is testors model master flat. I use flat because the masking tape doesn't stick to it very well and the tape is easier to remove without removing paint from the foam. I didn't use accrylics. I wanted the enamel to etch a bit into the foam to stick well.

The markings were drawn in auto cad. I then printed them out on clear lable film. For the markings on the bottom of the wing and the tail I used paper as they needed to be opaque due to the black. On the tail I needed white as part of the graphic. This way I could just paint the bottom of the wing black and just glue on the paper with white glue.

The black lettering etc. you can see where I surrounded the marking with yellow. Which was a little darker than regular yellow. this is a perfect color match on paper. but since it is a clear film. it darkened where it was yellow sticker on yellow paint. Oh well next time I will use a lighter yellow when printing the sticker sheet.

I also learned I need to seal after printing the sticker . Maybe spray some sort of art sealer on the sheet before I cut. As sweaty hands tend to remove printed markings from clear film. I am sure morning due will too. The clear lable film sticks really well to the painted model. The bottom marking which is also label paper does not stick well. I had to smear it with white glue.

For the silver stripe I used silver sharpie and a ruller. I was going to use pin striping tape. but decided to save the wt. I did use the silver pinstriping on the canopy.

For the tinted canopy. I used Tamiya transparent smoke. I also tried transparent blue, to make it look like the prototype but my airbrush was dirty with opaque residue. so the blue didn't turn out. I will have to strip the blue paint and try again for the next version. The pilot I left in there but just painted everthing in there flat black. That way there is no reason to detail. She is just a silowhett.

Can't wait to maiden it. I have been missing haveing a small airobatic biplane in my fleet.

Jim leroys Bulldog was such a sharp plane. Tobad he is gone. The Bulldog II was an even fancier plane. but a bit to complex for acropipe today. Maybe the next one.
Last edited by sinkinpat; Aug 31, 2008 at 08:38 PM.
Aug 31, 2008, 09:35 PM
Good job snikinpad!
Keep them flying!
Janusz
Aug 31, 2008, 10:42 PM
I want to attempt a different powerplant.... I have a 10g hobbycity motor, supposed to make 90g of thrust with a gws 3x3 prop
Sep 01, 2008, 12:28 AM
IMHO as long as you stay with 3x3 prop to avoid prop torque you will be fine.
Sep 02, 2008, 11:44 AM
I am going to try a new powerplant too. same 10g motor. But I am going to throw the 5X3X3 on it. I see people having sucess with that combo on the Cox micro warbirds.
Sep 02, 2008, 10:48 PM
maidenened tonight. first throw went straight down. needed up elevator. After a slight adjustment with thetrims, I was back to normal. I needed quite a bit of up elevator. It might be due to the fact that it just a bit nose heavy this time around. not quite sure why. all the same gear. In the same locations. The CG is 1/8" in from of the plastic spar. I need to move some gear back. It is strange. in the past I needed to move as much as far forward as possible. Also you can see I added a tailwheel from a Parkzone micro flyer. Later I will see if it helps my on pavement landings and takeoff. So far it seems to really help straighten out when I taxi around the driveway.
Sep 19, 2008, 06:38 PM
It wasn't my fault!!
Great job btw.. It may have a slight wing incidence difference or something.

I would like to see some video of that flying.. mine bit the dust *lol* I have a new plane but I need to move everything over (basically do everything) though.. I admire your patience there.. Nice one!
Sep 22, 2008, 05:03 PM
new b happen upon this thread. what is a acro- bipe how do you get it?

thanks
gramps
Sep 22, 2008, 05:30 PM
It's a rubber powered biplane that is awesome for RC conversion. Works well with 5 gram brushless motors. It's available here,

http://www.ubhobbies.com/displayroom...l?catuid=14722
Sep 22, 2008, 05:50 PM
thanks

gramps
Sep 22, 2008, 07:38 PM
It wasn't my fault!!
Somtimes you can get these for under 10 bucks at Harbor Freight.. But not seen one for over 12 months. Last I saw, they were selling them off for $5.00 each and I'm still kicking myself for getting only 1.

Had I known how much fun these are I would have cleaned them out.

Sep 22, 2008, 08:43 PM
I found them for $3.50 bought 13 of them