May 20, 2002, 10:17 AM
RPV builder & operator
Thread OP

Gimme some paint scheme ideas for the Pico Jet

Well I just couldn't resist the temptation, and picked the first generation pico at my LHS for less than US$40. I'm looking for some ideas for coloring the dull grey foam. I don't care much for the bumble bee sticker set that came with it.
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2002, 06:33 PM
you could.....

spray whole thing black, then spray the leading edge and nose dayglo orange. sounds weird but i saw a twinjet done like this and it looks cool!

or paint whole thing a metallic yellow/gold colour then the rear of plane metallic black, including over the fin. then get metallic titanium and spray the tip of the nose in that from the front. so you have from the front, silver, gold/yellow, black.

or black rear, red mid section, yellow nose,......metallic of course

or for the funky approach, purple rear, yellow front, again METALLIC

or whole plane metallic dark blue with handpainted silver 'sharp' camoflauge on top or handpainted silver racing squares would look the biz.......

man i'm out........
but, i suggest you put on some medicine airscoops for the 'jet' look. oh and they increase drag too. but cool the ncd.......

Peter

perhaps prime the plane so the paint has a better 'key' when applied? then there's always a see-thru lacquer for the final finish.....
May 20, 2002, 08:16 PM
RPV builder & operator
Thread OP
I've started spreading some light weight spackle over the bare foam. There are lots of gaps between the foam beads. I also tapered the trailing edge of the bottom fin, read something somewhere about improving the flow to the prop.

Mostly black paint would be different, sort of a bat plane. I could paint some scallops on the trailing edges to enhance the effect.
May 20, 2002, 10:37 PM
Professional Dork
This is by far the best Pico Jet I've seen. I think this belonged to Slowflyer.
Last edited by Randy S; May 20, 2002 at 10:40 PM.
May 20, 2002, 10:38 PM
Professional Dork
And another one...
May 21, 2002, 06:03 AM
Master
My vote went to the Avro Vulcan that appeared some time back :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ghlight=Vulcan
May 22, 2002, 08:34 PM

Re: Gimme some paint scheme ideas for the Pico Jet

Military schemes are cool, but that little jet gets small very fast and orientation becomes a problem (and we all know what happens next). I put flourecent yellow and orange bursts on both wings, and splashes of geometric shapes on the tail fin, I can turn it, flash the color, and know where I'm at. Never lost orientation yet, and mine is 2 years old. I lost a Twinjet due to grey sky cammo. I did think of a desert cammo, which may show up better.
May 23, 2002, 08:32 AM
RPV builder & operator
Thread OP
I'm leaning towards a Blue Angel color scheme, navy blue with yellow tips, and a yellow stripe on top of the fuse. I hope that may be sufficient for orientation.

Quick Reply