Oct 22, 2005, 08:16 PM
Thread OP

Quick spray booth

I am looking at setting up a small spray booth, a temporary/light weigth set-up. Figured to make the top, sides and door from clear plastic sheeting. anchored at the top along the joists and the floor by 2x4's . What will be a decent fan to exhaust the fumes? Would a computer fan provide enough pull? Will exhaust thru a piece of paneling that replaces a window glass pane.

Doug
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2005, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by talonxracer
I am looking at setting up a small spray booth, a temporary/light weigth set-up.Doug
I thought about using that approach, until I spotted this on sale in a Harbor Freight flyer. Got it for $99 delivered.

Saved a _lot_ of time and running around collecting materials. Goes together in about 15 minutes (with 2 people).

I didn't anchor it, and yesterday's thunderstorms (the ones that ate part of TN) didn't budge it.
Oct 22, 2005, 09:50 PM

PVC spray booth

I also needed a temporary light weight spray booth and ended up building one from PVC piping and a clear plastic drop cloth. The frame was built from inch PVC piping which was held together with PVC piping joins which proves a good friction fit that can be easily disassembled. Once the frame was created I then wrapped and taped a plastic drop cloth which a got from a dollar store. Final bill for PVC pieces and covering was less than 30 dollars.

Hope this helps.

Jim Connell
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Oct 23, 2005, 08:51 AM
I don't think a computer fan would do the job Doug. I previously made a dust extraction box with ducting to the outside of garage... tried a computer fan- was not enough.
I opted for a cheap bathroom exhaust fan on a dimmer switch matched to the wattage of the motor. In front of the fan was aquarium filter wool. Would be fine enough for paint overspray too.

Cheers Brett
Oct 23, 2005, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by talonxracer
I am looking at setting up a small spray booth, a temporary/light weigth set-up. Figured to make the top, sides and door from clear plastic sheeting. anchored at the top along the joists and the floor by 2x4's . What will be a decent fan to exhaust the fumes? Would a computer fan provide enough pull? Will exhaust thru a piece of paneling that replaces a window glass pane.

Doug
I use a fifty dollar attic gabel exhaust fan. More than enough air flow with a throw-away air filter strapped in front of it.

Not a good photo, but you can see that it's mounted in a square of ply, and I can pretty much stick the thing where ever I need it. In the spray booth (greenhouse), I just parked it in the zippered door and let it pull air in through the vent in the back of the tent and exhaust out the front. Haven't done any painting yet, but the fan made short work of all the _mosquitoes_ in the greenhouse when I tested it.
Oct 23, 2005, 05:50 PM
Guys, some interesting resource going on here, and the green house is a steal, wish we had something like that available here in the UK. I used to spray classic cars and have recently sprayed two planes, one small and one 62" span plane using a home built plastic and wood framed enclosure. You are right to install a fan to extract, only if you have sealed up ALL the openings, and allowed a vent for air to enter which MUST be filtered. If you simply extract air, dirty air will be drawn in from the outside making a real mess of the paint work. Here is a tip, before spraying, fill one of those pressure pumped up bottles you buy for garden fertilizer with water and thoroughly mist down the inside of the spray booth, this helps keep the dust and crud on the floor and not swirling around.
Use good paint and equipment, if yous need more info can point in the right direction.
Some pics attached.
Oct 24, 2005, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Scully
You are right to install a fan to extract, only if you have sealed up ALL the openings, and allowed a vent for air to enter which MUST be filtered. If you simply extract air, dirty air will be drawn in from the outside making a real mess of the paint work. Here is a tip, before spraying, fill one of those pressure pumped up bottles you buy for garden fertilizer with water and thoroughly mist down the inside of the spray booth, this helps keep the dust and crud on the floor and not swirling around.
Ooohhh !!!

Nice catch.

Promptly saved this tidbit in my 'techniques/painting' folder.

Thanks muchly.
Oct 25, 2005, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Scully
Guys, some interesting resource going on here, and the green house is a steal, wish we had something like that available here in the UK. I used to spray classic cars and have recently sprayed two planes, one small and one 62" span plane using a home built plastic and wood framed enclosure. You are right to install a fan to extract, only if you have sealed up ALL the openings, and allowed a vent for air to enter which MUST be filtered. If you simply extract air, dirty air will be drawn in from the outside making a real mess of the paint work. Here is a tip, before spraying, fill one of those pressure pumped up bottles you buy for garden fertilizer with water and thoroughly mist down the inside of the spray booth, this helps keep the dust and crud on the floor and not swirling around.
Use good paint and equipment, if yous need more info can point in the right direction.
Some pics attached.
Hi Marc,

Didn't realize the picture was rotated. Nice setup. I've done something on a smaller scale but it does not allow me to get far enough back from the paint surface. I like how you are able to do all this inside your house. Winter around were I live makes painting outside difficult.

Kin

http://www.embeddedtronics.com/
Last edited by kfong; Oct 25, 2005 at 11:58 AM.

Quick Reply