Building the Dare PBY for R/C - RC Groups
Oct 21, 2005, 10:04 PM
Discussion

Building the Dare PBY for R/C

Got started framing the Dare PBY this week. The model will be flown from water, so is being set up with 4 ch. Recomemded power is twin IPS, but will reserve the right to choose the drive systems until we se what she's going to weigh.

It all started with framing the wings. The center section was done first. The joinery is being added for the removable outer panels since the model will need to be shipped upon completion. Holes were also cut into the ribs to accommodate the aileron servo and motor wiring.
The left outer panel was laid out and the hacking for the ailerons worked out. Then the patterns for all the additional parts were worked out and the parts cut for both sides. At this point, the left hand panel is pretty well done (no photo yet), and ready to cut the tubes and slide it all together.
PAT
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2005, 07:01 AM
Former Durafly Brand Manager
Keep it coming, I've been waiting to see more on this kit!
Oct 22, 2005, 04:16 PM
Pat, I got most of the fuse stringered up. It is complicated to figure out, but, it does work. I ended up soaking and bending all the longerons/stringers rather than splcing in curved pieces. The only curved cuts were the chine and keel pieces. Hey, this is getting me in shape to start that boat!

Will post a pic when the hull is done up. Can tell covering will not be so simple. The fin on the PBY is an integral part of the back end of the fuse, so, it will all have to covered at one time. I did decide on white with red wingtips, per the fire bombers in WA state.

charlie
Oct 22, 2005, 09:44 PM
Here are the top and bottom photos of the stringered fuse.

A couple of bad parts have already shown up. Two side formers and one of the fin parts. I'll talk to Midkiff and see if we can't get those fixed in fuure kits. Even with perfect parts I'd consider this more of a kit for advanced modellers rather than intermediate. A lot of "sensitive" building points, kind that are hard to figure out, and, if you figure wrong you get to rebuild it.

So far, the wood quality is pretty good. Haven't broken any pieces in all the bending I've done ( a new record for me ).

BTW, mine will be stock 3ch. Twin IPS drives. 2 or 3cell Lipos. Covered with Solite. What few graphics there are will come from Callie's.

Pat, there isn't any guide as to where to put the access hatch, so, am considering the canopy area at the front of the fuse. It is sheeted there so should be a good place to break into it.

Mine will also be fitted with detachable wheels. I will hand launch and land on grass most of the time, but, want to have wheels for those days with a hrd runway. No plans for water work.

charlie
Oct 22, 2005, 09:46 PM
Note how neat and clean Pat's bench is compared to mine. Try and duplicate Pat's not mine
Oct 22, 2005, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
Note how neat and clean Pat's bench is compared to mine. Try and duplicate Pat's not mine
My bench really isn't much cleaner, it's just that I spent the "cleaning time" cropping the photos
PAT
Oct 26, 2005, 09:06 AM

Shaping the Wing

The second out board panel went together well using the patterns from the first panel.
While the second panel was drying, the first outer panel and the center section were sanded to shape and the plug in joinery added. Aluminum tubes will be used to keep the weight down, and should be more then adaquately strong. From here, I'll get the RH panel shaped up and the joinery in, then start adding the hard points for the struts, tip floats and the engine nacelles.
PAT
Oct 26, 2005, 01:04 PM
Well, am I embarrassed

The fin piece that didn't fit was because I pulled the rudder piece out instead. Now I get to cut a new rudder piece

Finished the fuse and got it all sheeted and sanded and have started on the wing. So, when are you going to catch up Pat?

charlie
Nov 05, 2005, 08:53 AM

Framing the Fuselage

The fuselage structure is a basic internal truss, surrounded by formers and stringers. So far, the basic "box" went together fine, but am having a little trouble with the formers. There are a couple fit and alignment problems with the formers, not a huge deal at this point but will offer up the details as things progress, hopefully keep someone elso out of trouble. The main problem is that the parts ID sheets don't match the laser cut parts, so finding the right parts has been a challenge.
PAT
Nov 05, 2005, 10:32 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
Is this a race? Who's taking the bets? PBY and the Sunderland are my favorite flying boats. Any thoughts yet as to the colors and markings?

Mike
Nov 05, 2005, 11:13 AM
Suspended Account
I knew th PBYs would catch on sooner or later. Such a beautiful plane! I'll be following this one. Suddenly PBYs are all over the first thread page.
As for the covering metioned before, it is a bit of a job. I overlapped pieces of Monokote at every corner, before overall covering. Not a drop of water inside. The wheel areas were glue sealed and painted many times. May want to consider an elevator bellcrank. I used it to eliminate an opening, and it looks better (actually you don't see it at all).
Now I see why the Dare is so light. Definitely a bit different construction than my sheeted Guillows. Decide on a color scheme yet?
Nov 09, 2005, 08:42 AM

Making Progress on the Fuselage

With the fuselage main frame finished, the outer formers are added. There were 3 stations where problems crept in fitting the formers. Once the stringers start going in I'll determine where the fill sill be required to flush it all out. The top former aon the back end will undoubtedly need replacing since it's not even close.
PAT
Nov 09, 2005, 09:10 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
With the fuselage main frame finished, the outer formers are added. There were 3 stations where problems crept in fitting the formers. Once the stringers start going in I'll determine where the fill sill be required to flush it all out. The top former aon the back end will undoubtedly need replacing since it's not even close.
PAT
The fit problems are not surprising. I've added ships/strips many times to correct fit problems. I think many kit manufacturers do not go back and correct problems, even if they become aware of them. They trust our modelling skills to make the small corrections.
Nov 09, 2005, 09:30 AM
Dare is actually beginning to accept some suggestions on improving their kits, especially in parts fitting. Nice change from the past.

I have finished wing and fuse (except for joiner tubes) and am working on the rudder and stab/elevator.

This is probably the most difficult kit I have worked on. Even if all the parts fit exactly it is still not for the faint of heart. Should have expected some of it, given the shape of the PBY, but, ignorance is bliss

The good part is I know it'll be a great flying plane when done.

charlie
Nov 09, 2005, 09:34 AM
And, the color scheme for both of these will be the firebomber from the guys up in WA. Like the one that was in the movie. White, red visibility pattern and some black for the sun shield area.

Light is why I wanted this one. Main reason for it was becasue I wanted a flying boat for landing on longish grass around here. Got tired of snagging LG I will fit plug in LG for days when I have to fly off of a runway.

charlie