Oct 21, 2005, 06:14 PM
Thread OP

UGHHHH! Why do people demonstrate how to be careless with an R/C heli???!!!

(steps up on pedestal)

I am so tired of seeing these R/C heli videos where the pilot gets the heli hovering at eye level and then suddenly reaches up and grabs the skids. Meanwhile the main rotor is at decapitation speeds and scary close to the pilots head! Not to mention the tail rotor which is right near the face and body too and is spinning at flesh damaging speeds! Then the pilot releases the heli with a little nudge and goes on flying it, almost as if they had not just literally risked their life!

FIRST problem-while keeping their hand on the skids one of the sticks has NO hand controlling it!

SECOND problem-Even worse what if there is a glitch at that moment the pilot reaches for the skids? Yuck it would be a mess.

THIRD problem-Worst of all beginners will see this junk and think it is a neat trick! NO WAY!

Ok I am off my pedestal now, just had to get that off my chest.
Last edited by docprego; Oct 21, 2005 at 06:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2005, 06:59 PM
Suspended Account
Drunk drivers is a thing that gets me! , is the same i guess! human trait my friend "when good times go bad" they even made a show about it .
Oct 21, 2005, 07:06 PM
Thread OP
But heli pilots are not compromised, they know exactly the stupid things they are trying intentionally to do.
Oct 21, 2005, 07:10 PM
How about flying an rc heli drunk and grabbing skids...Thats an accident waiting to happen...lol
Oct 21, 2005, 07:12 PM
That'll hold until ...
I agree I don't like it either.

Mainly because it looks stupid. I don't want people to hear I fly helis and assume I do that.

In reality it isn't as bad as it looks. They aren't a la machine. I've been hit by mine a few times (stupidity and lack of experience) and it only stings. No meat goes flying, no blood. Unless you are making blades from venitian blinds or using ginsu blades .

Still not the image we need.
Oct 21, 2005, 07:13 PM
Suspended Account
Compromised!( that is debatable ),Thats the problem,lack of brain cells and thought of consequence is a good start.
Peolple i have found think they can do stuff but when they try it for real they realise how stupid they have been and then usually brush it off with some comment that makes them appear to be a certain way but in reality they are only trying not to look as stupid as they feel.
I think we as a race we have more balls than we have brains.(i,m moving on to the next planet when the first shuttle is ready for boarding )
Oct 21, 2005, 08:40 PM
Sink stinks
Well I had to grab my FP heli out of the air indoors the other day because one of the landing skids fell off in flight-- not the kind of thing I do for fun and I only did it because I was very confident of the heli's stability. Also the fairly low headspeed makes it less dangerous.

And then I was trying to fly it outside and found out the hard way that the gyro doesn't tolerate pirouettes to the left. Now I have a lovely-looking wreckage on my hands.

It's not just this aerial touch-and-go trick that's foolish and dangerous; helicopters must be flown in a very controlled setting to be safe. I guess people just insist on learning this the hard way (hopefully they don't injure any bystanders in the process).
Oct 21, 2005, 08:42 PM
Thread OP
Well at least you would think a heli pilot is not compromised if they are flying but with some people you just never know.
Oct 21, 2005, 08:54 PM
Suspended Account
being drunk and try to catch the heli is VERY dangerous! i can just see it now!

drunk heli pilot: hey i wonder if i could catch a rotor blade?
retarded sober guy: go for it!!
Oct 21, 2005, 09:08 PM
Seemed like a good idea!
I agree completely with these comments!

To add to this, I've seen video's of a guy that's great at controlling his planes, but a very poor pilot! I make that destinction because being able to fly and do tricks with an aircraft, and being able to responsibly and safely control it are two completely different things.

This guy flies his award winning large scale bi-planes out in the desert somewhere (probably because nobody will allow him at their sites) and has his buddies grab the tail while he has it hovering inches off the ground, or crawls under the plane while the engine is running! I guess these guys think that props never explode.

They would never dream of holding a running weed-wacker 2 inches from their face, but they'll put themselves, and worse...OTHERS in danger, all for kicks.

It makes me absolutely disgusted when I see these things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swatson144
In reality it isn't as bad as it looks.
Uh, yeah it is. Grabbing the wrong part of the heli and having your finger touch the main gear teeth is not pleasant. Stock wooden blades can break a finger. Plastic blades can cut and carbon-fibre blades will leave stitch-requiring openings in places you wish it wouldn't!

There's enough people in these forums that have posted pictures of their "gotchas".

Everyone please fly safely.
Sasha Halpern
Oct 21, 2005, 09:43 PM
Thread OP
For those who say it isn't as bad as it looks; this is not done only with fixed pitch micros whose head speed is relatively lower (though these can inflict plenty of damage anyway). I have seen video of guys doing this with a CP machine with a relatively high head speed and very INFLEXIBLE blades. I have no doubt that if a blade caught someone just right on the neck it could lacerate an artery or vein and cause substantial, possibly unstoppable blood loss! This is a serious (read life threatening) situation!
Oct 21, 2005, 10:00 PM
i have been hit with my fp heli almost full bore..(pilot error while learning) and it hurt and left a little mark..simiar to paintball if any of you have played. but a cp could be real bad.. I once had some esc probs on my HB elite cp and smacked my hand but it only just started spinning and it hurt and left a good bumb!
Oct 21, 2005, 10:02 PM
That'll hold until ...
Ooch a bit out of context beemer.

I've been hit by my CF blades on my H2 @28k it was unpleasant, no stiches were required. I also know a guy that prides himself on never looking before crossing the road..I haven't heard from him in a while, I wonder how he's doing.

Fact is I disagree completely with the hand catching / release crap, Strongly recommend against getting hit by any blades, running through the house with scissors, or putting any body parts in a lamp socket.

You are I believe 50, I'm 45 we both likely realize that pain sucks and should be avoided by not intionanaly doing stupid stuff (enough stupid stuff sneaks in under the radar).

Oh and for the bullet proof teenagers if you screw it up you'll likely need parts. If you do get a E room bill unlikely that the family will have any empathy.
Last edited by swatson144; Oct 21, 2005 at 10:09 PM.
Oct 21, 2005, 10:10 PM
where are these videos, i would like to check it out! thanks....john. ps iam old enough to know better, trust me. take care
Oct 21, 2005, 10:14 PM
That'll hold until ...
John you being from the left coast I don't think it would be resposible for me to point you towards deetee and the hb2 vids .

Quick Reply