small ducted fan free flight - RC Groups
Oct 21, 2005, 06:23 PM

small ducted fan free flight

I saw a item on a thread yesterday (thurs) about small electric ducted fan, foam models of the F-86. And the Mig-15 was mentioned. I have searched until I was cross-eyed, to no avail. Does anyone remember the manufacturer? I thought it was said that they were discontinued. I saw one on the shelf at my local hobby shop, and walked on by. Of course, I went back to-day, and it was gone. Looked like it would make an interesting "school gym" flyer-mini 2 ch. Any help? Thanx
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2005, 06:32 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Fan-tastic Models makes them, and Wattage makes them as well...
Oct 21, 2005, 06:38 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
http://www.fan-tasticmodels.com/

These aren't freeflight though. And yes, they make nice gym fliers! There's even a video on the web site of that.

There's a review of the F-86 here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4039
Oct 22, 2005, 04:22 PM
Indeed, the F-86 does look very interesting. After reviewing the build article, Looks like fun. However, that was not the model I am seeking. Mebbe I am barking up the wrong tree, for if the plane is as small as the box indicated, it might be too small to fly r/c, but mebbe 'bit car' type control. Thanks, men.
Oct 22, 2005, 05:22 PM
Hey,

this project sounds good to me

I've gathered some things to get you started:
- MiG-15 Plan . Here you can download several pages for a balsa MiG-15 freeflight model including plans for a rubber band propelled ducted fan.
- MiG-15 Paper model. You might want to go for this model. I don't know what size you're aiming for, but this model could be easily done using two or one millimeter depron. I think you want to go for this one, using the EDF from the previous link.

If you wish to have a plan for another EDF, PM me. It's an easy to make EDF with ~19 millimeter diameter. Use a six millimeter pager. Of course there is a lot to experiment with.

What are you actually going to use? Have you got any specs (weights) on that? I assume you'll use motor/rudder control?

I hope I've served you well

Regards,
Dave
Oct 23, 2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the input- you know, I'm an old r/c 'er- but it has been 35 yrs! . Foam is easy to work with, been a stick and tissue guy forever.Boy, things have changed! I like the bit-car ideas,(trying to get a grasp on the tech side), for really small models. rudder and power, mebbe super small 3 ch. I see alot of neat stuff out there, and, after all, it IS building season(I live in Mich.).
Oct 23, 2005, 07:27 PM
Yeah, that paper Mig looks good. Still learning about small ducted fans, pager motors, actuators, li-po's, etc. Thanks for your help, Dave