May 19, 2002, 01:11 PM
MAAC 6251
Thread OP

Why no power supply allowed for Schulze ISL 6 charger?

I just got a new Schulze ISL 6 chameleon charger. The instructions state quite clearly to only use a 12V car battery as the power source. They also say not to use a DC power supply. They warn that a power supply may damage the charger.
How come?
Rob Zinck.
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2002, 01:43 PM
They don't trust most people's ability to tell the difference between a well regulated power supply and other things that claim to put out 12V such as car battery chargers.

Many people have used schulze chargers with good regulated power supplies.
May 19, 2002, 03:18 PM
RC Fanatic
Many regulated power supplies can be found to run your charger.
May 19, 2002, 03:56 PM
BEC
BEC
I happily use both the isl 6-330d and the isl 6-636+ on a 17A power supply that Aveox used to sell. Interestingly, Schulze also sell (or used to) a big switching power supply.

I have questioned them on this and they're worried about poorly regulated linear power supplies.
May 19, 2002, 03:59 PM
Official Old Git!
Just marketing protection by Schulze!

My ISL-6330D works absolutely fine on my 30amp power supply! Go for it!
May 19, 2002, 04:15 PM
MAAC 6251
Thread OP
Thanks guys. Those are the answers I had hoped to hear.
Rob.
May 19, 2002, 06:14 PM
Long-Time Member
I've had a isl6-636+ for a number of years and recently bought an isl6-330d. Both work just fine at an indented 13.2-volt setting on my variable rate power supply. Whatever it's hooked up to, never exceed 13.2 volts, and never vary the voltage while a charger is attached. The Schulze warning is primarily a disclaimer, as these charges are specifically designed for use hooked up to a 12-volt battery.

In the new instruction manual to my isl6-330d (and this isn't in the manual to my older isl6-636+) there is a section on "Operation from a 22/25A Power Source." Translated, it says "in principle, the operation from a stablized power source is possible...[but] not to be recommended. This can lead to eventual damage or destruction of the power source [and/or] charger."

Reading a bit further it notes that the chargingof 8 cells or more is possible from socket #1 provided the connection doesn't exceed 22 amps and approximately 190 watts. There is no mention or discharging. These figures are based on the isl6-530d.

I know other very experienced modelers who use their chargers connected to a stablized power supply and they have no problem. Nonetheless, if your charger does experience a problem when hooked up to such a power source, you're on you own and no dealer or manucturer will fix it under warranty. I also suspect any damaged caused by such a source can leave a telltale sign — damage possibly unlike when hooked up to a 12-volt battery — discernable only to a trained repairman . So if a charger is damaged this way and you tell the repairman (in this case Matthias Schulze) it happened when hooked up to a car battery, he probably won't be fooled.

So, although so many of us do it, please use at your own risk.
Last edited by James Frolik; May 19, 2002 at 06:18 PM.
May 19, 2002, 06:52 PM
I have a 636 and I use a PC 12 V 12 amps power suply without
any problem. Of course u dont use it to charge 16 cells at 8 amps.
Use the manual charge if u charge large cell count. I find it
useful up to 10 cells.
May 19, 2002, 07:29 PM

Dumb Question

One of the features that the Schulze units have is that during the discharge cycle, the voltage is directed right back into the power source. Now if it were a 12v battery, I can see how the return voltage would be accepted. How about when it's hooked up to a ac/dc power supply......where would that discharge voltage go? Jim
May 19, 2002, 07:37 PM
James- Why 13.2V? What makes that the magic number?
May 19, 2002, 07:52 PM

Good question Jim

When discharging 15 cell packs and higher, the isl8-936 can make use of the 12v source battery to achieve discharge rates of 8-10A which is a very nice feature when handling high cell count packs.

You have a setting on the isl8-936, where you indicate either battery or how many watts your power supply is capable of.
(you need > 300watt when utilising the charger fully - if you indicate that you powersupply isn't up to it - it will reduce the max current.... many thoughts went into that charger).

/Claus T
May 20, 2002, 05:47 AM
Supersonic Engineering

Re: Dumb Question

Quote:
Originally posted by zebra
One of the features that the Schulze units have is that during the discharge cycle, the voltage is directed right back into the power source. Now if it were a 12v battery, I can see how the return voltage would be accepted. How about when it's hooked up to a ac/dc power supply......where would that discharge voltage go? Jim
The ONLY Schulze charger with this feature is the top-end 8-936. On this model, this feature can also be turned off in software if you are operating the charger from a power supply.

There are NO issues with operating ANY of their other models from a well-regulated and smoothed supply.

Gordon
May 20, 2002, 06:01 AM
Just checked on my Schulze isl8-936g - it accepts up to 15.3V before you get an error message. Jürgen
May 20, 2002, 08:48 AM

Re: Re: Dumb Question

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GordonTarling
[B]

The ONLY Schulze charger with this feature is the top-end 8-936.
__________________________________________________ _

Well, looks like a review I read in a reputable magazine was incorrect. The model reviewed was the isl 6-330d.

Thanks for the info. Now I won't worry at all about it when I buy that charger.
Last edited by zebra; May 20, 2002 at 08:54 AM.
May 21, 2002, 08:01 AM
Supersonic Engineering

Re: Re: Re: Dumb Question

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zebra

Well, looks like a review I read in a reputable magazine was incorrect. The model reviewed was the isl 6-330d.

Yep - that reviewer got it wrong - never believe ALL you read in magazines.

Gordon

Quick Reply