Oct 18, 2005, 03:00 PM
Brett
Thread OP

Scary, scary story

[lurk mode off]

So, I'm flying my Extreme 2m at my local spot Saturday. It's a decent day, and I'm doing DS circles at probably 120-130mph, which is not too bad for this particular place. The wind tapers off a bit, and I punch out to the front side for a bit of a breather.

As I soar out over the bowl, I hear "beeeeeeeeeeeep." It's my transmitter (a 5 year old Futaba 8UAFS). Now, it's been periodically mading this single long beep for the past couple years. I had always assumed it was the timer countdown function, which maybe I had accidently started somehow. I later learned that the radio makes the exact same "beeeeeep" if you pull out the RF module while the radio is turned on (uh oh).

Well, like I said, I've heard the beep before and never associated it with any problems, since it's sometimes happened while I was flying. This time was different. As soon as the beep ended, I realized I had no control. The plane was flying straight and level, away from the slope. There was no glitching or twitching, which is odd because I don't have PCM, so there's no fail safe. But no amount of banging the stick around make one little bit of difference. It was cruising off toward the horizon. The feeling of helplessness was pretty intense.

At this point, I pretty much wrote the plane off. Now I was worried about it flying over and possibly crashing into the neighborhood below the hill. With nothing to lose, I decided to try a desperate act. I turned off the transmitter. I waited about two seconds. The plane continued flying as if on autopilot. I turned the transmitter back on. Suddenly, the Extreme violently waggled it's wings like a wet dog shaking off water....and I had control back! I ran to the LZ as fast as I could and made a safe landing. Yikes!

Well, needless to say, the radio is going into Futaba for servicing. I hope they can reproduce and find the problem. I had heard of some 8U's suffering from bad solder joints on the pins where the RF module plugs in, and now I'm wondering if that finally got me.

Anyway, I guess I won't be flying for a couple weeks at least, as it's my only radio. But when I think of what could have happened, I'm definitely not complaining!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2005, 03:03 PM
All work and no play
Luck was on your side that day.
Oct 18, 2005, 03:15 PM
It could happen...
That is scary. Glad things turned out OK for you.

Musta scared you...to bring you back to the boards...yup, scared you...
Oct 18, 2005, 03:18 PM
Bill Scott

problem

heard of a similar problem a few years ago with an MC20 module. Turned out to be corrosion on the pins causing intermittent contact.
The 8Us had a common problem with the long pins that the freq. module plugs into. Those pins could crack loose from the PWB giving intermittent contact. You can remove the back cover and check to see if any are loose. The fix was to apply a glob of epoxy over the area where the pins solder to the board to give it a bit of extra support. Of course make sure none of the solder joints are cracked before applying the epoxy.

TFLG

100th

,Ha ha, better lucky than good. I know of this first hand. Scares the out of you don't it?

Roy

<------100th post...do i get a prize?
Last edited by ortoyegon; Oct 18, 2005 at 03:21 PM. Reason: 100 posts
Oct 18, 2005, 03:21 PM
No fuse too fat
Brett!! Good to hear from you! Scary story alright. Glad you were able to get your plane down safely.

Don't be a stranger!
Russ.
Oct 18, 2005, 03:38 PM
iWeasel
You forgot to turn lurk mode back on!
Code:
use: [/lurk mode off]
Oct 18, 2005, 03:45 PM
Brett
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLift
That is scary. Glad things turned out OK for you.

Musta scared you...to bring you back to the boards...yup, scared you...
Well, I figure it is close to Halloween anyway.
Oct 18, 2005, 03:48 PM
Registered Abuser
Same thing happened with a flying buddie, he already new about the problem, and the trick of turning the transmitter off an on again, but this happened on takeoff.......

Glad that you got your model back in one piece.
Oct 18, 2005, 03:54 PM
somewhere in South America
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaffee
I guess I won't be flying for a couple weeks at least, as it's my only radio
That's really inexcusable... : )
I work with computers every day, and I'm not about to commit my entire RC life to a single consumer electronics device. You know how they always say to always back up your data? Yadayadayada...
But because slope'n is very important to me, I do have back-up in form of two transmitters set up identically. And I keep both of them up-to-date and meticulously maintained.
I can't imagine myself driving hours or days to a slope meet with a truck full of planes only to have my TX crap out...
Seriously, consider getting a back-up transmitter.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
Oct 18, 2005, 04:05 PM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Brett, good job on the quick thinking. No matter how bad things get, I never give up till the plane is on the ground. Panicking does no good, and you showed good presence of mind under what was surely pretty heavy pressure. I see too many planes lost because the pilot freaks out, freezes up, and watches his/her pride & joy go spiralling into the earth... when a second of quick thinking and then some fast action could've saved the day. Good job!!

Steve
Oct 18, 2005, 04:16 PM
Brett
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooesboy
Same thing happened with a flying buddie, he already new about the problem, and the trick of turning the transmitter off an on again, but this happened on takeoff.......

Glad that you got your model back in one piece.
I really don't understand why turning it off and on worked.
Oct 18, 2005, 04:17 PM
Robots... robots everywhere
good thing it didn't go out a few seconds earlier, like on the up side of your ds loop...
Oct 18, 2005, 04:20 PM
o man it sounds like its time for another RX.

nick

Quick Reply