Oct 27, 2005, 08:27 PM
Thread OP

Assembling the Big Pieces

The top wing was jigged up using 3/32 shims under the root end to compensate for the thickness of the "petrol" tank, and foam blocks at the tips. 5 minute epoxy was used to join the panels so that there would be sufficient time to get the alignment right. A straight edge was used to insure the proper sweep on both sides, and lead weights were set on top of both tips to hold things in place till the epoxy cured.
Last edited by P. Tritle; Oct 27, 2005 at 08:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2005, 08:35 PM
Thread OP

Airframe Assembly

The bottom wing was glued in place, followed by the vertical and horizontal stabilizers. The top wing was aligned and tack glued at the cabanes. The interplane struts were added next, followed by a drop of 5 minute epoxy to secure the cabanes to the gas tank. The horizontal stab struts were added next, followed by the control horns and pushrods. The main gear was glued in place and lashed to the beams with kevlar thread.
Last edited by P. Tritle; Oct 27, 2005 at 08:44 PM.
Oct 27, 2005, 08:41 PM
Thread OP

Rigging the Wings

The scale wing rigging was added using kevlar thread. As it turns out, the wings were rigged using only 1 piece of thread per side, routed from the fuselage side, out to the interplanes, back to the cabanes, and finally back into the fuselage side -- quick and easy.
The "spears" were made from styrene tubing and glued in place with Pacer Canopy Glue.
And that just about wraps things up until the plastic test shots come back. The last of the mold masters went out today, so should have something back in a week or two.
PAT
Oct 27, 2005, 09:10 PM
Just incredible work Pat! Another must have!!!!! I sure wish Dumas went as fast as you do.

Bill
Oct 29, 2005, 08:42 AM
I concur. Absolutely marvelous work! One that truly inspires. The black and white scheme is even more striking than you described. Thanks for sharing.

Monty
Oct 29, 2005, 03:45 PM
Thread OP
Bil and Monty, Thanks much for the kind words, I truely appreciate it. I agree, you really would have to go some to find a better color scheme. I liked this one the first time I saw it!
PAT
Oct 30, 2005, 01:23 PM
Pat, very nice build, I love the landing gear setup. I just finished a GWS tigermoth, and it just doesn't quite compare. Very cool.
Jason
Oct 31, 2005, 02:31 PM
Light and floaty does it
So simple, so light, so elegant. What is the all-up weight ready to fly with the IPS? I will be surprised if it does not fly on the IPS, in a scale-like way. Especially if you go to 3s LiPo, and gear down to keep it at 2 amps.
Oct 31, 2005, 02:34 PM
MotionRC Europe
Is/will this be aviable as a kit?
Oct 31, 2005, 10:45 PM
Thread OP
WiP, I'm not sure what the AUW will be yet, but as it sits I'm starting to feel real good about the IPS set-up. For the Guys looking for a bit of "non-scale punch" the Fiago will be the perfect transplant -- 280 power at IPS weight! I'l be doing the test flying with a 2 cell 700 Lipo, using 3 cells really beats up those delicate little motors, even if you can keep the current draw down.
Stuart, This one will be kitted by Dumas. They're doing the test shots on the plastic parts even as we speak, ans as soon as I get the parts to finish the model we'll get the flying part done so kit developement can get underway.
PAT
Nov 01, 2005, 02:31 PM
Great work Pat! What a great thing for Dumas to have you designing for them. This line of larger light weight models should really augment their lineup. I hope there are enough "real builders" around that will buy, build, and fly these kits, so they keep expanding their line of Tritle-designed r/c planes. I'm afraid I haven't done my part yet, but fully intend to build some of them as soon as some other projects are finished up.

AmpAce
Nov 10, 2005, 09:58 AM
Thread OP

Fitting the Cowl

Got the cowl yesterday so got it assembled and the seam puttied. will get the prime and paint on and try to finish it up. If all goes well will fly Saturday.

The cowl halves were cut out and joined using a strip of .010 X 1/4" styrene on the inside to reinforce the seam. The outside seem was then filled with squodron green putty and sanded. The second application went on just before "quitting time" yesterday, so will finish up this morning.
PAT
Nov 10, 2005, 10:25 AM
Neophyte hacker
Amp

Don't worry, if Dumas doesn't choose to kit them, we will do it ourselves.

charlie
Nov 10, 2005, 01:45 PM
Thanks Charlie, I may have to try this one, probably hack in some ailerons though. My first R/C plane was a GWS Tiger Moth, which was a great flyer until it became too warped and heavy with glue. Even though it flew great on 3 cahnnels, it's always more fun to be able to try maneuvers that need ailerons.

AmpAce
Nov 10, 2005, 11:08 PM
Thread OP

"To Kit or Not To Kit"

Not to worry, Dumas is definately going to kit this one. In fact, the TM is one they insisted on doing --not that it took a whole lot of insisting to get me to do it!!! One of the absolutely BEST flying models I've EVER flown was a 1/4 scale Duncan Hudson Tiger Moth. It weighed 14 lb and was powered with an OS 1.2 four stroke. It was so smooth it literally flowed through the air. I have no reason to think this one will be any different!

Anyhow, the model is RTF. Ended up tipping the scales at 8.6 oz -- that puts the wing loading just under 4 oz/sq ft. and at that weight the little IPS should haul it around just fine.

At this point, she's set up and CG'd with a Kokum 700 2 cell, but if it turns out tail heavy there's room for the 1320 T-Power. The battery is attached to a tray on the back side of the firewall and is accessed through a removeable plastic hatch.

Plan to fly tomorrow or Saturday, depending on the weather conditions. Will post up the in flight shots as soon as we get them.
PAT

Quick Reply