Apr 17, 2008, 05:26 AM
It is extremely easy to fly for a beginner, as long as you wait until it is dead calm outside. These weigh in at leass then 10 oz's and while they can handle quite a bit of wind there is no greater pleasure (with your pants on) then cruising along at dusk about 6" off the ground. With even a small amount of heli experience you should have no problems flying the Tigermoth. GO for it!!!

Bosley
to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2008, 05:39 AM
bosley - sweet, thanks for the feedback

McF
Apr 17, 2008, 07:00 AM
Thread OP
McF, If you can fly a heli you shouldn't have a problem with the Tiggie. The thing about the Moth is that everything happens in slow motion. The best bet though is to have someone fly it who's experienced with these slow lightweights and hand it off to you so that if you do get a little bumfoozled they can take it back and give you time to regroup. Otherwise, I'd say go for it.

PAT
Jun 04, 2008, 04:42 PM

Tiger Moth with Super Cub gear - fly or die?

Hi all,

I have been flying the Hobbyzone Super Cub for three months now and it's time to move on. I would hate for the gear to go to waste, and I am hoping that I could use it on this beautiful Tiger Moth kit. Is this possible?

Here is a link to some Super Cub specs for those who are not familiar with the model:

http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc_planes_h..._super_cub.htm

Much appreciated...
Jun 04, 2008, 05:49 PM
It flew once before...
IlanG

First and foremost welcome to RC Groups .

The link you posted really did not give much info on the gear . I think a 480 may be a bit much for the light structure as well as the heavy NIMH battery . Speed 280s can be had for pretty cheap ( as well as decent equivelent brushless these days ) Are there micro servos and ESC that can be re-used ? I wouldn't say they can't be used , but I haven't seen the internal gear of Hobbyzone planes other than on the Aerobird series .

Trouble is if you go with new gear you may be looking at a new TX also whereas Parkzone uses different frequencies than say Futaba , Hi-Tec ...Though many of these can be had for decent money on Ebay these days with the Spektrum craze .

Just some things to consider ...

-John
Jun 08, 2008, 05:53 AM
Thanks for that John. I really want a model for the specific gear I have. I found the Bristol Scout short kit by AerodromeRC. Ond day I will get the TM...
Jun 08, 2008, 07:32 AM
It flew once before...
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlanG
Thanks for that John. I really want a model for the specific gear I have. I found the Bristol Scout short kit by AerodromeRC. Ond day I will get the TM...
Great Choice
I have the Bristol Scout from Aerodrome and Peters IPS version from Manzano Lazer

Do share your build when it is done

-John
Aug 16, 2008, 06:13 AM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
Well, "Shrubwacker" maidened his Waco, so that shamed me into pulling the TM off the shelf where it had been sitting since Feb 1 and try to get it in the air. This directly followed a rather harrowing maiden of my HL Supercub, and was equally harrowing.

The first problem was that when I went to plug it in, I found there was nothing to plug into. I had stolen the motor and ESC from another model, and put a busted engine and prop on the plane, which curiously I had been looking all over for because I had needed a part from that motor. Anyway, I borrowed another motor and esc from one of the fleet and got it fired up. This time I made sure the controls worked in the right directions, instead of just moving the surfaces. I found the plans and set the CG and headed to the field.

Because of the long grass I decided to hand launch. Whooo. Way too much motor and prop and it blasted off up, up and twisting . If I hadn't spent the entire summer flying the HL Yak it would have been a goner for sure, but I have learned to slow things down and not panic quite like I used to and I got it sort of under control. I had rudder trim all the way to one side, and full down elevator trim and it still wanted to stall and porpoise but I managed to land it and re-adjust the controls. The CG was too far aft so I moved the battery full forward and launched again. The launch was a little wild, but the flight much better, but I still needed some down elevator.

It was getting dark, but I got my son to take a few pictures and called it an evening.

The Blue Wonder is really more motor than it needs, and the launch is a bit wild until I get used to giving it less throttle.

Overall it is a calm little plane, and of course I can really slow it down and glide around the field. I guess the Waco is next up, once I get a motor to replace the one I stole for the Moth.
Aug 16, 2008, 07:00 AM
It flew once before...
Joe ,

Good to see you are still at it . We haven't heard from you in a while

The Tiggie looks great ! Glad you got it sorted out . Just curious if you are using the Blue Wonder on 2s or 3s ? The 2s should be more than enough and probably only 1/2 throttle at best .

Looks great . Glad you finally got to fly it , and looking forward to your Waco maiden . I found Glenns to fly very nicely on 2s with the 400XT from Hobby Lobby . Sometime I'll have to bring mine along to fly formation with Glenns

-John
Last edited by jofrost; Aug 16, 2008 at 07:09 AM.
Aug 16, 2008, 09:32 AM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
Yeah, I've been Yakking all summer. It has been good to develop my skills.

I have the Blue Wonder on a 3S. I am sure 2S would be fine, but I have kind of standardized on 3S. I just need to remember not to give it much throttle, especially with the hand launch.

I've been watching Glenn's Waco thread waiting for that maiden, and it kind of spurred me into action. Those first flights can be hairly.

I still have my little Heath, Mitchell wing, Waco and SA Shaft to go. Shaft will probably be next.
Aug 16, 2008, 09:49 AM
It flew once before...
Joe ,

Nothing wrong with having only 3s packs . When I maidened my P40 I didn't need full throttle to launch or fly it . It took off rather well at 3/4 throttle and flew at around 1/2 very nicely .

You just have to get a "feel" like if you let it go it would almost go by itself , and just guide it with a nice smooth toss . I flew my Aeronca with 3s the first time out , but have since gone down to a 2s and even then only requires 1/2 power at best .

Sometimes doing scalelike ROGs can be tough till you get a feel for the particular plane , and is why sometimes I gun them a bit fast especially in the grass where the small wheels can easily get hung up causing a spin and cartwheel A lot depends on wing loading . The lighter loading allows them to "float" up nicely whereas others with a little heavier loading need more power and guidance . My Herr Cub takes off nicely but requires more juice to get her going ( and airspeed ) due to the heavier wing loading , and I don't have a smooth runway either

-John
Feb 24, 2010, 01:16 PM
Check your six

Tm

Just bought a kit and I'm glad I did! Everyone here says she's a winner. Not only that, I love to build. Sad that kits are getting harder to find. anyway, can't wait to get started on her. Marty
Apr 09, 2014, 05:50 PM
Suspended Account
Pat, or anyone, is dihedral measured or set 1 inch and 1 1/16 inch, bottom and top, respectively, from the bottom of the airfoil or the top? Thanks
Apr 09, 2014, 06:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift
Pat, or anyone, is dihedral measured or set 1 inch and 1 1/16 inch, bottom and top, respectively, from the bottom of the airfoil or the top? Thanks
Johnathan, The deihedral is measured from the bottom of the airfoil. If you make foam blocks the proper thickness they can be placed under the outboard rib in their respective locations and you'll come out right on the money.

PAT
Apr 09, 2014, 06:55 PM
Suspended Account
Thanks!

Quick Reply