Oct 18, 2005, 08:08 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Tiger Moth for Geared 280

After getting caught up on some other "stuff", the plans for the 35" Tiger Moth are finally far enough along to start the build- so off we go!

The original idea was to work it up for IPS, but it looks like it's just too much airplane for an IPS to drag around. Besides, at 360 sq. in. even if it comes up to 12 oz. the wing loading will still fall in at less then 5 oz. / sq. ft.

The top wing begins at the center section (gas tank -- or should I say Petrol tank). Anyhow, it's sheeted top and bottom and will support the wire cabanes later.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2005, 08:16 AM
Thread OP

The Outer Panels

The outer panels are built using the laser cut spar, 1/16 sq. balsa rib bottoms and laser cut tops. The tips are bowed from 2 laminations of 1/16 X 1/8 balsa.
The wings will be joind to the center section with gussetts in the center section, but not untill after the outer panels are covered - covering will be MUCH easier that way.
Oct 18, 2005, 08:21 AM
Thread OP

The Tail Feathers

The "tail feathers" are framed from 1/16 X 1/8 and 1/16 sq, balsa. The outlines are laminated from 2 layers of 1.16 X 1/8 balsa. All pretty straight forward stuff. The hinges are 1/8" wide bits cut from light duty Cya hinge material.
Oct 18, 2005, 08:25 AM
Thread OP

Framing the Fuselage

The fuselage is a simple box structure with formers and stringers on top to round out the turtle deck. The cowl and spinner molds are all made, and are off to the vac-former. Should be back by the time it's ready to cover.
Meanwhile, framing the bottom wing is next.
PAT
Oct 18, 2005, 08:26 AM
Balsa Abuser
Looking very nice indeed
Oct 18, 2005, 02:46 PM
North East England
Looking good! There's something about a built-up wood model that you just can't beat. Look forward to seing more..

steve
Oct 18, 2005, 03:05 PM
designer/builder
Sweet!

I like the center section joining method. Why didn't I think of that?

Rob
Oct 18, 2005, 04:30 PM
It's about time Pat. I think there's a big demand for a balsa Tigermoth, even though the GWS TM is a hit there's still lots of people looking for a balsa kit that's more scale. I don't know for some reason "if it's balsa it must be good" or maybe a quote from Kenny Rogers Roasters "It's the wood that makes it good!"

I'm sure this would be a hit... Can't wait to have the kit. :drool: :drool:
Oct 18, 2005, 06:07 PM
Pat,

Wow, very very interested in this (even compared to all your other ones I'm interested in!). How will this be released for sale? I wish there was a 'Pat Trittle Designs Depot' down here in Miami.

-James.
Oct 18, 2005, 07:36 PM
Neophyte hacker
There is, just look up the Dumas, Dare, and Pat's Custom Models catalogs!

Anything that isn't in there is at my website (right now, only the little Ultimate, the rest are waiting publication).

charlie
Oct 18, 2005, 09:01 PM
Thread OP

The Bottom Wing

The bottom wing builds pretty much like the top except that the bottom is framed in one piece. Once the C-section and both panels were framed and shpaped, the whole thing was joined and finisg sanded.
Oct 18, 2005, 09:07 PM
Thread OP

Making the Wire Cabane Struts

One of my favorite parts of a project like this is bending and soldering the wire parts. The cabanes were bent from .046 wire and soldered together over the patterns. Once the struts were together, the holes were drilled in the mount beams. Finally, the struts were "tweeked" to hold the C-section in place. The only thing left now is to add the balsa fairings.
Oct 18, 2005, 09:10 PM
Thread OP

Building the Landing Gear

The main gear strut was bent from 1/16 wire, with all the supporting struts bent using .046. The assembly was soldered up on the fuselage, then removed and the fairings added.
Oct 18, 2005, 09:15 PM
Thread OP

Framing is Basically Done

With all the sub-assemblies complete it's time for the first "dry run" -- also one of my favorite parts of the project. The interplane struts were cut from 1/8 medium balsa and shaped, and much to my surprize, they actually fit In theory they should, of course, but reality doesn't always agree!
Anyhow, tomorrow the radio stuff and running gear will go in and hopefully have things pretty much ready to cover.
PAT
Oct 18, 2005, 09:40 PM
It' s lookin good Patrick !

Quick Reply