Oct 14, 2005, 08:29 AM
Thread OP

epoxy paint for fiberglass gel coat

I am in the process of making a mold for a ducting that I would like to easily reproduce using fiberglass. I would use the lost foam method, but since I want to reproduce it this is out of the question. I read a post that said that Epoxy paint is better for this rather than using gel coat.

What type of epoxy paint do I use?? Is this available from the local HW stores like loews, Home depot?? I will be using a Balsa plug that has been sanded and prepped for the paint. or should I just use wax? and if so where can I pick this up locally rather than having to order it??

any suggestions would be great
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2005, 04:56 PM
DLD
DLD
David Layne
What type of finish do you want the part to have? If the finish does not need to be REALLY smooth, you can wet sand the primer, wax it and it will do fine. If you want the REALLY smooth finish, use epoxy paint, well cured, then wet sand to the finish you desire. Usually 600 grit will do, but you can go much finer if you need or want to. One thing good to remember about fiberglass molding is that the smoother th finish on the mold, the easier the part comes out. This also save the mold, so if you are going to produce any quantity of parts, the smoother the better. The spray can epoxy available at HD, etc., will work, just not quite as well as two part. For plug painting, it should be fine.

Good luck,

David Layne
Oct 14, 2005, 05:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLD
What type of finish do you want the part to have? If the finish does not need to be REALLY smooth, you can wet sand the primer, wax it and it will do fine. If you want the REALLY smooth finish, use epoxy paint, well cured, then wet sand to the finish you desire. Usually 600 grit will do, but you can go much finer if you need or want to. One thing good to remember about fiberglass molding is that the smoother th finish on the mold, the easier the part comes out. This also save the mold, so if you are going to produce any quantity of parts, the smoother the better. The spray can epoxy available at HD, etc., will work, just not quite as well as two part. For plug painting, it should be fine.

Good luck,

David Layne
It is for a EDF ducting so smoothness is very important. Who would have the 2 part online??

Thanks
Oct 14, 2005, 08:11 PM
http://www.klasskote.com/
Oct 15, 2005, 02:31 PM
I'll second the use of klasskote. The stuff works great. It's what I use when painting in the mold for making fuselages and wings.
Oct 15, 2005, 03:53 PM
Thread OP
are there any suppliers that are national chain stores like Home depot, lowes or autoparts stores that would carry it??
Oct 30, 2005, 06:20 PM
Thread OP
anyone?? knowifits available at HomeDepot or Lowes or similar??
Oct 30, 2005, 08:01 PM
I get it from www.klasskote.com. It is a two-part epoxy paint. Home Despot and the like don't carry things like that.
Oct 31, 2005, 03:09 AM
Order it online, its made over there and well worth it.
Oct 31, 2005, 01:32 PM
I already have some west systems epoxy, but need to paint my model, do you guys have any suggestions to types of paint that work well on FG? i'm using 6oz layers, 2 of them, on sloper.

Quick Reply