Oct 12, 2005, 01:09 PM
Thread OP

One down in the fleet

Hello guys, still tweaking the piccolo after repairing it from my last ouch moment when I was trying to adjust the brushless tail and hit my wife's bird cage. I got it back up and running but the tail still can not get it to fine tune. So, solution one: bought myself a Hornet (flies great!). Solution two: I will buy another gyro, if that does not do it....I will have a nice Brushless paper weight. I have now pictures of my EP Heli fleet in my gallery.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2005, 01:27 PM
0 Carbon fp? don't breed!
Hey nice looking fleet, a heli for any occasion

So what's wrong with the Piccolo?

Eco Piccolo FP Pic+ board, Hornet MS-080 CF blades, Himaxx 2015 2800 rpm/v, Phoenix10 brushless ESC, 9T/96T. 3xTP1320 mAh (gen2 91g) 25+mins AUW ~298g (with Airwolf 311g)
Hornet X 3D Twister(Axi 2208/20, Tsunami), MS-116 ESC, MS-044 gyro, KOK Extréme white blades, 3xTP1320 prolites ~15mins, AUW=375g. Futaba7C
Oct 12, 2005, 01:49 PM
Thread OP

is the tail

the piccolo has a brushless tail and I am using a CSM HH gyro....I tried different props....4530, 3x2, and a Ikarus V2 stock (best so far, hard to believe). I can not get total control of the tail. If I turn up the gain, it wags. If I turn it down so that it does not wag...it jerks or I have very little control over it even if I use sub-trim. It pretty much does what it wants to just to mess with me. I have not been able to have a full flight with this heli since I went brushless/seperates....is a damm shame! I really hate to call it quits on something that should work. and yes, the gyro is oriented in the right direction. by the way Darkhorse, are you the one with that Hornet website?
Oct 12, 2005, 02:35 PM
0 Carbon fp? don't breed!
The CSM HH gyro on 3 cells is a known problem for micro's with electric tail motors. Something to do with the output curve response of the gyro not suiting ESC power delivery characteristics. Either use a high frequency tail ESC (like the TREC with programmable curves) or better still, change the gyro to a cheap simple standard rate gyro (not sure which gyro as I use a Pic+ board).

For more info, register on the old Ikarus BB and search for more examples (note that the search page options suck).

Personally I prefer to fly the Piccolo without a Heading Hold gyro, I like the way the tail weather veins in FF for relaxed flying about.

> that Hornet website?
Black pages and badly spelt white text. Yea that's the one , the site has sprouted in a few directions recently, one of which is an information dump and useful links for Hornets. Sometimes hobbies go too far .
Oct 12, 2005, 03:03 PM
Thread OP

don't sell yourself short

that website is great, I used the info there to put together the tail on the Hornet since the instruction where so vague. For the Piccolo, I will try another gyro and see. I just can't give up on this Heli. Today I had superb weather and I spend the day repairing and back to trying to figure out this tail when I have another 4 helis I could have been flying. It has to be that gyro, the tail just won't hold. So I have a heading holdless CSM Gyro.

Quick Reply