May 16, 2002, 07:42 AM
Mr Mootsie
Thread OP

USS Abraham Lincoln in Alaska picture

I think this looked pretty slick.
May 16, 2002, 07:52 AM
characters welcome!
, Mootsie.

They pulled in here at North Island just recently.
Even after 4 years living on one, watching a carrier slide by at close range still amazes me.

mw
May 16, 2002, 08:06 AM
Thanks Mootsie,
Those critters sure are overwhelming! Plus that is a beautiful background! Mountain operations training in Alaska, prepping for Afganistan??
May 16, 2002, 08:40 AM
Mr Mootsie
Thread OP
I used to drive down to the pier here at Norfolk during lunch just to look at these things. They really are IMMENSE.
May 16, 2002, 09:59 AM
Libertas in Infinitum
I remember getting to walk on one during an 'open house' week at Pearl. A very fond memory of me and my dad

logan5
May 16, 2002, 10:02 AM
MK
MK
Great photo! What's even more interesting is the carrier looks small compared to the mountains in the background, even though they are far away.
May 16, 2002, 10:35 AM
Wow it's been a long time since I've seen my old home.

Small it ain't I can attest to that! I remember when we used to have to cruise around off the SF coast waiting for low tide so the masts wouldn't strike the Golden Gate bridge. Man it was tough being able to see the shore but know that your not going to be able to set foot on land for anther day or so. Especially after a seven month tour.

We were the first nuclear carrier to pull into Pearl Harbor (guess they were afraid of unexploded munitions). We had what the Navy calls a Tiger cruise where you get to invite family members onboard for the cruise from Pearl to SF. I got to invite my dad and he said it was one of the most memorable times of his life.

ahh...the stories I could tell.
Dan
May 16, 2002, 11:33 AM
Motorless Wing Nut
My daughter was a PH2 (photographer) on the Lincoln. She has a pretty impressive collection of photos from her time on board.

dd.
May 16, 2002, 01:05 PM
characters welcome!
Quote:
Originally posted by MrMootsie
I used to drive down to the pier here at Norfolk during lunch just to look at these things. They really are IMMENSE.
We have Lincoln, Nimitz and Constellation all here right now. Talk about a traffic situation getting outta here at quitting time!
Quite a sight to have all three here at the same time, though.

mw
May 16, 2002, 01:26 PM
Actually Mark I was stationed with an E-2 squadron right up the road from you at Marimar. Used to go to La Jolla Cove to soak up the rays.

Dan

Quick Reply