Oct 11, 2005, 08:45 PM
Faster Faster!!
Thread OP

Shaping Warbird Spinners For What It's Worth.

Hi all,
This has probably been covered before and if it has I apologize, but I just thought I'd throw a tip out that might make it a bit easier for those of you shaping a spinner on a warbird. It's an easy way to do it and will take a lot of headache out of the process. First off, instead of trying to shape a spinner and the fuselage all in one piece. Cut the spinner off. Measure the diameter of what size spinner you'll need to mate up to the fuselage in a neat fashion. Take a compass and draw out that diameter on a piece of 1/4" plywood, and cut it out. Find the center on the disc that you've cut and mark it out. Now, take the spinner section that you've just cut off the fuselage, and sand all the hard corners off of it. This makes it much easier to spin. 3m77 the plywood disc and attach it to the back of the spinner section. Take a drill.. any drill, cordless or whatever and with about a 1/4" bit, drill it into the center mark of the plywood stopping about half way through the bit. You can mark the bit with a piece of tape if you'd like to make sure. Grab a sanding block and turn on the drill. Use the block much as you would on a lathe and sand the spinner to a true form. The whole process takes about 15 min. from cutting out the disc to sanding the spinner out. The spinners come out looking very true and it's oooh so easy to do. Much easier than trying to sand them by hand. When you're done. 3M77 it back on the fuse and get back to building. I've included a pic of how I've done it. I've just seen too many planes on the slope with spinners that look like grandpa hillbilly whittled it out on his back porch while sipping on the little brown jug.
Take care all!!

Bryan
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2005, 09:25 PM
Why 3m 77 and not goop or gorilla glue when attaching the spinner back to the fuse?
Oct 11, 2005, 09:30 PM
3M 77 is faster.

ian
Oct 11, 2005, 09:34 PM
Faster Faster!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Why 3m 77 and not goop or gorilla glue when attaching the spinner back to the fuse?
Goop or gorilla glue is definitely the way to go when attaching it back on to the fuselage for good. However I like to use 3m77 at first due to the fact that I usually end up hollowing out a section in the center of the spinner for lead to obtain the correct C.G. If I need lead up there, I can easily seperate it off and add it there. If not. I'll break it off and then permanently fix it with goop.

Bryan
Last edited by RCFlybry; Oct 11, 2005 at 09:39 PM.
Oct 11, 2005, 10:04 PM
Nucking Futs
Nice tip (no pun intended)

RJ
Oct 11, 2005, 10:44 PM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
TFLG did a thread on this same subject a couple years ago, it's a good idea and makes for a darn nice looking spinner. Another alternative is to just use a plastic spinner from a power plane, that can look nice too though it's not quite as ding-resistant as EPP. Anyways, good info, thanks for sharing!

Steve

Quick Reply