Jan 02, 2023, 10:59 AM
Blind Hawk
Thread OP
Discussion

Pacific NW Hand Launch Contests 2023

2023 HLG discussion thread for the Pacific Northwest. Hopefully you can make it out and fly this contest season. We'll post updates here on contest dates and other regional HLG specific stuff. March is only 2 months away!

I'll try to capture all the dates here on the first post, so send them to me as they get finalized. More details about SASS here. http://www.seattleareasoaringsociety.com

SASS 2023 (Carnation) Tentative Schedule, waiting club approval:

Sat. March 18
Sat. April 22
Sat. May 20
Sat. June 17
Sat. Aug 5
Cascadia - Sat/Sun. Sept 9/10
Sat. Oct 7

PASS (Portland) https://www.passoaring.org/

Sat March 4
Sat April 22
Sat May 20
Sat June 3
Sun Jul 16
Sat August 12
Sat Sept 2
Sat Sept 30

Rj
Last edited by rdjay; Mar 24, 2023 at 09:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2023, 11:44 AM
Joseph Conrad
2023 dlg ... Woot!
Jan 06, 2023, 03:46 PM
Going to be fun
Jan 06, 2023, 10:35 PM
Indeed! So looking forward to the 2023 season. So far, its F3K, F5J, a little pylon racing a Medina and a 3D foamy that need assembly. Also two slope planes (thanks Paul), neither of which have been tossed off a cliff yet. Aside from the DLGs, which plane should I work on next?
Jan 07, 2023, 12:37 AM
Which area would you fly the slopers Joe? What did you get?

I’m tempted to pick up a foam sloped like a Weasel or Ahi this year. I’m back visiting Australia currently and wishing I had something to fly. There have been some howling onshore winds and plenty of sea cliffs!
Jan 10, 2023, 07:36 PM

PASS Hand Launch dates 2023

The PASS club has finalized our contest calendar dates for 2023! Here are the hand launch dates. We made sure that our September date didn't conflict with the Cascadia

RJ, if you could please add them to your first post, it will be greatly appreciated.

Hope to see some of you from out of town at these events! Everyone is always more than welcome to join us for some fun and flying!

Craig
Jan 12, 2023, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomed
Which area would you fly the slopers Joe? What did you get?

I’m tempted to pick up a foam sloped like a Weasel or Ahi this year. I’m back visiting Australia currently and wishing I had something to fly. There have been some howling onshore winds and plenty of sea cliffs!
A Weasel and a Talon. Ebey's Landing and Fort Ebey are the two places I've been, both on Whidbey Island. Winds have been picking up on some days!

Craig, hoping to make it down sometime!
Jan 15, 2023, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCube
A Weasel and a Talon. Ebey's Landing and Fort Ebey are the two places I've been, both on Whidbey Island. Winds have been picking up on some days!

Craig, hoping to make it down sometime!
It would be great if you can. Allways a pleasure spending the day with you Joe!
Jan 25, 2023, 07:11 PM
Adam RED Weston

DLG's for local sale

Unfortunately, it's not looking like I'll be spending much time in the coming year in the NW... Which is unfortunate on the social side, but great for anyone looking for a lightly used DLG! Oh, and if you are left handed it's even better!

BAMF 1 Tiger Rainbow lightly used ($700 plug and play)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/aGLcbpwBMKJB1wzD6

BAMF 1 Hex Rainbow - has some wing damage ($500 plug and play)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZieADnfM5peEF1nM8

BART Lucy - SOLD

They are all with Rick Jay and for $100 he'll switch them over to right handed for ya... or he'll tell you how for $150 (Yes, he's that stingy)! PM me or Rick for details.

RED
Last edited by RED_HLG; Jan 27, 2023 at 04:30 PM.
Feb 03, 2023, 02:06 PM
Blind Hawk
Thread OP
Hey PNW pilots,

2023 is looking to be a pretty critical year for us. The FAA's new "rules" are set to go into effect this fall with many consequences (let's not debate that here please) AND the club lease on Carnation ends after this season.

Many of you are SASS members and it's very much appreciated. If you're not, please consider it https://seattleareasoaringsociety.co...mbership.shtml . It's only $50 to join and the added resources but more importantly (I believe) increased number of members in the club can only be to our benefit as we negotiate these issues.

Thanks!

Rj
Feb 06, 2023, 11:28 PM
Sherman Knight

Electric DLG

I just finished my Fury. Anything on electric launch?

Sherman
Feb 07, 2023, 11:16 AM
Blind Hawk
Thread OP
We experimented with an EYoda (Dave Beardsley) last year and it went well. You will need the altitude limiting device to shut the motor off. We're still testing to figure out the best launch altitude and a few other minor details but nothing that should stop you from flying our contests.
Feb 07, 2023, 08:38 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Quote:
Originally Posted by duworm
I just finished my Fury. Anything on electric launch?

Sherman
Here is how we do it at the SWSS Ranch, limiting E-F3K / F5K planes to 50 meters.

https://swsoaring.net/content.aspx?p...dule_id=497244

Our better dlg launchers can do better than 50 meters, and that is OK with everyone.
Feb 09, 2023, 06:19 PM
Amazing pre-spring day at 60acres! blue sky, mischievous breezes and plenty of lift and sink. Above 60deg temps not bad either.
Feb 09, 2023, 11:16 PM
Nice!

Quick Reply