May 15, 2002, 11:47 PM
Live to ride... and fly!

How do you know if your ESC is fried?

I'm running a Jeti 050 ESC on my Pop-Fly, rated for 4 amps continuous. I installed a GWS fan unit on it which should put out around 3 amps max, but then in the never-ending quest for more power I put the fan motor on by itself with a 3x2 prop. I now suspect I may have been drawing more than 3 amps because the BEC kicked off a couple of times while I was flying indicating the li-ons were dropping voltage. I managed to start it up and keep flying, but when I landed and put the next pack in and tried to launch, the throttle was going spastic. It would rev up and down even though I was not touching the throttle lever. I nursed it up to altitude and it kicked off the BEC in the middle of a loop, then restarted and was acting wacky again. I landed it and chalked it up to too much amp draw on the li-ons. So, I put the fan unit back on again because it flew fine with it before. But tonight I tried to fly the PF and the same wierd stuff happened again, racing throttle, glitchy signals, etc. After about 3 minutes the prop spun off, so I didn't get to try a 2nd pack, but I think the same thing would have happened.

Does this sound like a hosed ESC? I've never had one go, so I don't know if they tend to act erratic like this or just completely die.

Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2002, 12:57 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
Yep, something is screwy with the ESC. Try it with a different pack and radio if you can to see if it does the same. IF you got it from Hobby Lobby, they have a good warranty policy though!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, what is this BEC thing you are talking about? The BEC (battery Eleminator Circut) is always working and NEVER SHUTS DOWN, unless you have a problem.

The LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff) shuts down the motor so you still have power for the BEC. They do work together but are not interchangeable.
May 16, 2002, 01:27 AM
Tight is Right
How Do I know when my ESC is fried?

The smoke comes out.... It's fried then for sure
May 16, 2002, 09:19 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Fred-

==IF you got it from Hobby Lobby, they have a good warranty policy though! ==

As a matter of fact I did. Thanks for the tip.

==The LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff) shuts down the motor so you still have power for the BEC. They do work together but are not interchangeable.==

DOH! Yes, sorry about that I meant the LVC. It would kick off power to the motor and I would sail for 10 or 15 seconds, then I could restart the motor again. That alone would have made me think the motor was drawing down the li-ons too quickly, but the erratic throttle is what made me think the ESC was hosed. It got to the point where even after I switched out the motor with the lower amp setup, I was getting erratic throttle response at 50% setting. I ordered another ESC (higher amp rating) last night, so we'll see if it is the ESC or not. Thanks for the info.