Oct 10, 2005, 09:28 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Another RFB Fantrainer Park Flyer

hey guys,
i thought i'd just post this up because i kept getting people asking me to email them plans for this little bird. so, i thought simply posting the plans would be easier.
this little guy was inspired by spacemanspiff.

here are the stats:
WS: 24 1/4"
AUW: 10oz
Power: GWS 64-300
Batt: 3s1p 1200
2 servos (9 gram range) [aileron/elevator]
4chn gws pico receiver

as some of you already know, this plan was designed in microsoft powerpoint. this is one of my earlier plans... before i learned CAD. so, that is why the plans are a little odd (like, lots of extra unused space... sorry about that).
like all of my birds, she has yet to recieve paint... but she'll get dressed up fairly soon i hope.

enjoy
-beanie
ps. if you build, please post your pics and flight success.

UPDATE (9/30/06): Enlarged wing plans with better flight performance can be found on Page 8, Post 107.
UPDATE (5/26/09): Original plans enlarged to 150% can be found on Page 13, Post 190.

another update: enlarged wing plans removed until it can be beta tested.
Last edited by beanie; May 26, 2009 at 09:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2005, 09:37 PM
Thread OP
it has been a while since i built her, but here are some build tips that may come in handy if you decide to build:
-sand a rounded leading edge to the wing
-install some thin plywood supports to the T-tail
-be sure to make the foam 'grasping' the fan relatively loose.
i made mine too tight. i ended up sliding some sand paper between the blades and the duct to take out the grinding. of note, the gws fan blades are kinda weak and they will deform under a load of 3s1p... ie, they 'expand'/flatten out and slightly elongate. anyone else have that problem with gws fans? i just assumed it was because i made too snug of a fit.
-hmmmm. lets see. not much else i can think of. keep the speed up when flying... she doesn't float all too well.

beanie
Dec 25, 2005, 02:03 AM
Hi Beanie,

This is a Great Parkjet!! Can I put this on my site?!?!

Tom
www.parkjets.com
Dec 25, 2005, 08:18 AM
Thread OP
sure tom! i'd be honored. she goes a little faster than the other parkjets... need to keep the speed up. i think she'd be a speed demon with a brushless!
-beanie
Dec 25, 2005, 08:44 AM
Thread OP
here is a pic of the paint scheme i would like to eventually use:
Dec 25, 2005, 11:07 AM
Let me know if you would like some pics of the real one.Or you can look in My RTAF museum thread.

Tom
Dec 25, 2005, 11:21 AM
Thread OP
oooh! what is the web address of your rtaf museum thread?
thanks
-beanie
Dec 25, 2005, 11:49 AM
Here it is; https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455526

Tom
Dec 25, 2005, 11:50 AM
I have more pics of the Fantrainer,just give me a holler.

Tom
Dec 25, 2005, 03:13 PM
Merry Christmas Beanie (and Everyone else)

http://www.parkjets.com/fantrainer.html
Dec 25, 2005, 05:09 PM
bigglesjets
Hi Guys

Merry Xmas to you all, all the best for the New Year.

Wow! thats different Beanie, You little devil, you kept that one secret, Well done mate, I like it.
Just so happens I have a 69mm fan spare, will it fit? or will I have to print it out slightly bigger

All the best to everyone

Al
Dec 25, 2005, 05:17 PM
ImNotAPilotIJustPlay1onTV
any videos ?
Dec 25, 2005, 05:58 PM
Im not very good with computers is there any way to tile this or get it to print out bigger? I would like to resize to fit a wattage fan. Thanks Dave
Dec 25, 2005, 06:29 PM
Thread OP
hi karakoram- sorry, no video of her. she'd only flown a couple times. i think i am drawing too many amps because of the fan shroud crunching problem, so i'm afraid that soon the motor will die on me. she definitely needs speed to keep her going. i saw someone else design another rfb fantrainer and extended the wings for more lift. that would probably help a lot and not detract too much from the scale-ish appearance.

unclecrash- i've tiled it and attached it to this message. i don't have an easy way of re-sizing the plans because this was actually designed in microsoft powerpoint and not CAD. i guess you could print out the plans and then have kinko's resize it for larger... but you'd have to take into account the tabs. they will still have to stay at 6mm since the foam thickness isn't increasing in size

enjoy,
-beanie
Dec 25, 2005, 07:02 PM
Thanks Beanie I was trying to avoid going to kinkos. So I just printed out tiled plans. I just went down stairs and picked up the wattage fan. It looks like I can shoe horn it in to this size but I wonder if I will be able to get the balance right. I am assuming that the gws64 is lighter than the wattage fan. My other option is to bash the design a bit and hang two gws 50 3blade fan on each side. Do you know what size carbon tube you used in the wing? Thanks Dave

Quick Reply