Another Facetmobile - RC Groups
Oct 09, 2005, 09:16 PM
Been There! Done That!

Another Facetmobile

Building my 3rd Facetmobile. This one will be powered by LensRC 17T CDR Brushless. Here's where I am after 2 days build part time. Finish the rudders and I'm ready to cover. The extended motor stick is also the support for the front tricycle gear which will tie into the overall frame. Just weighed everything and AUW should be under 10oz so it will fly great with the 10oz thrust from the brushless. Pics of new frame and pics of past Facetmobiles. More later.
boomer
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2005, 09:33 PM
H2OFLY
An Oregon boy...Proud of You!

Terry
Oct 09, 2005, 10:13 PM
So you DO have plans........
Oct 09, 2005, 10:22 PM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marked
So you DO have plans........
Just bought another kit! You get plans with a kit! Without the cowl and skirt parts the plans are useless and when I get finished I have cut up the plans so bad they go into the recyclables.
boomer
Oct 09, 2005, 10:28 PM
A Clinger
Looks good Boomer. Almost pressed the buy button a couple of weeks ago on this neat little plane but thought "no, I have 6 kits aready to be built so it'll have to wait " .

How do they fly as I haven't heard in 'first hand' flight reports???

Link to the EAM Facet Mobile for those unfamilar with the plane and where to buy it.
Last edited by rclark; Oct 09, 2005 at 10:44 PM.
Oct 09, 2005, 10:42 PM
Crash happens! :)
Last edited by Arrow; Feb 18, 2007 at 02:15 PM.
Oct 09, 2005, 11:18 PM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark
Looks good Boomer. Almost pressed the buy button a couple of weeks ago on this neat little plane but thought "no, I have 6 kits aready to be built so it'll have to wait " .

How do they fly as I haven't heard in 'first hand' flight reports???

Link to the EAM Facet Mobile for those unfamilar with the plane and where to buy it.
The two I had flew great. I didn't like the way the first one flew with the little A motor so I put a 300C-D in the 2nd one. With the NiMH pack it was a bit heavy and was a handful. This with the brushless and lipos should be perfect! Roll rate is great and plane handles well. The one pic above shows a harrier landing. Putting the plane into a stall just causes loss in altitude without spin or roll tendencies. I'll try to get a video of the maiden.
boomer
Oct 10, 2005, 11:03 AM
Looks like a fun plane.

Question, if you were to build one out of foam (score and fold), what kind of foam material would you use? I have never built anything using foam but this might be a fun project since I located a template for a card model of the FMX4.

Also any sources for foam material would be appreciated.

Wayne
Oct 10, 2005, 12:03 PM
Or am I...
Looks like a chopstick factory went into the airplane buissnes , cool plane,
Oct 10, 2005, 12:32 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
Lookin good Boomer! Does the kit come with pre-cut pieces of wood or do you have to cut the pieces to match the plans?

Didn't you have one in all black too? Stealth Facet?

Wayne
Oct 10, 2005, 01:49 PM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketcase
Lookin good Boomer! Does the kit come with pre-cut pieces of wood or do you have to cut the pieces to match the plans?

Didn't you have one in all black too? Stealth Facet?

Wayne
Wayne actually it's a nightmare to build as you make the bottom base outline then prop up the front piece 1-1/8" and the back piece 2 - 1/4" and glue to the middle section then just the box sections at the front and middle of the plane are built and glued in place. That provides the outline then everything else is cut to fit. Seems like no 2 angles are the same and about the only way is to eyeball it and cut then try it and recut until you have a joint without a gap at the right angle! Then try not to cut the other end too short or at the wrong angle. Looks like it should be easy but is one of the hardest kits I have ever built. At least you don't see another like it at the field! The black plane was my own design with fans that didn't have the power it needed. That was BB (before brushless). Have been tempted to build another using brushless fans..... So many planes and not enough time nor money!
boomer
Oct 10, 2005, 06:00 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
Hi Boomer, thanks for the additional info. Now I know better than to attempt one, with my lack of building skills and patience it sounds like something I should avoid.

Looks great though and your description of it flying abilities make it sound very interesting. Maybe somebody will come out with a foamy version.

Wayne
Oct 10, 2005, 08:36 PM
I'm dangerously carefree
looks real cool. I always thought the facetmobile was one of the coolest planes out there. too bad it's such a hard kit. But a foamie versin shouldn't be bad, it's all "facets" so you wont need to do any bending.
Oct 10, 2005, 09:26 PM
A Clinger
Quote:
come out with a foamy version.
burrrr, . Foam .... Takes all the pleasure out of building ..... Why, you might as well go fly a GWS thingy hah! Just kidding .
Oct 11, 2005, 08:44 AM
Checking the wind
I have a kit new in box that I almost forgot about. I decided not to build it a few years ago when you were experimenting with yours. It seemed like the right motor was just not available. But now.....with all the great brushless motors out there, its' a different story.

I'll be anxiously awaiting a flight report from you Boomer!

Mike