Dec 29, 2019, 05:20 PM
eventhough it was windy i tried mine today, it was just going to see if it would do a powered glide, but the wind caught it and I ended up doing a few patterns before landing, flies well on the 2-s and too much on the 3-s, I'm thinking on trying to get the battery more centered for better lateral balance especially on the 3 s
to remove ads between posts
Dec 30, 2019, 06:35 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
TD, Yes, it’s one of the flattest spins we’ve seen … If you enter the spin in a very nose High position it can produce a Dead Duck …

Slam , yes do play with the CG to get what you want …

They do fly in the wind ( within reason ) … It’s always windy here …
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Dec 30, 2019, 08:14 PM
seems to be the case here too which is why I don't take certain planes out one of my winter projects is a sweet stick about a 30 size though so I can fly it at home, withthe short days I don't have time to get to the field, but I want it stout like the old ones to fly in the wind and take a hard landing or two
Dec 31, 2019, 06:20 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
We’ve routinely flown some very light foamies’ in strong winds , but they were Clean aerodynamically , and had Plenty of power … don’t forget the first canards like this were Racers… These canards don’t seem to mind the wind , but the downwind speed can get EXCITING ~!!
One thing we tried to stay away from was banks of trees , that creates rotors of swirling winds that at low altitudes can slam a plane into the ground . Big Open fields work best in the wind, then it's clean moving air and more like air-surfing …
Jan 08, 2020, 07:32 PM

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
OZ, just 0-0 unless you have a lot of torque …
GPW, Thanks for the info on thrust. Ozmo
Last edited by ozmo01; Jan 08, 2020 at 07:33 PM. Reason: I don't think the 4" prop will have much torque (:
Jan 08, 2020, 08:20 PM
I've enjoyed mine very much, although it didn't last, since the wing is on the bottom it takes a hit every time i land I had a bad toss and it hit hard on the ground, when I relaunched it the wing looked bent or like it had some diehedrial I shut it down and it landed but tore the wing in half and the canard as well, it's fixable but i want to add a skid on the bottom to protect the wing either a skid or some sort of wheels shouldn't be too hard,
this design flew the best out of the other 2 I'm also looking into a 3/4 version of the falcon or a sweet stick to fly at home
Jan 09, 2020, 06:46 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Slam , We found that when constructing a new model , we make TWO !!! Doesn’t take much longer to cut out the parts (especially this one ) for two as it does one . And that invokes Murphy’s law , which states “ if you have a spare plane waiting, you’ll never crash the first one “ …. True ( ask anybody ! )
Jan 09, 2020, 02:15 PM
Lookin' up at the centerline
also known as the spare prop theory.
Yes it really works.
I haven't busted a prop in years.
Jan 09, 2020, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Slam , We found that when constructing a new model , we make TWO !!! Doesn’t take much longer to cut out the parts (especially this one ) for two as it does one . And that invokes Murphy’s law , which states “ if you have a spare plane waiting, you’ll never crash the first one “ …. True ( ask anybody ! )
Ya know I know that law only I apply it to my truck, so long as the socket set and wrenches are with the truck it never breaks down
Jan 11, 2020, 08:20 PM

Outbreak of canards

EZ canard infectious. The first reaction is “this thing can’t be this simple and fly this well.” It does. Two more under construction.
Jan 12, 2020, 07:03 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Whoa !!! A gaggle of canards … NICE !!!
Jan 15, 2020, 03:12 AM

Foam ez no mods........well maybe a couple Lol

FFF, groc store meat trays and Sams Club ( Makers mark) foam trays . KF airfoil, Balsa LE, plastic jar lid threads for prop shroud from a clear plastic jar that
4.25 x 4.25 prop shortened and re-balanced. 4100 KV motor 40 A ESC.
Have to place the servo wires and pick a battery still.
The last pic shows Maker's Mark foam tray edges Gorilla glues for stiffeners on the bottom. Very stiff fuse but still quite light weight. Oh I did add a CF tube to the LE of the canard as it was tail heavy very slightly. ( not cuz a I popped a crack in it on the bench )
The battery will go on the CG just in front of the motor.
Last edited by ozmo01; Jan 15, 2020 at 03:26 AM.
Jan 15, 2020, 03:31 AM

Prop shroud from this kind of jar

Bleach bottle was to flimsy. The jar is stiff " PET" plastic like some water bottles.
Jan 15, 2020, 06:08 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
OK, COOL !!! let us know how that works !!!
Jan 16, 2020, 12:40 AM
Hi GPW . We are gonna have an ice storm and freezing coooooold for a few days. But it will get maidened asap.

Tip. I layered up white Gorilla Glue filets around the jar lid where the FFF met and that replaces any skewers for supporting the vertical fin.

Realy want to make another one for indoor flying.

Quick Reply