Jan 13, 2019, 06:39 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
Always more FUN when you’re not freezing your Foam off …
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2019, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slam555
its a funny thing down here I make more than I did up north and keep more, plus the weather lets me work more. it's a lot more pleasant life here that's for sure
i retired last Dec with a carpenters union pension plus I was a big boss in the corporation and had a nice 401k so now each month I just shop for junk to buy . Lol joe
Nov 27, 2019, 04:51 PM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Can't let this thread fade away.
Been looking at this design for years and just decided to give it a go.
Had half a sheet of black depron and a sheet of dollar store foam.
Use an unknow size motor with a 7/6 prop, a 12 amp esc and a 1000amp 2s lipo.
total weight is 8 oz.
would have been 7 if the esc power lead had been 3 inches longer.
Have put one quick flight at dusk when the wind finally died down a bit and she flew nice and trim seemed good but too much turbulence to set anything.
If anyone's still reading this thread...
Mine balanced on the mark with a washer taped to the nose.
For spins and ducks, where did your CG end up?
Thanks to GPW for a great simple design.

Nick
Nov 27, 2019, 09:36 PM
I've had a few tried a few different things a kfm wing helps with the c/g if I build another I'm adding 2" to the nose
Nov 27, 2019, 09:37 PM
you have an under cambered wing neat
Nov 28, 2019, 06:01 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
The original had an under-cambered wing and flew Fine !!!

You can play with the CG , too far forward and the nose will want to go down ( typical ) as you go rearward the spin will be better and you can “elevator" the plane down straight down from a great height and land at your feet …You need to experiment to find the GC position you like … I usually bring a lump of modeling clay for fine CG adjustments … Have Fun !!!
Nov 28, 2019, 01:34 PM

Das Canard stick

Hi all the Das Canard foam stick was my build long ago and I couldn’t get back on Rc groups for some reason with out changing my profile name , your canard build looks great , Joe
Nov 30, 2019, 06:14 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Just FYI , one of the indicators of nose heaviness is you’ll have to carry a lot of UP trim ,and it won’t loop … OK Two indicators
Dec 01, 2019, 09:40 PM
I found that the big plus of Dollar tree foam is you can undercamber it permanently by just pressing it down on the edge of your work bench with your hands. very simple.
The minus is that it isn't as strong as depron.
The vid shows some flex in the loops.
The CG was right on the money with the plans and it flew good, but wouldn't spin.
Not on the vid, but later we move the cg back 1/2" and it spun ok but I think it will take another 1/2" to get it right.
Many thanks for your design.
Foam EZ Canard (1 min 54 sec)
Dec 01, 2019, 11:15 PM
I always built mine out of the elmers foam it's a lot stiffer I'll have to build another for the winter
Dec 02, 2019, 07:08 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
TD’ , Thanks for the Video …

Mine wouldn’t spin all the time, but I entered it by being slightly nose up and giving full up and right or left aileron … It would either spin or do the “ Dead Duck”. You can move the CG back till it becomes “wallowy” ( is that a word? ) … adjust to suit !!!

Slam , we need to finish ours made of recycled meat trays … hahaha
Dec 02, 2019, 05:16 PM
was the entry at full throttle?
Dec 02, 2019, 07:55 PM
I've tried lamenating the dollar tree foam for more solid round pieces might try that but I would still build the rest out of the elmers it'll last longer
Dec 03, 2019, 07:47 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
TD , No full stop , sorta entering in a stall … Although it really doesn’t stall , so just try entering motor off and slightly facing climbing ( nose up ) ...

Slam ,that’ll work !!
Dec 03, 2019, 04:48 PM
K
Thanks.

Quick Reply