Oct 15, 2005, 09:37 PM
I'm dangerously carefree
Oh, sorry Praymond, I forgot to tell you the power system I'm using. I have a dual ips on 2S Kokam 700s on it, because that's what I've got. I think the CD-rom probably gives it "brushless" performance, and I'm content with "brushed" performance for now. But, I think Santa might be giving me a brushless esc and some gobrushless kits

Actually, I did change the plans a little. I added some struts made of bamboo skewers, because the wing felt floppy to me. I also changed the canard controll setup slightly, because I already had some wire bent into the right shape, and my way seemed simpler.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2005, 11:08 PM
SaMx-- I put cf rods under wing to stiffen it up too. Threw it into the weeds this afternoon, glides pretty flat. Hop ya get to fly it tomorrow, we got 40+ mph winds forcast here. I spent more time trying to get control rods set up even and lashed together like plans, than I did the rest of the plane! First go round I ca'd the wire to stirrer tubes, had to do em over. Then when I was tossing to glide test I decided to give it a little power and nosed her in as I had the canard servo backwards-- what a dufus!
Here's a few picts of her waiting for this northeaster to go by and calmer days-- the rogallo is waiting too.
Oct 15, 2005, 11:10 PM

what pics???

Quote:
Originally Posted by praymond
.............................. Here's a few picts of her waiting for this northeaster to go by and calmer days-- the rogallo is waiting too.
where are the pics????????????
Oct 15, 2005, 11:30 PM
2nd try at picts-----
Oct 15, 2005, 11:39 PM
Always have trouble with pict uploading, must be doing something wrong, have to reduce the size from camera or it takes forever--- what's the secret????????
Oct 16, 2005, 12:04 AM

on mine.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by praymond
Always have trouble with pict uploading, must be doing something wrong, have to reduce the size from camera or it takes forever--- what's the secret????????
on mine, HIGH pic quality defined in pixels (example, forgot exact number... is like 1024 x 768)............. BEFORE i take a pic I switch it to a LOWER, but ACCEPTABLE quality........ there are four options on mine........ (don't laugh guys) but the lowest might be like 800 x 600, and THAT is what reduces pixels, bytes, and of course "quality", but for most of OUR purposes, and even casual family "snap shots" it does the job........... only need HIGH quality in case you want to enlarge a photo to 8x10 or maybe larger...

but in MY case, I've gotta do it in the camera BEFORE I snap it........ I'll bet some of these electronics wizards (complementary) might know how to do it even AFTER it's snapped, at time of posting......... but that's me.

(memory paragraph) oh, and on MINE, the HIGH quality eats up memory like crazy (on my little mem card).......... and i guess it is because BIG takes SPACE........

LarryR
Last edited by LareeRudee; Oct 16, 2005 at 12:06 AM. Reason: add memory paragraph
Oct 16, 2005, 10:20 AM
It Wasn't Me!!!!

Maiden FLight Report

Well guys, contrary to what I said earlier I stayed up until midnight last night and rigged my canard for flying.
I went out to the flying field early this morning (7am) for the maiden.
Alas---I crashed on the first launch But wait--it was because I had the elevator set for the wrong direction(same as a regular aircraft). After changing that, I gave it another toss and WHALLA!!! it took off nice and smooth. It flys really well---EXCEPT at reduced power flying slower the canard stalls when making a hard banking turn and goes nose high and then into a nose dive. It is recoverable, but I can see that this must be what Glen was talking about in regards to the flight caracteristics. I had to move the COG forward a little as the canard would stall with power off and it wouldn't glide hands off. After the adjustment it flew better and would glide well. It helped the turn/stall problem too.
Even with this little hick-up, I feel the plane flyes well. I had 3-8+ min. flights this morning with the wind increasing each flight, with a 8mph blowing for the last one. I am VERY happy with this plane and THANKS GLEN, for inspiring me and providing the necessary drawings.
C-YA RL
Oct 16, 2005, 11:28 AM

where is your CG

Quote:
Originally Posted by geigerr
Alas---I crashed on the first launch But wait--it was because I had the elevator set for the wrong direction(same as a regular aircraft). After changing that, I gave it another toss and WHALLA!!! it took off nice and smooth. It flys really well---EXCEPT at reduced power flying slower the canard stalls when making a hard banking turn and goes nose high and then into a nose dive. It is recoverable, but I can see that this must be what Glen was talking about in regards to the flight caracteristics. I had to move the COG forward a little as the canard would stall with power off and it wouldn't glide hands off. After the adjustment it flew better and would glide well. It helped the turn/stall problem too.
Even with this little hick-up, I feel the plane flyes well. I had 3-8+ min. flights this morning with the wind increasing each flight, with a 8mph blowing for the last one. I am VERY happy with this plane and THANKS GLEN, for inspiring me and providing the necessary drawings.
C-YA RL
Where did your cg "end up"???

thx,
LarryR
Oct 16, 2005, 11:48 AM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LareeRudee
Where did your cg "end up"???

thx,
LarryR
For me it was 1/2" ahead of where it was marked in Glen's drawing.
Thanks C-YA RL
Oct 16, 2005, 04:59 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Gei...Congratulations !!!! Thanks for the report (any pics) Did you leave the canopy on ??? maybe that affected the stall /turn/cg+1/2" thingie' ....????
The rudder will BANK the plane , sticking out of one side (creating leverage) and then you need to add some elevator for the turn (on a non-dihedraled wing )as far as acting like a rudder (yaw) forget it....
Flew mine several times oday on 2&3 cells ... no problems except a "sticky ?" cd motor .... Flew fine , loops , rolls , nice transition to glide from level flight to power off...and the flying cg was about 1/2 " forward of where I marked it (best glide cg)..just like geigerr...hmmmm?????
pray , howz' the weather???
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Oct 16, 2005, 05:51 PM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Gei...Congratulations !!!! Thanks for the report (any pics) Did you leave the canopy on ??? maybe that affected the stall /turn/cg+1/2" thingie' ....?????
Yes I left the canopy on, and I thing it may be creating the spoiled air flow over the canard under hard banking. I am going to install some turned-down (Hoerner) tips to see if that helps this condition. I'll let you know if it works.
Thanks again. C-YA RL
Oct 16, 2005, 06:11 PM
gpw-- Blowing at 25+mph, at least the rain is over for now!! hope for tuesday maiden. Been thinking about ailerons-- do you have any mechanical differrential built in? I'm usong a straight servo horn 90 deg from body, mabe I should make some new aileron horns and cock them over the hindge line to make the up swinging aileron move more than the down swinging one. Like I said am fairly new at this and been reading about aileron diffential-- do ys need it in this ine? If not when do you need it? I did set up the P51cd with a 90deg horn facing forward.--- So much to learn LOL!

Spent the afternoon working on a printed P51 freebe from DRCRCairplanes.com (Ithink thats the site) It's a A/E/T job too.
Oct 16, 2005, 06:15 PM
Gieger. I did the same thing reversing the canard throw when I tested glide and short power burst, into the weeds, in the rain-- couldn't wait- still haven't flown her yet
Oct 16, 2005, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
The rudder will BANK the plane , sticking out of one side (creating leverage) and then you need to add some elevator for the turn (on a non-dihedraled wing )as far as acting like a rudder (yaw) forget it....
Somebody should tell these guys...

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~suncoast/Cook.htm
http://homes.jcu.edu.au/~ccla/bob/cook.html

Good Luck!
Oct 16, 2005, 09:02 PM
Crash Master
That has dihedral...

Quick Reply