Oct 14, 2005, 10:53 PM
Tree? That's a Tx weed!
How to you shape the wing to the 4-40 form?
Roll the LE part around a pipe?
Stick a 1/4" dowel under it at the 2.8" point and press down while heating with a heat gun - kinda mold it?
What?
Thanks,
Crash
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2005, 11:26 PM

the faster i go..........................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man
Glen, thank you for the kind thoughts...................................
I guess that I will have to catch up later. How does that go the quicker I fall behind that more time I have to catch up. .............OM

The one I am familiar with is:
the faster i go, the behinder i get........... that's what I've always heard and used.......... kinda like it

LarryR
Oct 15, 2005, 03:48 AM
This is mine from recycled scrap depron...(i have no more new depron at the moment).
Oct 15, 2005, 04:06 AM
Question about setup:

What is going to happen using RUDDER & canard ELEVATOR no ailerons, is it going to work?
Oct 15, 2005, 07:14 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Franky, No... usa' da ailerons!!!!!
Geiger , I didn't mean to sound negative , but lately , many of our models have had problems with forward area on the fuse .... just like you added ... models won't turn until that area is removed...
I'll have to say this once again , with conviction ....
THE PLANE WAS DESIGNED OVER A PERIOD OF YEARS , AND MANY MODIFICATIONS, IT FLIES WELL AS PRESENTED ...ANY CHANGES (for whatever reason ) AND YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN ... OK? , Got it ? True!!!! Just trying to keep you guys out of trouble ...I ACTUALLY want yours to fly as well as mine , so build it AS PRESENTED and then , once you see how well it flies , then make your aesthetic changes.... TRUST ME!!!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Oct 15, 2005, 07:32 AM
Franky: I think it would work if you had some dihedral. Looks like yours is set up with ailerons though.

Crash: I've had good results rolling airfoils around pipes of different sizes. If it's anywhere close, it'll be fine.

Good Luck!
Oct 15, 2005, 07:52 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
BVR, check this out .... NO, it won't work because the location of the rudder is directly over the thing you're trying to turn ...
Crash , search the Bendfoam thread , it works consistently and accurately and eliminates all guess work , results are repeatable too ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Oct 15, 2005, 10:21 AM
Quote by gpw:
"NO, it won't work because the location of the rudder is directly over the thing you're trying to turn ..."

Entirely true. Imagine putting the rudder on the axis. Less effect. the farther away from the turning axis the more leverage yo have and therefore more effective. You would do better by using a flying rudder up front for turning. Even so this is not the best.
For those who are familier with flying wings, at least from a modelers standpoint. it is pretty much the same. Many flying wings use a verticle fin for stability but they hardly ever use those as rudders in trying to turn the wing.
The similarities with canards and flying wings are many.

Robert
Oct 15, 2005, 12:43 PM
I'm dangerously carefree
I have mine built and ready to fly. exactly per the plans (I seem to be the only one who built it that way ) but I may add a rudder, just to see how it works out. the maiden will be later today.
Oct 15, 2005, 12:57 PM
SaMx-- Looking forward to hear how maiden goes, what do you have on it for a motor, ect? Ive had mine ready for 4 days, been raining and stormy here since forever, tomorrow it clears with 40+mph winds, I'll be retired before I get this thing in the air!!! Guess I'll have to start something else tomorrow to keep busy.
Oct 15, 2005, 02:22 PM
OK guys, I got it !
It was just to experiment with and to learn more .
Oct 15, 2005, 04:18 PM
Hmmm, most 40 size canards I've seen plans for have working rudders. Maybe that's just an excuse to have nosegear steering.

The purpose of the fin (and canards need biguns) is to keep the aircraft flying straight, nose forward, right? If the fin is not straight, it will push the rear to one side. If the wing has dihedral or sweep, it should bank. What am I missing?

Good Luck!
Oct 15, 2005, 05:40 PM
I'm dangerously carefree
i haven't been able to fly today, so you're going to have to wait for the maiden. It's really frustrating because today was the first day in the past week when it hasn't rained. But it was really windy, so I doubt I could have gotten a maiden in anyway.
I think the rudder could turn it, because it is my understanding that the plane will rotate on its center of gravity, and the center of gravity is still in front of the rudder.
Oct 15, 2005, 08:01 PM
Dick Sarpolous' "Weird One" towline glider used canard, rudder and polyhedral.

I can see how the rudder would oppose banking if it's too high. Lots of dihedral would be needed to counter that. The Weird One's rudder is behind and extends below the wing. It would be hard to set the FoamEZ up that way. Maybe dual fins and rudders out just beyond the prop?

Good Luck!
Oct 15, 2005, 09:37 PM

trial explanation.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMx
i............................I think the rudder could turn it, because it is my understanding that the plane will rotate on its center of gravity, and the center of gravity is still in front of the rudder.
me no first hand experience, but trying to understand THEIR explanation of rudder "close" or "on" cg............... it takes "leverage" to turn the plane......... it takes leverage to tighten a nut or bolt......... so if you have a nut or bolt to tighten, would you use an 8, or 10, or 12 inch long wrench to tighten it, or a 1 or 2 inch wrench????
me don't know.......... but trying to hear what THEY are saying.
Good luck, LarryR

hmmmmmmmmmmm, did any of you guys ever have second thoughts......... after printing the plans, and seeing the photos posted just a few minutes ago...... I'm beginning to think that (the "leverage" thing that I WAS TALKING ABOUT........ only makes the rudder turn the plane EASIER) .......... but am starting to think that a rudder WILL in fact "turn" the plane........ now I didn't say how WELL it'd turn, but now think that it WILL in fact cause the plane to turn........... no i'm not an Aeronautical Engineer, nor have canard experience, just speculating like some other folks do.......... I'm betting my 25 cents that it will turn with the rudder.

smiling,
LarryR
Last edited by LareeRudee; Oct 15, 2005 at 11:54 PM. Reason: leverage pst cg yes, but........................

Quick Reply