Oct 12, 2005, 06:50 AM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Glen,
Thanks for the pics of the gear, but I didn't see where you placed the battery. I have drawn up some plans on Auto-Cad taking the dims from the pencil sketch that you posted. I made a few modifications to the fuse to make it look more like a long-EZ, but as yet have had no time to do the build. I hope to have one cut out by this weekend, and then test fly it the following weekend.
I have wanted to make a canard foamy for a while now, thanks for the inspiration. C-YA RL
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2005, 07:01 AM
Master of the figure 9
Glen, thank you for the kind thoughts.

I am guessing that it is impossible for you to slow down. I know that if I had the time, I would be building and flying to take my mind off of things so that I could relax. We have both had a some bad times lately I am jealous that you have the time to play.

I guess that I will have to catch up later. How does that go the quicker I fall behind that more time I have to catch up. Looks like the Carnard Sportif will come right after Buck Rodgers, which is in line behind the BBA. Time to hit the books so that I can get start building.
OM
Oct 12, 2005, 07:13 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Gei .... this model has developed over a period of many years, many modifications/changes made to make it "better".... you see here, the results , in it's SIMPLEST form .... This WORKS!!!! Any changes , are NOT my responsibility, and besides , how will you ever know how good the "straight" version flies , unless you build it first ....Aerologic...OK!!! Battery(2-3s700lipo) is on the front right side under the crutch and canard , mounted on Velcro ...
OM...Play ??? My time is finite and I must try to do as much as I can .
I'd hardly consider this play .... Actually , I work harder at this , than my chosen profession , which was taken over by Ultra Greedy Galleries and Art Dealers.... then they all got blown away ... good Riddance!!!!! Now , this is my new job..... Sharing Flying Foam Fun Stuff..... Best job in the world , cept' maybe TOG...hahahahaha

Ps Build the Foam EZ first ..... I really believe in this plane and think it will change the way many people view canards as being tricky ... This one is EZ!!!and requires no special radio .....NO SPECIAL RADIO
Last edited by gpw; Oct 12, 2005 at 07:29 AM.
Oct 12, 2005, 07:52 AM
Master of the figure 9
Ok now I am really jealous!!! You and TOG have the best jobs ever. And I have to say that you are both very good at your jobs. Thank you for doing your job so well.

OM
Oct 12, 2005, 08:09 AM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
This WORKS!!!! Any changes , are NOT my responsibility, and besides , how will you ever know how good the "straight" version flies , unless you build it first ....Aerologic...OK
Ps Build the Foam EZ first ..... I really believe in this plane and think it will change the way many people view canards as being tricky ... This one is EZ!!!and requires no special radio .....NO SPECIAL RADIO
Glen,
Thanks for the battery placment info. As far as a design change---I only increased the vertical fuse, giving it somewhat of a canopy for the pilot.
As for the rest of it, it is unchanged. Thanks again. C-YA RL
Oct 12, 2005, 08:18 AM
gpw
gpw
Funny as it sounds , we've had to cut canopies/pilots /etc. OFF planes to get them to fly well ...a little area can make a big difference ... the old canard flyers knew this and used small fins on the forward fuse, to induce turns ... but that was on FF......If it doesn't fly well (especially turning) you might have to get out the old sharp pocketknife and do field surgery....Good Luck !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Oct 12, 2005, 08:26 AM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
If it doesn't fly well (especially turning) you might have to get out the old sharp pocketknife and do field surgery....Good Luck !!!
I figure I can always cut some off and whittle it down to your original specs.
I am looking forward to building my first canard. Thanks C-YA RL
Oct 12, 2005, 09:52 AM
RPV builder & operator
I'm still bent on doing a weird twin, so I'm thinking motor sticks on the leading edge for motors with 7-8" props and a trike landing gear.
Oct 12, 2005, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Years ago , Bruce Thorpe challenged anyone to build a simple flyable canard in the "Boxy" manner....I met his challenge with the Boxy-Z , a 1/2A canard racer ..published in the Apr.1988 issue of Model Builder.... a really FUN flyer and so easy to make ....

Since everyone in the magazines are doing redo 's of their older designs , I thought I'd do the same ....So here is the Foam-EZ... a newer version of the Boxy , made in the crutch style , a Foamie ,powered by the new cd/outrunner motors for power and weight , and again , really simple ... any interest ?????
gpw, I built a Boxy-Z when it first came out and I still have it and fly it. It's always a crowd pleaser when I get it out.

I was flying it one day and a local designer/builder guru watched me fly it. This is a guy who gets top dollar for his planes because they are so light, well-built, and fly really well. After the flight he walked up to me and offered a straight trade for any one of his planes. Mind you, these are .40 size birds with 4-strokes on them. I felt that would be taking advantage of him and, besides, I liked my Boxy-Z that much. Instead, we talked about canards, and how they worked, etc.

Now I'll read the rest of the thread. I'm VERY interested.
Oct 12, 2005, 12:17 PM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Glen,
Another question????? Does the profile of the fuse pattern follow with the wing that you are flying on this plane. The reason I ask is that the pattern that you provided says "cut to suit airfoil". Should I follow this pattern as having the proper 4% as stated by Gene Bond earlier in this thread?
Thanks again for sharing and I'm sure you will see another FOAM-EZ photo posted here soon. C-YA RL
Oct 12, 2005, 06:58 PM
gpw
gpw
Pierre, we must speak about ...bicycles.....
Storey.... Glad you enjoyed the Boxy-Z.. we built a gang of em' in "the old days " ... at that time it was the simplest canard I could think of (that actually flew great ).... that was before Fanfold foam ...hahahahahaah.. Welcome Aboard !!!!!
Gei .... I usually try to take the simplest way out , so I bend the wing first , then use the wing edge to mark the airfoil profile on the fuse ....exact fit , first time !!!! Easy huh ??? and by the way , none of my airfoils are exact .... close is good enough for this plane .
Oct 13, 2005, 10:58 PM
Hey Glen-- I've got this one all ready to go!! Being a rooky at rc, tho I've made 6 FF planes over the summer, I don't know how a canard wing will react compared to regular wing planes. I've flown the smaller Hoot, will it react to controls like that? Should the ailerons be following the wing curve, or should I give it a bit of up reflex like I had to do on Gene's P51 cd? The P51 was the toughest plane I've made to date to fly, Distroyed the 1st one, 2nd one got to fly with some success till I ripped the wing off, gutter her out to make this one, and hopeing its going to be abit tamer to fly.

I have rates way down on it for maiden, power is 17T Lenscd and 1000 2cell. Will almost pull out of my hand trying out in my basement.

Should I toss it unpowered into the weeds like I've done it on my others before maiden, or being a canadr will this not be a goo test of glide/CG??

thanks. Paul

BTW the weather here in NH isn't going much for flying prob right thru weekend, may have to give it a quick shot in protection of my backyard, as don't know if I can stant looking at it till Monday not knowing if going to work!
Oct 14, 2005, 06:23 AM
A canard should glide like any other plane. Make yourself a half sized free flight glider, they're fun too.

This one's on my short list. Just wish I had more radio equipment!

Good Luck!
Oct 14, 2005, 08:42 AM
gpw
gpw
pra... the beauty of this plane is , properly balanced) it flies exactly like other planes... and it's very light and floaty feeling too ... a fun plane to fly , and easy too ...the ailerons should follow the wing curve (what little of it there is... I even think this would work with a Flat wing ...???) the canard does the nose lifting , not the wing.... the tall grass/glide test thing is always a good idea , if ya' got it ...
here's the tip on trimming a canard ... if the nose goes UP. move the battery slightly forward , nose down , move it slightly aft... familar eh ???
Oct 14, 2005, 08:43 PM
It Wasn't Me!!!!

A few modifications

Gle...here is your design, with a few modifications for esthetics. You said it should be built and flown in its present state, but no offense I didn't like the way it looked. For ME it just didn't look like a real model---so I added a little of my own design. It may not even fly, or fly as well as the original one that you designed, but isn't this forum for people to exchange ideas and experiment with different designs?
It wil take me another week to gear it up, so I wil not maiden it this weekend.
Thanks very much for inspiring me to build this fascenating plane.
C-YA RL

Quick Reply