May 13, 2001, 09:34 AM
Giddy up!
Thread OP

Just one of those days...

After days of nothing but wind, I went out to the field yesterday evening with 3 planes. Came home with 3 unflyable planes.

I wanted to start out with something easy, my Sky Scooter (new paint job & all). I tried a new larger prop but should have used 600ae pack instead of RS 8 cell (I hadn't used this pack since last season). Under powered and smacked nose first, broke the whole nose off and bent the gb shaft. I should have packed up and went home, it just didn't feel right.

Next up, Hot Cat. Had a good flight with one pack.

Then my foamie Bearcat. Just redesigned the nose/motor mount. Pedal launched it and it flailed around and smacked into the ground. Tried again & again but finally the last nose in broke my new mount and folded the wing. I should stuck with the original mount, it worked well but no I had to make it better (guess I made it worse). Strke two.

Feeling dejected and unfulfilled, I put a new pack in the Hot Cat and threw it into the air. After about 10 seconds it started to twitch and headed out of control. Another smack nose first, bent the shaft. Then I realized in all of the mayhem I forgot to extend my transmitter antenna - STUPID ! Strike three, I'm out.

I took the night off from planes (building) and chalked it up to being anxious and stupid. I figured I'd assess the real damage after I cooled off and got over my depression.

Just had to tell someone no matter how stupid I looked...
to remove ads between posts
May 13, 2001, 11:10 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Well, that shoulda' gotten your crash quota taken care of for a while. Remember what they say about things coming in 'threes'.
May 13, 2001, 11:22 AM
Don't feel too bad. I've been there and done that too.

Dave
May 13, 2001, 11:27 AM
AMA 697691 / FAA 13675
Sal,

Sorry about your planes buddy. I've been there too when my gut told me that something didn't feel right. I swear that you "fly how you feel" sometimes.

I have a wide assortment of ships now, 15 in all, which really helps that issue. If I feel "the need for speed" I have a couple of 300 watt ships to satisfy that urge. My beat up original Zagi and Graupner Terry usually get the call when i'm feelin' wimpy and tired.

Good luck on your repairs and get back in the air soon!
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
May 13, 2001, 09:38 PM
Well, that stinks.
Fortunately, it doesn't sound like the Hot Cat took any damage.
It is such a nice looking and flying plane, that losing it would have been a major shame.
I also think it's time to strip the Scooter and use the gear in your in-the-box Manx.

Also, you really should get your aileron T-52 flying.
Stop worrying about appearances and slap that wing on your stock fuselage.
(BTW, I'm really hoping the winds and weather will allow some lunch time flying tomorrow. Maybe I'll see you out there?)

Mitch
May 13, 2001, 10:18 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
It was too windy all day yesterday and today.. so what do I do?.... launch the skyscooter anyway.. result?.. broken prop on landing.. I feel lucky

Quick Reply