Oct 04, 2005, 09:51 AM
Thread OP

Peter Rake Builds a Brisfit

Well, after much procrastination, fiddling about getting computers sorted and catching up with columns and construction articles, I've finally made a start on the 36" span Brisfit.
True, only astart at present, tail surfaces built and one fuselage rear frame, but will try to get that other side frame built this afternoon. Longerons and uprights are already cut, it's just a case of giving the first side a bit more drying time before unpinning it, turning it over and building the second side over the first.
Why turn it over? With the best will in the world, 1/8 sq. balsa isn't always square. With the side frame turned over I'm working on the side that was against the board and should be nicely flat. Meaning that I should end up with two side frames that I know have one flat side each - the sides that will be innermost on the assembled fuselage. Any irregularity on the outside will be removed during final sanding. The fact that any glue 'fillets' end up away from the covering is just an added bonus.

So far, the laser cut parts are looking good. I have spotted a couple of errors, but nothing that isn't easily rectified on the revised files I'll be sending Charlie once the build is completed.

Pete
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2005, 10:05 AM
Light and floaty does it
Hooray! This is one I'll follow closely and order a set of parts when it's ready. What motor, the trusty Speed 400 geared or the little brushless bell motor?
Oct 04, 2005, 10:13 AM

"Square" Bashing!

I usually mark the sheet lightly (with something to write with) before I start slicing with my "Master Stripper" ( a gay old time, Aeromodelling, You know!).

Even then, these days, a 4" sheet of 1/8 balsa can be 3/32 thick on one edge and a '32nd thicker than 1/8 on the oppesite ...and that's excluding the fur! Then.. as I cut the lengths from it ... I touch them with the pen again

I'm pretty keen on watching how you go on this one, particularly with the lower wing/fuselage arrangement. It's my favourite WW I Aeroplane.

This will be another real treat for us from 'Prolific Pete'

All Success

Ade ... back to the wooden Hurricane!
Last edited by Adrian Britton; Oct 04, 2005 at 10:14 AM. Reason: sPellinge
Oct 04, 2005, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Work in Progress
Hooray! This is one I'll follow closely and order a set of parts when it's ready. What motor, the trusty Speed 400 geared or the little brushless bell motor?
Plan shows a mini olympus box for a 400...
Oct 04, 2005, 11:44 AM
Neophyte hacker
I can vouch for 'nonstandard' wood. Having bought scads of it lately My biggest problem is that sheets aren't always square or straight. When I do have to cut strips these days I will use a straightedge to cut a reference first. I am currently experimenting with cutting on the laser to see how long it takes. Might add a sheet of strips to the kits.

charlie
Oct 04, 2005, 01:23 PM
Looking at this one closely...........have plan will build..Good one Pete!.

Ian
Oct 04, 2005, 01:58 PM
Has, or will, this design be published in FSM? By the way, some nice small movies of a New Zealand replica Brisfit here: http://www.classicfighters.co.nz/air...tolfighter.htm
Oct 04, 2005, 02:43 PM
B for Bruce
I built in indoor rubber scale Brisfit from doubled up Wylam drawings back in my teens. No photocopiers then. I scaled it up with pencil, ruller and paper. It was a good stable flyer. But the lower wing mounting was a nightmare at that scale. I also used sliced ribs at the scale rib spacing and riblets as well. Final rib spacing was about 1/4 inch along the leading edge...

I'll be watching this with intrest.
Oct 04, 2005, 04:29 PM
Thread OP
Yeah,
Vintage has the drop on most of you with my designs, he prints my CAD plans for me. Just for a change, I think I'll stick with the as drawn power set up. I'm sure I still have the odd s400 knocking about somewhere.

I did get that other fuselage frame built. Tail surfaces are now sanded and ready to cover. Photos to follow soon.

Pete
Oct 05, 2005, 02:45 AM
have you got a small 3s LIPO pack to match Peter?

that will totally be a blast on LIPOS with a 400..
Oct 05, 2005, 10:41 AM
Thread OP
Now it's funny you should mention that. It reminded me that I have an Air Power Extreme 3s 830 mAh HD pack sitting in a drawer unused. I guess that means we're looking at roughly a scale diameter prop, 8x6 or something similar. Just as well really because there isn't enough clearance for anything much bigger.

Pete
Oct 05, 2005, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE
Now it's funny you should mention that. It reminded me that I have an Air Power Extreme 3s 830 mAh HD pack sitting in a drawer unused. I guess that means we're looking at roughly a scale diameter prop, 8x6 or something similar. Just as well really because there isn't enough clearance for anything much bigger.

Pete
Mmm. 8x6 on 7.2v 400 and 2.33 mini olympus box, but 7x5 on a 6v 400.

That reminds me - I need to upgrade my tiger moth to an 8x6 wood, and a 3:1 gearbox...

7x5E should be fine on mini olympus...should pull around 8-9A WOT.

Ive flown a 17oz model on 6x4/2.33/3sLIPO actually. It flew OK. Perfectly adequate at around 6A...but the 7x5 got me 40 degree climbs...and...well...er..it wasn't a SCALE model
Oct 06, 2005, 01:59 AM
Thread OP
Although no more building has taken place, I have been investigating colour schemes. Here are the two I like, although the wife tells me I'm building the PC10 and white one.

I'm also beginning to wonder if this might prove a suitable vehicle for the 7x4 4 bladed prop that I've had hanging around for about 20 years. Funilly enough, it's off the same model that the Moska's Lewis gun came from. Last seeing service on a Mills .75 powered BE2e.

Pete
Oct 06, 2005, 02:10 AM
Light and floaty does it
If it will motivate her to take those awfully nice pictures she takes, I think PC10 and white is it...
I do like the between-wars silver ones though, I thought the Shuttleworth one was more elegant when it flew in those colours.
Oct 06, 2005, 03:01 AM

Pete, You could try this one!

For those not tired of seeing pics from my Dad's time in the RAF......

Cannot say what the colour would be, but I'm sure someone can research 6 Sqdn......Egypt in the early twenties.

Ian

Quick Reply