Birth of a Blackburn Buccaneer! - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 14, 2002, 01:24 PM
My cat up close

Birth of a Blackburn Buccaneer!

I started drawing up plans to build a 480 speed pusher/Gunther prop. powered Blackburn Buccaneer.
Anyone else ever attempt this design?
Here is a picture of my rough drawings on wall lining paper.

Matt.
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2002, 03:07 AM

Buccanier

Hi!
I'm not sure if my case is the one you asked for but... some time ago I built and flown PSS Buccanier. It was made of Depron, with flat fuselage (the original shape is somewhat complex),slightly enlarged wing and tail (wingspan was 1m, airframe weight just 300 grams, 450 with electronic equipement). Model flew very well, but it was lost in accident when flying horizontal stabilizer just flew out. Just before this accident I planned to put S400 in nose.
I'm really interested in progress of your project, so please, keep us informed!
Regards,

Wiktor
May 15, 2002, 03:49 PM
My cat up close
Hello Wiktor,
Nice to know someone else has modelled this great British aircraft besides myself!
I have been working on the model today,only started drawing the plans yesterday,it has now progressed to the fuselage being half built!
At this rate,I expect it will be completed in a couple of weeks.
I plan to use a brushless motor for best performance from a hand launch.Should fly very well,as long as I can keep the empty model weight around 6 oz.
Here is a picture of progress so far:
PS I know the grain is the wrong way around on the fin,it will be altered later.

Matt.
May 17, 2002, 07:25 AM
Master
Matt

As a great lover of British heavy metal I am knocked out by your Buccaneer project.

On your plan the motor is quite a distance from the CG, so I think the idea of going to brushless (e.g. the small Hacker) is very valid as it could avoid balancing problems.

Best of luck with your project.
May 17, 2002, 10:12 AM

Great looking Buccaneer

Matt

You are one quick builder...A good one at that...I personally like the Buccaneer...Please keep us posted with pics...

Great work...
May 20, 2002, 10:29 AM
Former Durafly Brand Manager
Bipeflyer, how could i get hold of this plan. Thanks
May 22, 2002, 02:44 PM
My cat up close
Hi guys,thanks for your comments!
The model will be completed hopefully in a few week's time.
I had to take a break on the Bucc for a short time,as my F-14 is getting prepared fot flight testing.
The plan will be released after flight testing on the Buccaneer,please send me your email addresses if you would like to aquire a copy of the plan,about 6 a copy.

Thanks,Matt.
May 23, 2002, 08:11 AM
Speed Demon
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisP
On your plan the motor is quite a distance from the CG, so I think the idea of going to brushless (e.g. the small Hacker) is very valid as it could avoid balancing problems.

Best of luck with your project.
You could also use a drive shaft to move the motor closer to the CG.
May 23, 2002, 11:33 AM
crazy builder

nice bucco

Hey i like the bucco its one of my favorite jets. a couple of years back i helped a guy build a twin d/f slimer version that was very fast

perhaps its time to try a carved foam d/f bucco with two of those cheap gws fan units. it has plenty of wing area and simple intake shapes so it should fly nice.

if anyone has the book 'project cancelled' it has a nice 3 view of the supersonic bucco that was propsed as a alternative to the TSR2.
Jun 17, 2002, 01:17 PM
My cat up close

Buccaneer update!

Hi,I had good intentions of getting this model ready in a couple of weeks,but due to me having to get my other project finished,things have been a little delayed.
Got back in the saddle today,this is current progress since the first pictures were posted.
Need to make dummy motor tubes next.
Here it is!

Matt.
Jun 18, 2002, 01:57 PM
My cat up close
OK Buccaneer lovers,here is the latest stage,photo just taken.
Made the motor tubes from white beaded styrofoam,also finished nose planking/sanding.Nose block cants upwards, just like the real one does (did)

Matt.
Jun 18, 2002, 03:29 PM
Hacker motoren rules :)
that starts to remind me of the Swedish SAAB-105 SK-60...

/Philip
Jun 22, 2002, 06:04 PM
My cat up close
Latest pics today (Saturday)
Just ordered a MEGA 16/15/4 brushless motor and JES 30 ESC,
Price for both? Approx $145plus $2.50 to anywhere from Japan.
http://aircraft-world.com/default.asp
Also ordered 10 CP1300's to make it fly like a jet.
Check out the website-it's really well presented,all electric site.
The MEGA 16/15/4 is the same physical size and approx. weight as a standard 400.

More as it happens........
Matt.
Jun 22, 2002, 06:09 PM
My cat up close
Latest pics today (Saturday)
Just ordered a MEGA 16/15/4 brushless motor and JES 30 ESC,
Price for both? Approx $145plus $2.50 to anywhere from Japan.
http://aircraft-world.com/default.asp
Also ordered 10 CP1300's to make it fly like a jet.
Check out the website-it's really well presented,all electric site.
The MEGA 16/15/4 is the same physical size and approx. weight as a standard 400.

More as it happens........
Matt.
Aug 15, 2002, 04:44 PM
My cat up close

buccaneer update

For those interested in this model,here are the latest pictures.I haven't had the time to get on with the building lately,built some more today,the fuse is almost completely planked up now.
More as it happens!

Matt.