Jul 12, 2001, 11:58 PM
KLH
KLH
Pack Rat
Thread OP

Bleriot III on floats

Just got back from our annual 20 day vacation/business road trip in the CA, OR, WA,and ID areas. Took along several slowflyers just in case. When the business part of our trip is finished we stay at a little cabin in Idaho on Twin Lakes (close to Coeur d'Alene). The weather this year was really great, got to fly my modified Bleriot III on floats 6 out of the 7 days we were at the lake. I'm an early riser which works out great for flying a 10 oz plane off of water. It's rare that there is any wind on the lake in the early AM and some times it dies off to almost nothing in the PM also.
There are very few people up and about on the lake between 5 and 7 AM so the only folks that got to enjoy the flying each AM were myself, a large flock of resident geese and several fisherman who just quit fishing and watched this little plane quietly fly around doing touch and goes. Two local Osprey's weren't quite as happy with the plane. I think they thought the plane was competing for their food. Any way I really can't put into words how great each of those 30-40 min. flights was. I have some other float/amphibian planes but I don't beleive it gets any better than flying this incredibly quiet, slow, graceful, little plane around a mist covered mountain lake in the early AM.

Kern
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2001, 01:51 AM
That sounds wonderful. I love flying my B III at daybreak. I go out just about every morning. I loved the full moon in the West we had around a week ago. That and the colorful sunrise to the East were beautiful backdrops for the B III.

RB
Jul 13, 2001, 08:37 AM
AMA 697691 / FAA 13675
Very cool! How about some pictures of the BIII with floats?
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Jul 13, 2001, 10:34 AM
KLH
KLH
Pack Rat
Thread OP
I should get some photos back by next week that my wife took during one of the PM flights, not sure if she zoomed in on the plane or not, we'll see. I think I've got some photos of it when I was testing the floats in our pool some time back. I'll try and find them and then you guys will have to walk me through the process of posting them. I can design, build and fly airplanes but about the only thing I can do with a computer is E mail and get info from the net.

Kern

[This message has been edited by KLH (edited 07-13-2001).]
Jul 13, 2001, 11:19 AM
Kern,

You should scan them and convert them to JPG. IMO, around 10" in size at 72 DPI is a good size. Compress them to around 50 to 100 K.

You need a place to put them so you can link to them. If you email me a couple, I'd be happy to put them in my PhotoPoint album and post the links.

RB
Jul 13, 2001, 02:50 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
Just think if you tried that with a IC plane at 5 AM!
Jul 13, 2001, 02:57 PM
KLH
KLH
Pack Rat
Thread OP
RB47
I'm still looking for the photos, I think they're on a CD. Just got to much stuff around here.

Kern
Jul 13, 2001, 03:09 PM
KLH
KLH
Pack Rat
Thread OP
Fred
I think an .049 on that Lake at 5 AM might get me a deserved .357 response.

Kern
Jul 15, 2001, 06:36 AM
Here are Kern's nifty pictures... I hope.

@$#$%^ Photopoint that I paid $20 for because I wanted a reliable photo place seems to be kaput. I'm trying yahoo for the first time, so here goes.

Here's a quote of Kern's description of the photos.

==================
Attached are a couple of photos of the Bleriot III that I took in April. The floats are built out of 1/32 balsa covered with a clear light weight iron on covering and weigh 22g each. Total weight of both floats with their carbon fiber struts is 55g. Also attaached is a photo of another amphibian of my own design (Puffin) that I have been flying for about 2 years. It started out with a POT 2 which would ROG but didn't have enough qip to get it off the water so it got a 6v 280 on 4 Tadirans/CR-2s which goes pretty good. The wheels including the steerable nose wheel can be removed in about 1 minute.
=================

They're in list view to make the url short. Just click on b1 etc. or click on the red "thumbnail" to the right just above the list.

http://y42.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/ch...ern%27s+Photos

[This message has been edited by Red Baron 47 (edited 07-15-2001).]
Jul 15, 2001, 08:47 AM
AMA 697691 / FAA 13675
Oh, I love it! Thanks, guys.

The BIII on floats...who would have thought!

Kern,

Could you please provide some dimensions for the BIII floats?

P.S. When you remove the gondola...bad things happen man! Just ask Bleriot!

[This message has been edited by Greg Covey (edited 07-15-2001).]
Jul 15, 2001, 05:27 PM
Cool idea...is there a float kit that can be purchased or only scratch built?

[This message has been edited by fyerzrus (edited 07-15-2001).]
Jul 15, 2001, 07:41 PM
KLH
KLH
Pack Rat
Thread OP
fyerzrus,
I dont know if there are any floats that size on the market or not, I didn't look. When I get a bug to build something I usually just jump in and go for it. I think you could use some of the foam floats that are on the market like those for the Wingo. Most of them are going to be a little larger than those I built but it wouldn't be to hard to shave a foam set down. Maybe the Wingo ones would work OK just the way they are. If you decided to build a set like mine out of balsa it's pretty easy and if you run into a problem give me a shout, I'll try to help.

Kern
Jul 15, 2001, 11:16 PM
Kern, thanks for the offer...I'll keep it in mind. Right now I am building a glow powered Piper J-3 Cub with a 90 inch wing span. It is a Great Planes kit and I bought the Great Planes float kit for it. Should be really fun. It would also be really cool to have something like a Bleriot with floats too. I could fly on much smaller lakes or ponds with less hassle. Dave
Jul 16, 2001, 12:16 AM
KLH
KLH
Pack Rat
Thread OP

Greg,
Here are the overall dimensions:
Length- 18"
Top width- 1 1/8"
Beam at step 2 1/8"
Heigth at step 2 1/8"
Step 9/16"
Stern post heigth 7/8"
Step location 8" from stern
Stern post angle 6 degrees (approx)
I don't have any drawings so the above are taken right off of one of the floats.
I just used a French curve to shape the profile for the forebody.
There are 7-1/32" bulkheads, including the stern post, more or less evenly spaced, 4 in the forebody and 3 in the afterbody.
There are no longerons in the floats, the sides, top, and crossgrain bottom are just butt glued together to save weight.
The bulkheads are C grain balsa, the rest is medium weight. The bulkheads all have the same shape, just vary in height.
Hope that helps. Like most of my other projects, no plans and not real scientific, just kind of, thats about right. Sometimes it works and sometime it does'nt.
Almost forgot, the step is just (1/4"-1/2")
aft of the CG. On my BIII it's easy to adjust the CG because the bat. are attached to the fuselage with Velcro although on this set up the CG did not change more than 1/4" when using the landing gear or floats.

Kern

Jul 16, 2001, 10:10 AM
AMA 697691 / FAA 13675
Thanks, Kern!

I'm going to the Adirondack mountains this Fall and realized that we are staying on a private lake and I have no planes with floats!

This lake (7th Lake in the Fultan chain) is like glass in the morning and evenings. A quiet slowflyer like the BIII would not disturb anyone. A Zagi would be ok in the afternoon...noisy! I hope it floats!

Those Wingo floats (HLFK5506) are expensive! $37! I'll make my own foam ones for free instead.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/hlwingo.htm

[This message has been edited by Greg Covey (edited 07-16-2001).]

Quick Reply