Oct 03, 2005, 12:12 PM
Libertas in Infinitum
Thread OP

So this is pretty much good-bye

No, I'm not leaving because I'm PO'd or upset or any other Whining offense. Simply put, my interests have changed and I just can't find the time to build or fly planes anymore. And because of that, there really is no reason for me to hang out here. I guess I could drop a "fake" posting or reply everyonce in a while to simply keep my ratio in good order so I can participate in LUP, but then that would be well ... wrong.

Over the past 2.5 years, I've found myself drifting further and further away from RC modeling ... unsurprisingly those years coincide with the birth of my Daughter. I've found that I just don't have to time to fly anymore, and if I can't fly, why build? However, don't shed a tear for me yet. During those years, I've rediscoverd my guitar. And in so doing, I've discovered just how much my daughter loves music. She loves to strum along on my Uke when I'm playing and will even stand infront of my guitar stands and pluck at strings while making up songs ... cool. So ... needless to say, I've found (rediscovered) a new hobby that involves my daughter, that alone is a bigger high than any amount of flying has ever given me. Hopefully one day, my daughter will point to all the planes in the garage and ask what those are for, but till then, I'll be rock'n with my baby.

That being said, I will still drop by now and then to lurk and laugh at the petty arguments here and watch conservatives and liberals do exactly same things they accuse the other side of doing.

As a Libertarian, I've had the pleasure of at one time or another agreeing with pretty much everyone here. Which brought me great pleasure knowing that I can find common ground with everyside.

Before I go, I'd like to make a few observations.

1) People take politics way too seriously, gleefully waiting for any chance to run the other side through the mud, or steadfastly defending the indefensible

2) No amount of yelling, name calling and whining has every successfully changed the minds of the "other" side.

3) Name calling and changing topics, apparently is a viable defense when you have no valid response.

4) Regardless of what the argument is, it is very apparent that everyone has the country's best interest in mind. Just because each side see's the solution differently does not diminish that fact.

In closing, I'd like to say that I've had a lot of fun here. Watching and participating has given me some pretty clear insights into what and how many people think.

'Dog ... dude ... you're the man.

Those of you have served or are serving ... you have my upmost respect and thanks, espeically those of you who served in Vietnam. In many ways, my family would not be in this great country if not for you.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

My name is Thomas ... and I'm out.
Oct 03, 2005, 12:44 PM
LcJ
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Good Luck in all you do.

LcJ
Oct 03, 2005, 05:29 PM
Go get them Meg!
Tears well up. A voice of reason and genuine insight is becoming a... musician?!?!. Kidding.

I figured you were into the primacy of family phase. It's short. Suck every last drop out of it you can. When your kids are older and think dad's a doofus, you'll be back. If I wasn't doing this from work, I probably wouldn't be as active either.

Pleasure knowing you!

Russ
Oct 03, 2005, 06:00 PM
Almost a Pilot
Thomas,
As Russ said, enjoy your daughter while you can - it passes far too quickly. Treat every day as a gift.

I also put the hobby aside when my kids were young and didn't pick it up again until about 4 years ago, when my youngest daughter was 18.

You'll be back.

Ric
Oct 03, 2005, 11:35 PM
See ya Thomas enjoy the early years now.

Ya no where we all at

Sluf7
Oct 04, 2005, 02:28 AM
you will be back in a few years. Meantime enjoy the break totally free of angst or guilt.
Oct 04, 2005, 06:03 AM
Fe Fi Fo Fum
Quote:
4) Regardless of what the argument is, it is very apparent that everyone has the country's best interest in mind. Just because each side see's the solution differently does not diminish that fact.
I don't want to start an argument on such a lovely thread...but...

It's only the 300 odd million Americans in the world that put America first

The other 6 billion of us just hope that one day you stop looking inwards...and realise there's other people sharing this little rock.

Rich

P.S. See ya Thomas.
Last edited by Richard ll; Oct 04, 2005 at 06:23 AM.
Oct 04, 2005, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5
'Dog ... dude ... you're the man.
+1, Russ is like the Miss Manners of RCGroups. I've spent so much time at work since the "take your ball and play elsewhere" post so I haven't given it a lot of thought, but I'm close to my swan song here as well. Not enough going on in my regular haunts (High Performance, 1/2A, Composite Construction, HLG's) and just not worth wading through the malcontents here. It's like having to eat 5 lbs. of *[email protected] to eat a twinkie.

'dog, it's been a pleasure to have made your aquaintance, I have the utmost respect for your opinions and will miss your witty sarcasm. Your mind is like a MOAB in a bar fight around here, and I bow to your greatness.

Logan, Your posts remind me that I am a libertarian, despite posts I make in defense of one side of the aisle or the criticism of the other. Politicians are equally worthless, and it's my belief that it's time to tear the country down and start fresh. We couldn't do any worse than we are and I feel that a third party will never be effective in changing the course of our nation-the corruption runs too deep.

Dave Hedrich: If you are listening, we still miss you.

NewbieX: We've had our differences, but I respect your tenacity and that you have never dropped to being petty or personal in pursuit of winning a debate.

Jim:Thankyou for allowing me to be a part of the Ezone during a troubled part of my life. My column was short lived, but helped me through some really bad times. RC groups has been a second home for a long, long time and I appreciate what you have done for electric modelling and and for the contacts and relationship that RCGroups has allowed me to cultivate.

I'm too tired to post comments to every member (worked 74 hours last week, 7 days and now am working 12 hours every day), but suffice to say that I'll miss most of you a great deal. I'll poke in my On-Topic fora once in a while, but I'm done.

[Rocco]Catch you on the flip side...[/Rocco]

C. D. Campbell
Oct 04, 2005, 12:49 PM
Al
Al
Low level Blabber
As you can see I don't post very often and my interset in the hobby goes in spurts. I have been around on ezone since 1999 and have enjoyed reading your posts and "watching" the action. Your contributions to my entertainment will be missed. Enjoy your time with your daughter. Mine is now 13 and as others have said the time goes quickly. I'm still thankful that everytime she leaves to go to school, she gives me a hug and a kiss in front of her friends, I guess I'm not a doofus yet. Good life Thomas.
Oct 04, 2005, 04:06 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Logan 5, you have found Sanctuary.

With my kids and schedule I too sometimes find it difficult to fly. One of my saviors has been the discovery of those little flat foamies. Those little planes are cheap and can be flown nearly anywhere on a calm evening. If you find you have the itch to fly you might give one a try.

Good luck Thomas. You be sure to savor the time with your daughter. Those babies grow up all too soon.

Wiz
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest
Oct 04, 2005, 07:32 PM
Thomas,

For what it's worth, I wonder if you've ever chucked a boomerang. I've gotten into them in the last few months and the reason I mention it is they take a ton less time and trouble and are really cheap and easy to carry everywhere and just toss for however long you want, almost anywhere. With your busy family life, it might be good to have a similar hobby that doesn't take much time... a minute here, a minute there even.

They give me many of the same pleasures as airplanes and free flight but you control so much more with the throw. Some I throw in my house, some in a ball park, one goes the length of a soccer field, one stays in the air for 20 or 30 seconds, and up to minutes with thermals. There's so much more to it than I thought.

Above all, it's very convenient and has a very low hassle ratio. I keep them with me all the time in my bag. They range from 4.5 grams to 112 grams.

I'm surprised more people into planes aren't into boomerangs too. I used to think they were relatively boring until I saw them fly and looked into it and started catching them without taking a step.

Good luck with the family.
Last edited by jay flay tway; Oct 04, 2005 at 07:33 PM. Reason: clarity
Oct 05, 2005, 07:51 AM
God is good
Thomas,

We'll miss ya!!! Always a sane voice in the midst of confusion.

Enjoy your family, while you can. They grow up awfully fast and are gone before you know it.

Drop in now and then to keep us informed, and may peace be with you.

Don
Oct 05, 2005, 12:05 PM
Closed Account
Having a kid ?. Geez, that seems a little extreme. If you wanted something that was noisy, messy, uncooperative, and irritating wouldn't it have been easier just to buy a glow powered plane ?.

Na, Na, Na, NA

Na, Na, Na, Na

Hey, Hey, Hey

GOODBYE !
Oct 05, 2005, 02:56 PM
Restful User
Ah ha. Be careful, you'll hit 30 in no time at all and then the Sandmen will haul you off to Carousel.

Don't fret. I flew in the '70's, graduated, worked on my career, got back into R/C a few years ago. It's like the Twilight Zone, you can go but you'll never leave...

--Bill
Oct 05, 2005, 03:24 PM
Equinsu Ocha
Good words logan, I didn't write a swan song but I am not nearly as active as I once was especially in L,U+P.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply